Tax advisor fee, how to make sure he doesn't bill me too much

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I found a tax advisor to do my Steuererklarung. After some average experience with the LHV, and with various tax software, this year I'd like to use a full-fledged professional tax advisor.

However, he's asking for 100+/hour...how can I make sure he doesn't bill me 10 hours for my Steuererklarung? Is there a way to tell him to spend no more than 2-3 hours on it?

The Lohnsteuerhilfe is certainly the most economical alternative. Are you a regular employee? Because there are only so many deductions that employees can claim, and the Lohnsteuerhilfe people tend to know them all, because that's all they do.

Is there any particular reason why you think you'd be better off with a professional accountant? As you implied yourself, any potential tax refund will be eaten up by his fees fairly quickly at €100/hour. They usually work on a fixed scale that's based on your income - the "Steuerberatervergütungsverordnung" (try saying that 5 times fast after a couple of beers). That makes the fact that this guy wants to charge by the hour suspicious in and of itself.

hmmm, I also contacted someone from Toytown here and gave me the quote of €100/hour. I asked him if there is any limit, he said I should not worry that that amount is normal and all tax consultant charge the same. Luckily, I spoke with some colleagues and told me that is way too much. I should not sign any contract with him. So I advice you to do the same.

36 minutes ago, lonedev said:

hmmm, I also contacted someone from Toytown here and gave me the quote of €100/hour. I asked him if there is any limit, he said I should not worry that that amount is normal and all tax consultant charge the same. 

Tax consultants settle their accounts either in accordance with the aforementionedSteuerberatervergütungsverordnung or, if this is agreed separately, also on the basis of hourly rates. Hourly rates are applied, especially if the consulting costs are significantly higher than usual. It can also be a way to keep unwanted - because foreseeably difficult - clients at bay. 

The question is indeed what do you expect from a tax consultant after you have not been satisfied with an income tax assistance association?

If you are unhappy with doing it yourself via software or doing it with the help of a LHV, then you're gonna have to pay for a StB. Boo hoo. It is very typical that people complain about how much they pay their StB. You should feel that you can trust the pofessional that you are giving it to - if not you should not go to them. Ask for an hours estimate - it depends on your specific circumstances and what you have that needs to be entered.

People always compare the cost of their StB to how much their refund was and I consider this a false comparison. If you are required to file a return (e.g. more than just wage income), then the true comparison is the cost of the StB vs the cost of non-compliance.