Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maternity Leave and coming back to work before one year

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

*A question from a friend without an account*

I have a few questions regarding maternity leave and hope you can help me with my questions.

1. I understood that I get 6 weeks before + 8 weeks after the birth with full salary. After that, it's 67% of my salary. Is it 67% of the gross salary or net? My net is really low as I'm in a high tax class and also have extra private pension and insurance.

2. What happens if I decided to go back to work after 6 months, would I get something to support daycare or any extra money get? For financial reasons, looks like it's better to stay at home with the child but for my career, I prefer to go back to work. Wondering what the law says about that as I couldn't find anything about that. 

3. Is it easy to find a kita before 1 year? What can I do if I can't find? Do I get any financial support?

Thanks!!!

Hi.. 

When is your friend having the baby? There is lots and lots of posts here about maternity leave where they should be able to find most of these answers.  Also I think that each Bundesland  is different in terms of support. Im guessing that you are in Berlin 

Familien geld, Kinder geld ...  

Here is a basic overview about Mutterschaftsgeld  in English.. . it is netto based on your last 3 months salary.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/maternity_allowance.html

In German

https://www.eltern.de/beruf_geld/recht_geld/mutterschaftsgeld.html_

Here is something about Berlin I found... about financial support

https://www.berlin.de/special/familien/4271187-2864562-geld-fuer-familien-welche-zuschuesse-elt.html

i would first see about getting and confirming a krippe or Tagesmutter place before your friend even starts to think about restarting work.

They need to know that it is really hard/impossible to get a krippe place for little kids. My son started with two years old and my daughter with 10 months.  and this was in Bavaria, Berlin is infamous for the lack of places at the moment.

It is like winning the lottery. 

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/leben/fehlende-kitaplaetze-berlin-betreuung-verzweifelte-eltern-1.4399734

https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article209827677/So-finden-Sie-in-Berlin-einen-Kita-Platz-fuer-Ihr-Kind.html

Hello,

I am currently in maternity leave at the moment and can help clarify most parts of your post.

Yes, you will get compensation for 6 weeks before and 8 weeks  after birth. I live in NRW and after my (very rough) calculations I receive about 65% of my salary in Elterngeld and about 197.00 per month in Kindergeld. Getting these two income sources sorted was incredibly stressful and required a lot of paperwork, I did not get paid a cent until my DD was 5 months old. Yes, I got back pay but it was still frustrating because I am married to a German and have been living here for five years---they just wanted more and more proof. 

Someone can correct me, but I am not aware of any financial extras available for women who decide to return to work before one year of maternity leave is completed. I thought about returning at the 6 month mark myself but ultimately decided against that because I was still in postpartum recovery mode. I encourage you to consider your health and that of your baby before voluntarily going back to work too early. How my health was affected really took me by surprise and I had to change my plans. 

Former Kindergarten employee here. Getting childcare is a real minefield all over Germany. Most of the families I know, including the women in my 'krabbelgruppe' started trying to get a spot at a Kindergarten or Tagesmutter group when their child was a newborn. Some have been successful and some have not. I have even heard of some families choosing to baptize a their baby in one church over another just out of hopes of getting a spot at a particular kita. I think this is insane but I do understand why some people might feel the need to do this. My best advice: call a prospective kindergarten directly (emails won't be answered) explain your situation and ask for a tour of the facilities. Network with other families who can 'put in a good word' with local kitas.  Most Kindergartens will not accept a child under 2 years old which is why so many women take the financial hit and extend their maternity leave beyond a year. 

In my case, my DH's Mom will be taking care of DD twice a week starting in September---which is awesome, but I realize not everyone has this option.