Can you apply for a German job while in the US?

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I will be going back to the US for a few months and would prefer to be able to apply and get a job in the Muenster area before returning. My husband is German and suggests that it can be done. I am searching for an admin asst, preferably in a school/KITA setting. Otherwise perhaps working in customer services or stocking etc in a shop just to start off with. Has anyone been able to land a german job before entering Germany? I have been living here since August 2016 and have all documents, and have been married since 2018. I have a b1 in German and recently completed the german integration course.

Many thanks

Shanei

It's certainly possible - with Skype interviews and other "modern" technologies.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that B1 German will qualify you for a school admin job or any customer-facing position, unless your spoken German is very good (and only for the latter in that case). Shelf-stocking is certainly a possibility until your German gets better - our local giant Edeka employs a squad of Eastern Europeans with little to no German, who are there solely to stock shelves. They don't even get Edeka smocks, so no one will get the idea to ask them any questions.

It is certainly possible, but as you would expect you will be taken much more seriously by companies if you have a local address or at least can convince them you will definately be in germany to work.  A lot of people apply from far afield without a concrete plan, any idea of visa/work permit needs, language skills etc and for this reason many overseas application are filtered out.

It is also much harder to interview from the us, not just because it will have to be telephone or video (how many Kitas can reliably set up video conferencing?) and its much harder to be a convincing candidate if it isnt face to face but also things like time differences can be a real pain.

11 minutes ago, lilyluv said:

Has anyone been able to land a german job before entering Germany?

Its common, we hire maybe 50% of our new starters from overseas at the moment.  But thats IT.  I seriously doubt the same is true for Kitas and supermarkets.

Honestly, if you are thinking of things like shelf stacking, I dont see any real chance of getting a job remotely.  I dont know about admin assistant roles, but Kitas genreally have staffing problems at the moment so maybe its not impossible, but I suspect only if you are a "staatlich anerkannt erzieher".  I dont see why they would hire an american in america for a role that as far as I know isnt an acute skills shortage here, even if that person swears blind they will be in Munster in time to start work.

Of course this is possible, and for many nationalities they cannot even enter Germany for job seeking without a special visa (if at all).

But, I would say it depends more on the company and industry.  I work in IT and I think almost every case I have heard of and participated in recently involved a first interview over phone conference/Skype with a second interview in person.  But, the IT industry is I think more open.

I think larger companies are more used to that and will be more open.  But for smaller companies such as Kita/school it might put them off to do such an approach.  

Certainly I would suggest that you make yourself available to attend a 2nd interview in person if requested. 

And you can certainly try.  

I got a job here while still in the US but I'm a dev.

I got zero traction til I started planning trips to Germany, and I could say in my cover letter "I'll be in Germany from x-y of zzzzzzzzzz and I would very much like to arrange an interview with you during that visit".  Or so.  I landed many interviews using this technique so it's definitely possible, but it is indeed a lot of work and possible expense.

but I would have grave doubts about finding anything in non tech/engineering fields from afar.

5 hours ago, lisa13 said:

but I would have grave doubts about finding anything in non tech/engineering fields from afar.

I agree. For science, tech, and engineering, is is highly possible.