House Construction Companies

4 posts in this topic

Dear All, 

Has anyone experience in constructing  a house with the below company  https://www.massa-haus.de/  I visisted their model house but all i found that they are good in the sales and talking part. There was no one from the technical side to discuss. 

I also found another company  http://www.ksw-massivhaus.de/  and visisted them too. They have technical staff who walked me through all details of the construction. 

The 1st company is since 40 years in germany but there are not good google reviewes. The 2nd one has good reviews.

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with either of these companies and could share their experience on the same. 

Regards,

Thads.

Hi - no I don't personally have any experience of either company - but have 10 years experience in the industry from the UK, and my German wife is an architect here in Hamburg... so her boss might know them, and together could offer insight into any questions or concerns you might have...

- then main feedback I get is that there's a real shortage of available trades at the moment - it's not uncommon to be on a 2 year waiting list for building jobs...

Happy to chat if you want to message me

I have some experience building a house in Germany. It did not go too well, but in the end it all worked out fine. There are pros and cons to building a house using companies like the ones you listed below. The pros are that they use a lot of the same subcontractors over and over to build the same kind of house so they work together really well like a fine oiled machine. Assuming nothing major goes wrong, you can have a house built quickly that you are really satisfied with.

However, when building a house, some shit usually goes wrong: a bricklayer crew gets sick, weather prevents roofers from working, the work then needs to be done at a later date and in less time. This causes them to cut corners and cover up their mistakes so they can finish the house by the agreed upon date in the contract. Hopefully these mistakes get discovered later by another crew before it is too late to be properly fixed. In many cases the mistakes will be discovered by you, years later when you wonder why there is mold in the walls or you discover your floor is buckling up because there is a leak in the Fussbodenheizung. 

Another con is that the Bauleitung used by the building company, in the long run, acts in the company's best interests, not yours. They are more willing to look the other way when things are not done properly in order to get the house done on time. In this case I recommend you get an independent building inspector (unabhängiger Baubegleiter) that works for you. Check out the Bauherren-Schutzbund (https://www.bsb-beratungsnetz.de). Ask them a bit about what they do. They know the reputations of contractors and builders in your area. And can help you with all the paperwork, permits and legal crap. It costs a few bucks, but it is well invested and will save you time and money in the end, and, most importantly, will help you sleep peacefully at night.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't have any experience working with the companies you linked to. They might be great companies for all I know.

12 minutes ago, chillmost said:

In this case I recommend you get an independent building inspector (unabhängiger Baubegleiter) that works for you. Check out the Bauherren-Schutzbund (https://www.bsb-beratungsnetz.de). Ask them a bit about what they do. They know the reputations of contractors and builders in your area. And can help you with all the paperwork, permits and legal crap. It costs a few bucks, but it is well invested and will save you time and money in the end, and, most importantly, will help you sleep peacefully at night.

Definitely agree, it's worth paying the extra to have an independent 'gamekeeper' working on your side - in Germany its also common for the architect to do that job as well, much less common in the UK.