Time frame and hours for musical practitioner in apartment

40 posts in this topic

Could any one please tell me what time frame, and up to how many hours music practitioners can practice in apartment building?

Is it

Monday - Saturday   9am -10pm.

Not allowed at all on Sunday.

Why dont you use the search function... ?

It would save everyone having to deal with your pointless threads...

18 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Could any one please tell me what time frame, and up to how many hours music practitioners can practice in apartment building?

Is it

Monday - Saturday   9am -10pm.

Not allowed at all on Sunday.

I would also avoid practicing between 1-3pm. I do not know the rules for your Bundesland but familes with younger or older members are often sleeping then. 

2 hours a day of practicing I think is also enough for others to accommodate in their routines. 

8 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

and what instrument?

classic vocal.

I have been doing it only between 8:30 - 9:30pm, only about 15 min, never more than 30 min, never on Sunday.

All other neighbors do not complain, only upstairs. She threatened me to go to police, and lawyer.

She acts like crazy woman.

Nach einem BGH-Urteil ist eine Ruhezeit von 20 Uhr bis 8 Uhr und von 12 Uhr bis 14 Uhr in Ordnung. Damit bleibe ausreichend Zeit zum Musizieren.

https://www.zeit.de/news/2018-10/26/toetoeroetoeoe-im-reihenhaus-bgh-urteilt-ueber-trompetenspiel-181026-99-536216

In case your German is not unto scratch, you can only play until 8pm, so you were way over the limit. Your neighbours have a right to complain.

Our shared wall neighbor is a trained opera singer. We love to hear her practice. Never look at the clock, though. The other Sunday she was singing and playing the piano along with a floor bass (whatever it's called) and a violin. It was heavenly.

'Twas not ever thus! We are all beginners at some point...:D

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The other Sunday she was singing and playing the piano along with a floor bass (whatever it's called) and a violin. It was heavenly.

FYI

There is a difference between a "Trained Singer" and a "wailing banshee"...  

I am not professional opera singer, but quote trained soprano. I am singing in a choir that you will have to pass exam to be a member. We are preparing for November performance with 3 Brahms.

I must say she is obsessed. Only once I was singing in two pm on Saturday, she reacted unbelievable.

I tried to figure out why. So I rock music loud several times even after 10 pm. She never complained. Then I played classic around 9 pm. I chose the music and played it in a volume quite similar to as if I was  singing. She banged her floor which is my ceiling like crazy. 

I can only say she is pathetic. She is obsessed with my singing.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I am not professional opera singer, but quote trained soprano. I am singing in a choir that you will have to pass exam to be a member. We are preparing for November performance with 3 Brahms.

I must say she is obsessed. Only once I was singing in two pm on Saturday, she reacted unbelievable.

I tried to figure out why. So I rock music loud several times even after 10 pm. She never complained. Then I played classic around 9 pm. I chose the music and played it in a volume quite similar to as if I was  singing. She banged her floor which is my ceiling like crazy. 

I can only say she is pathetic. She is obsessed with my singing.

9pm, after 10 pm. No wonder  your neighbour is upset.  I think you are the  pathetic one- you seem to have no empathy, and constantly feel the world revolves around you and your desires. Do you have any idea how sound can carry in apartment buildings?  Next door might not hear, but neighbour above may hear very clearly. Have you thought about practising in the nearest forest?^_^

38 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

9pm, after 10 pm. No wonder  your neighbour is upset.  I think you are the  pathetic one- you seem to have no empathy, and constantly feel the world revolves around you and your desires. Do you have any idea how sound can carry in apartment buildings?  Next door might not hear, but neighbour above may hear very clearly. Have you thought about practising in the nearest forest?^_^

I said when I played rock after ten pm she did not complain.

Are u really reading or just looking something to accuse? Desperately?

My practice was always before 9.3opm.

I went to police today. They told I did nothing wrong. Practicing 15 min a day before ten pm is totally allowed. She can call them, but they would not give me any trouble. I am perfectly fine.

I talked with my neighbor then. She allowed me (?) to practice for 15 min a day 7-8 pm. I gave her my number in case any day she has headache and would not like 15 min suffering.

I rather think it is her problem. She told me she has headache. I told her it is ok I can compromise. 

38 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

o wonder  your neighbour is upset.  I think you are the  pathetic one- you seem to have no empathy, and constantly feel the world revolves around you and your desires. Do you have any idea how sound can carry in apartment buildings?  Next door might not hear, but neighbour above may hear very clearly. Have you thought about practising in the nearest forest?^_^

6 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

https://www.zeit.de/news/2018-10/26/toetoeroetoeoe-im-reihenhaus-bgh-urteilt-ueber-trompetenspiel-181026-99-536216

In case your German is not unto scratch, you can only play until 8pm, so you were way over the limit. Your neighbours have a rig

I will talk with her.

Suppose, the Hausordnung says no playing instruments after 20.00 pm, Ruhezeit after 22.

I practice acoustic guitar between these times, fingerpicking, halfheartedly. It's probably much more soft than a TV on middle volume when watching a blockbuster, or playing records not too loudly. Will the neighbors have the right to make complaints if they are able to hear it?

14 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I said when I played rock after ten pm she did not complain.

Perhaps she was not home that one time. 

No it is not illegal for you to practice your singing as the police informed you.  But if you are disturbing your other neighbours, they can complain to the landlord or hausverwaltung and you could be told to vacate the flat.

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I would go fucking balistic too ...

Since a sizeable part of your existance seems to be based on getting up each morning and finding something on the internet to go balistic about, should we take this as a compliment? :D

50 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

But if you are disturbing your other neighbours, they can complain to the landlord or hausverwaltung and you could be told to vacate the flat.

Very good point. The OP should make notes of when she has spoken to the elderly neighbour inc. the conclusions and compromises reached. 

Then if the neigbour veers off into crazy land and starts to look for problems when there basically are none, then a paper trail has been laid.

I am sure that many on the board have to deal with truculant elderly family and social circle members who cannot be detered from fixating on something. Reason goes out of the window. Something that the property management is also not unaware of. A quiet word an a  couple of documented examples can then go a long way to smoothing things along.