Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keep bank account open after leaving Germany

4 posts in this topic

Hallo,

Unfortunately soon I will be leaving lovely Germany to go live in another EU country : (

However I would want to keep my bank accounts open. It seems however that my current banks are not very friendly to the idea. Commerzbank said that if I change my address to one abroad they will charge me 30 euro per month, which I find excessive. N26 said that would not be possible as the new country is not on their list of supported countries.

So can someone recommend a bank where I can transfer my Commerzbank account and will be more friendly to moving my address abroad once I leave. I will still need to receive and send payments in Germany.

Thank you in advance!

Deutsche Bank have an account and it can be opened online but I am not sure how much it costs, as do some others although you may need to know they do them so that you can tell the person in the branch or on the phone that it is possible.

Could you not just hide the fact that you moved from them?

(Although I don't know if they might get an automatic update if you de-register)

I use ING-Diba, and the only mail I get from them it advertising which only comes once every few months.  So if this was "lost" it would not be an issue, and you could keep your German address.

Legally, you are allowed to open and have a "basic" bank account in any EU country if you are an EU resident.  But they don't have to provide this service for free!

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/financial-products-and-services/bank-accounts-eu/index_en.htm