Working in Cottbus with Arbeitsbescheinigung in Berlin?

17 posts in this topic

Hiiii so as a defeated housing seeker in Berlin I'm planning on taking up housing in Cottbus and commuting into Berlin for work. Two questions:

- Any problems when I go to the Bürgeramt in Cottbus? Do they want to see my work contract, and possible problems that it's in Berlin?

- My work visa (Arbeitserlaubnis / Aufenthaltstitel) was issued in Berlin, stamped with the Berlin office seal. Any issues there as well?

18 hours ago, Pandekage said:

as a defeated housing seeker in Berlin I'm planning on taking up housing in Cottbus and commuting into Berlin for work.

Bad idea. The commute is brutal. I've spoken to students who live and study in Cottbus and have part-time jobs in Berlin and the commute is long.

- Any problems when I go to the Bürgeramt in Cottbus? Do they want to see my work contract, and possible problems that it's in Berlin?

- My work visa (Arbeitserlaubnis / Aufenthaltstitel) was issued in Berlin, stamped with the Berlin office seal. Any issues there as well?

To answer your administrative questions, the officials might think that you are nuts (and you would be to do this), however, legally this is not really a problem. You only need to go to the Bürgeramt in Cottbus to anmelden.The ABH in Cottbus is responsible for getting your file from Berlin; you only need to go to the ABH when it is time to renew your permit.

18 hours ago, Pandekage said:

so as a defeated housing seeker in Berlin I'm planning on taking up housing in Cottbus and commuting into Berlin for work.

Commuting that far on weekdays, seriously? My goodness, that's not just a defeat but an unconditional surrender. You would be well advised to reconsider...

In fact you recently posted asking about how it might be to live in Hellersdorf / Marzahn as a Chinese American. Don't wish to be too negative about this as I haven't actually lived in Cottbus, only visited a few times, but I'd also be fairly sceptical about living in deepest Brandenburg. 

I cannot recommend traveling on RE 2 to Cottbus. It is extremely stuffy, smells bad and it is unusual to go between Zoo and HBH without a fight breaking out amongst the passengers.

It is definitely a public transport oddity and not in a good sense.

Not your question I know but the thought of sitting on it to Cottbus fills me with horror.

1 minute ago, Kommentarlos said:

I cannot recommend traveling on RE 2 to Cottbus. It is extremely stuffy, smells bad and it is unusual to go between Zoo and HBH without a fight breaking out amongst the passengers.

It is definitely a public transport oddity and not in a good sense.

Not your question I know but the thought of sitting on it to Cottbus fills me with horror.

Sounds way more exciting than the coastal train service up here!

It is fair to say the journey is not uneventful.

Thankfully I have never needed to sit down ...

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Bad idea. The commute is brutal. I've spoken to students who live and study in Cottbus and have part-time jobs in Berlin and the commute is long.

To answer your administrative questions, the officials might think that you are nuts (and you would be to do this), however, legally this is not really a problem. You only need to go to the Bürgeramt in Cottbus to anmelden.The ABH in Cottbus is responsible for getting your file from Berlin; you only need to go to the ABH when it is time to renew your permit.

Thanks for the detailed answer! In regards to the commute itself it might actually be a decent time to study for an exam within my profession (architecture licensing), so hopefully it won't drain me/be a complete waste of time.

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

It is fair to say the journey is not uneventful.

Thankfully I have never needed to sit down ...

Edit: never mind, saw your first post.

I took it once on a Sunday for some WG viewings, was quite pleasant. But again it was a weekend, perhaps it's worse during weekdays?

6 hours ago, Pandekage said:

I took it once on a Sunday for some WG viewings, was quite pleasant. But again it was a weekend, perhaps it's worse during weekdays?

Perhaps you could do a test run to see what it is like during your commuting times? 

I travelled in and out of London for many years and the journey in rush hour was totally different to weekends and even during the day, I doubt the one you are proposing would be much different. Make sure you do it a few times, morning and evening to get a real idea of whet it would be like. I would not wish the sort of travel I had on anyone, and as for studying, I would not be thinking that will happen on the journeys. Is there nowhere else in a differene direction or area at alll that has accommodation that is available, affordable and suitable without living there?

16 hours ago, Pandekage said:

In regards to the commute itself it might actually be a decent time to study for an exam within my profession (architecture licensing), so hopefully it won't drain me/be a complete waste of time.

I used to be able to get some work done in the train in the mornings when I used to take the RE 1 (which usually has the newer trains), but was much too tired in the evenings to get anything productive done. YMMV

I haven't taken the RE 2 very often, but DB always seems to use the loud, old trains on that route. They don't seem conducive to getting work done. 

Have you tried looking in Spandau?

5 hours ago, engelchen said:

I haven't taken the RE 2 very often, but DB always seems to use the loud, old trains on that route. They don't seem conducive to getting work done.

To clarify I am referring to the RE2 run by Ostdeutsche Eisenbahn GmbH.

This is a different rolling stock and the air conditioning "system" is not up to a Berlin summer in the way the trusty DB trains that trundle between Charlottenburg and Friedrichstrasse manage to keep the temperature reasonably bearable. 

The rolling stock is also much less spacious and is somewhat claustrophobic to be in. 

Whether these two points contribute to the belligerent nature of the passengers I don't know. Perhaps the train mellows out once one is outside of Berlin either way.  The passengers are pretty short with each other during the winter too though. 

I have friend that comes in from Brandenburg (the city) to Zoo by train and she's done that for years. She doesn't usually work in the train, though. She sleeps on the way there. Perhaps Brandenburg is an option, but, like Engelchen said, I'd try Spandau first. 

The RE2 can suffer delays as it's a very long route from Cottbus to Wismar/Wittenberge and the section near Cottbus is only single track. This is why the VBB will cut the route in half from 2022 when the new contracts start (RE1 goes to ODEG, RE2 goes to DB) and new/refurbished rolling stock enters service. By the way it's a condition of the new contracts that WiFi has to be provided in all regional trains.

There are other places closer to Berlin than Cottbus. Why not look at those first? 

I was advised on applying for full apartments, but as someone who's a bit tentative about my future here I don't want to move into an empty flat, buy all the furniture/kitchen and sign internet/utility contracts, only to move out in six months to a year. Thus I've been restricting myself to furnished WG rooms (WG-Gesucht) and those are pretty sporadic in terms of location. And there are usually no listings outside of Berlin and other decently large cities (i.e. Potsdam, Cottbus)

Wow - that's some commute. I actually had to look at a map to see if there were alternative outside-Berlin nearby cities, thinking it might be a little bit like NRW (closely packed surrounding cities) - turns out, not so much. 

Anyway, I feel your pain - I've been looking for apartments for ages - everything either gets snapped up, or isn't officially advertised, but instead via grapevine. I have even tried pulling a Miranda Hobbes from Sex & The City, and whenever I see a removal van on a street I'd like to live in, I've started walking up to complete strangers moving out, telling them I live around the corner and am looking to move, and asking them if the apartment they are vacating is already taken. (I figure if my starting line is I'm desperate to move and I'm living on street x around the corner, they are less likely to think I'm a burglar jonesing the joint , or just plain weird, since they can walk a few blocks and check my name on the doorbell)

Anyway, I've not had much luck yet, but since Wednesday 1st May is a public holiday, I'm keeping my eyes peeled from now on, as those who have given notice on their apartment will be moving out over next days.