German Pension - Rentenbescheid - UK Brexit

4 posts in this topic

I am attempting to get information from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung (Bund) about the German State Pension that I should receive from June 2019.

Things were progressing well until I received a letter, dated 23 January 2019, stating the following:

"Sehr geehrter xxxxx,

wir bestaetigen den Eingang Ihrer Unterlagen.

Da das Vereinigte Koenigreich ab 30.03.2019 nicht mehr Mitgleid der EU sein wird and zum gegenwaertigen Zeitpunkt noch nicht klar ist, welche Rechtsvorschriften im Verhaeltnis zum Vereinigten Koenigreich ab dem 30.03.2019 Anwendung finden werden, kann Ihr Rentenantrag zur Zeit noch nicht abschleissend bearbeitet warden.

Die Uebersendung eines Rentenbescheides kann somit bis auf weiteres nicht erfolgen.

Wir werden Sie zum gegebenen Zeitpunkt ueber die weitere Verfahrensweise informieren"

I have not heard anything further.

Are the Deutsche Rentenversicherung (Bund) able to withhold my "Rentenbescheid" from me?

The fact that I don't have my "Rentenbescheid" is already impacting me as my company pension from a German company can't, apparently, be paid out to me if I can't provide the German company with a copy of my "Rentenbescheid"!

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Brexit has unfortunately thrown up all of these issues and you are stuck in the middle.  

But, given that Brexit is now delayed, then I would just reply and state that as the UK's current leaving date is October 2019 that the application should be processed in accordance with the current EU regulations which are applicable at this time and at the time when you will start to receive your pension in June.

I am currently applying for my German and UK pensions, and so far have not hit any hurdles.

However, I have not  received a Rentenbescheid as such, as this would be legally binding and they, like all of us, are in the dark about post-Brexit conditions. They did however give me a Rentenauskunft, which basically states what I get, under present rules. 

Their letter stated,  "Bis zum Austritt (meaning Brexit) gelten die europaïschen Verordnung zur Koordinierung der Systeme der sozialen Sicherheit uneingeschrankt weiter."

i.e. Up until Brexit, current regulations apply.

So maybe you could ask them for a Rentenauskunft to present to your German company, and be strong about saying you are claiming your current rights as an EU citizen and they should treat you under these terms.

Thanks for the feedback Feierabend.

I will do as you have suggested and request a Rentenauskunft  as well as a Rentenbescheid  and post any response(s) that I receive here.

I will, in my communication, also inform the DRV (Bund) that I will be copying in my local Member of Parliament (MP) who also happens to be the Minister of State for Employment in the Department of Work & Pensions here in the UK.