Landlords ask for the employment contract before concluding the rental agreement

8 posts in this topic

We are about to move to another city due to my job change. Let's say that my current contract ends by July 31 and the new job starts from August 1. However, I may obtain my new contract near the end of July.  

My problem is that if I want to sign a rental agreement in June (or even May), I do not have my next job contract yet to show to the landlord. Also, my current employment contract clearly states its termination by the end of July. So, I'm somehow clueless about how to handle this!

In fact, I've had this job for the past five years and also have been living in my current apartment for the same period, and I want to convince the landlord to at least sign a draft version of the contract (like a reservation) until I present him my new employment contract  

in July (before the move-in).

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Can you not get your new employment contract in advance? Will you move without one?

I will get my employment contract before MOVING to the new place, but not too much in advance (e.g. 2 months) to attach it for my rental agreement.

What about the others in "we"? Do they work?

I would hand in your current contract and explain your situation. If that landlord is not accommodating then you can continue your flat hunt. So far, I hadn't had to hand in my employment contract to a landlord but it is fairly common that they request pay slips, credit scores etc.

I personally would opt for a flat where you can pay the rent even if the a new job should not materialise immediately.

15 hours ago, bobMorane said:

and I want to convince the landlord to at least sign a draft version of the contract (like a reservation) until I present him my new employment contract  

in July (before the move-in).

Why would a Landlord want to do this? Unless you're moving to the part of Germany that has become part of the Eurasian Steppe in the last 25years, a landlord with an attractive flat has umpteen potential tenants at hand... Why should she/he opt for the one who cannot prove that he/she will have the readies to fückîng pay the rent? 

Moving to another city for work without having a written contract is so bold that it borderlines on wishfull thinking in my book. That courage of yours is not necessarily shared by landlords...

8 hours ago, bobMorane said:

I will get my employment contract before MOVING to the new place, but not too much in advance (e.g. 2 months) to attach it for my rental agreement.

If you explain your situation to your new employer and they are serious about giving you the job, there is no reason they can't send you something in advance so that you can move there.

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

If you explain your situation to your new employer and they are serious about giving you the job, there is no reason they can't send you something in advance so that you can move there.

OK. I try that!

9 hours ago, evildudette said:

So you quit your job and are planning a move to another city without a signed contract for your new position?

No, I don't quit. My current job is a non-permanent University position with a definite termination end.