Bonfire night in Hamburg

20 posts in this topic

Is there anything happening in or around Hamburg on the 5th November?

FIREWRK.gif

Does anyone in Germany celebrate on that night?

For the last 4 years, I've been getting E-Mails asking me if there are any Bonfire Night celebrations on that night, but I've never heard of anything.

Don't you think it would be good to organise something? The problem would be the fireworks. Storing them or getting them in Germany before New Years Eve could be a problem.

What do you think?

Just a thought... :)

Good idea but check with your local ordnungsamt if you can light up fireworks on that day, I am sure it is illegal to let off fireworks any other day but new year without a 'Genehmigung'.

Bonfire night is one thing i miss...Have they banned fires now in the UK, i heard something many moons ago. probably not PC!

You might have to do a bit of travelling but most of the British Garrisons hold a bonfire night. Paderborn's is in Bad Lippspringe on the Site where they used to hold the Rhine Army Summer Show and is open to the public.

I did a couple of discos there in the early 90's, as a mobile disco. I visited most garrisons back then, from Cologne to RAF Gütersloh and along to Fallingbostel (20 or so), through a couple of British entertainment agencies based in Paderborn and Lübecke. Paderborn is a nice area... the cathedral is interesting as it's on two levels.

you'd hardly expect the Germans to celebrate the failed attempt at blowing up the British parlament. :P

The main fireworks of the year are on New Year's Eve, but if you like bonfires, many places have them on St Martin's day (11 November). There is also bonfire Sunday, which is the first Sunday in lent. On that day they even burn a dummy-witch - it's not quite Guy Fawkes but at least something...

did a couple of discos there in the early 90's, as a mobile disco.

funny i did some of them in the late 70's with a guy called Cambell Elder. He had a mobile disco called 'Disco 77'

@therealjade I think we all know that here :D but its just not 'Bonfire Night' and we burn Gideon Fawkes...

I have a few fireworks, really really bad ones I just used for a Halloween party. They are small and great for the Balcony but not for a big display. You are more then welcome to have them as They will just sit in my cupboard.

This is what I have

4 sparkler things (not the ones you hold)

2 fountain things

3 sparklers

5 flashes

1 small Catherine wheel

Plus due to them being small you don’t need permission to use them.

I have a few fireworks

Thanks for the offer!

I won't be doing anything myself, but would have gone to something nearby organised by others! I was considering doing something on a larger scale next year.

If the Germans celebrate Halloween, then why not try doing something on a commercial basis with Bonfire Night, together with sponsors. Any excuse for a firework party and the sponsors pay for it all. We need something British in Hamburg next year, more so as the Consulate in Hamburg will be closed before Bonfire Night 2006. :(

Just a thought!

As for getting permission to use fireworks on a larger scale, that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is being better than all the other firework shows that go on in Hamburg - it is a lot. If the show is not better, it won't get the press needed to make it a regular event.

I'm on the Hamburg press mailing list, so I guess that helps a little. I certainly won't try to organise anything on my own and it would take at least 10 months to get anything off the ground. A large show may even require a qualified licenced person, so a smaller show may also be better. Ideas...

My original request was only in order to answer the questions from others about possible parties, not really about organising one...

Hi Hamburgchris

I saw your post about Fireworks night.

I recon your nearest "proper one" will be Fallingbostel aprox 95 km away straight down the road and very near the autobahn exit.

Fallingbostel Garrison has one on the 5th and is open to the general public.

If interested let me know I can post details.

Dave

Fallingbostel Garrison has one on the 5th and is open to the general public... If interested let me know I can post details.

Yes please. I can add the details to my Out & About page on my website.

If possible, please include the usual security requirements, made available for members of the public, such as bringing a passport etc. I was in the garrison in 1992 doing discos and vehicles were stopped and checked with mirrors even then.

Do you still have to go up a long cobbled road?

Cheers!

As Promised info on Bonfire & Fireworks Display

Bad Fallingbostel Station

2 RTR Tank park Lumsden Barracks

Programme

Arrive 1700 - 1730

Winning Guy announcement 1745 - 1810

Lighting Fire 1815

Firework Display 1830 - 1850

Food & Drink on sale

Local directions

Exit at Bad Fallingbostel Autobahn

Turn left onto Von-Siemens str

Follow main road round to the right onto Hartemer weg(cobbled road)

200 m and you will pass the main gates each side of you

Carry on straight for about 400 m on the right hand side there is a tank park gate.

ID is not needed as its open to the main public, the rest of the camp is locked down.

If lost ask locals for "camp" then speak to the GGS (germany guard service) who will be in blue uniform who speak both english and German.

Dave

For anyone who can't get to any bonfire nights, the BBC will be streaming the Lewes Bonfire Night live on the 5th.

Click >>>>

The controversial Lewes Bonfire Night, in East Sussex (UK), is not for everyone. Our impression of this event bordered more on an occult, anti-religion event with burning crosses, rather than a bonfire night or Guy Fawkes night. We visited this event in the 80's and spotted some people dressed similiar to the Klu-Klux Klan. We vowed never to go again. Many vehicles were damaged by people standing on the top of them. The event will be streamed live on the Internet by the BBC and absolute traffic chaos has been forecast for the 400th anniversary!

The last time I went to a Bonfire Night was 15 years ago! :o