Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

E-car tips

57 posts in this topic

Most auto manufacturers work on “just in time” production, which doesn’t even start until the car has already been ordered. 

At least they used to. Now it’s called lean manufacturing. 

Service??   Oil change.. air filter.. fuel filter, Sparkplugs??  :lol::lol:

As for the Garage bit.. you are right...  but these are un-registered cars... brand new... covered in plastic cover sitting in the underground garage of a hotel!

Meh, delivery delayed by one week...

BTW, I would expect them to take care of license plate. Right? And if so, I have to send them my suggestion for license plate number, right?

Last brand new car I bought, I registered myself !, but that was like 10 years ago - maybe Tesla will do it for you, but even if you pay yourself its not much in comparison with the new car costs

I would imagine, if you want a special lenience plate number you have to pay extra, depending on how special it is.

Just out of interest, did you find out how much it would be to install a home charger, from the dealer ? - did your landlord allow it ? 

Last new car I bought, I also had to register myself.  Smaller dealers may do it for you.  Dealers that don't really need your business will tell  you to do it yourself.  If they are taking care of the license plate, they would need a power of attorney from you and a SEPA because of the car tax.  If they haven't asked for it, you might want to ask them first.

It arrived yesterday! 

Not enough time for a thorough review, but here is my comparison with a Mercedes C 250 TDI from 2010 (which I still own).

Positive:
  1. Acceleration. Purely ridiculous. Can't avoid a big, big smile everytime I floor it!
  2. Glues itself to the road. At 200km/h, it feels as safe as my Merc at 140km/h, which by itself feels as safe as a Renault Laguna at 90km/h.
  3. No tilting on tight curves, great handling
  4. Excellent response curve of the accelerator and regenerative pedal. Just feels natural. One pedal driving FTW!
  5. The lack of noise!
  6. Software. Intuitive, rich in features, although as a UX expert myself, I found room for small improvements
  7. Interior size. Incredible use of space. Much more roomier than the Merc.
  8. Smooth seatbelts
  9. Very comfortable, although I still need the ultimate test:how does your back feel after 2+ hours driving on Autobahn at very high speed. The Merc is excellent on it.
  10. Absence of a front dashboard improves contrast during night driving
  11. Supercharger is extremely fast
  12. People come talk with you, people stare at the car
  13. Almost no issues with panel gaps. Took me a while to find something, but still barely visible and definitely not an issue. Seems QC issues are gone.
  14. Homelink works extremely well
  15. Home charging detected the maximum current it could draw. Unsure how it did that, probably sensing voltage drop. Anyway, quite impressive.

Negative:
  1. Reverse pedal is too sensitive. There should be a SW option to change it.
  2. Steering wheel is too small, looks ridiculous. Yes, I know it is because of the center display. Cover is too smooth IMO.
  3. Door closing is unsophisticated and requires too much force, at least compared with the Merc.
  4. Blinkers don't go back to neutral easily. Should be easy to solve by SW upgrade.
  5. Turning radius is crap, compared to the Merc. This I will really miss
  6. I think the reverse camera overlay is slightly misaligned, perhaps 5-10cm, but I could be wrong. Still, tiny potential issue.
  7. Delivery experience is a joke. And you have to take care personally about the license plate, which for a premium brand in Germany is unheard
  8. Poor choice of materials and apparent lack of robustness in some parts, compared with the Merc, which feels like a tank.
  9. Unimaginative usage of the center console space. I'm sure that other cars will come up with better space usage.

Overall: first 24h impression is extremely positive. But I had to drive the (9 years old) Merc today for half an hour and it still felt like a great car. Perhaps my mind changes after a few weeks, but I wonder what can happen to Tesla when/if Mercedes learns how to make a proper EV, at a reasonable price. I guess that the "reasonable price" part is the hard one.

Money wise, it is impossible to find a better deal today. The question to anyone buying a sedan equally or more expensive than a VW Golf is "how can you not choose a Tesla".

On 8.6.2019, 22:58:48, MikeMelga said:

It arrived yesterday! 

Not enough time for a thorough review, but here is my comparison with a Mercedes C 250 TDI from 2010 (which I still own).

Money wise, it is impossible to find a better deal today. The question to anyone buying a sedan equally or more expensive than a VW Golf is "how can you not choose a Tesla".

Congratulations! Sounds fantastic.

I am really jealous. I always wanted to own a Tesla.

Does it have the autopilot function in it as well? I have seen you can get that in the USA and UK, but not sure about mainland Europe?

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Congratulations! Sounds fantastic.

I am really jealous. I always wanted to own a Tesla.

If you can afford a Diesel VW Golf, you can afford a Tesla.

3 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Does it have the autopilot function in it as well? I have seen you can get that in the USA and UK, but not sure about mainland Europe?

It has the basic Autopilot package, which is already quite impressive.

The FSD (Full Self Driving) package is also available, although currently crippled by EU regulations.

Went to Legoland and back yesterday. 95% of the travel was done on autopilot. There were 2 situations where I had to intervene, one with a construction site yellow marks overlapping the normal lane marks, which it did not properly identified.

Another one was a completely white caravan that got in my way, which I was unsure if it would slow down for it, so I applied the brake, although I think it would have worked.

Other than that, an extremely pleasant and relaxing trip. BTW, the seats are very, very good, extremely comfortable. Add that to the lack of engine noise, fantastic acceleration and no gear shifts.

Had my first Red Nose of Death (Battery Charge Impossible message) experience with Zoe over the weekend. :angry:

Serendipity saw to it that as I was buying some pick-your-own cherries last week in the next village the lady selling same got into conversation as she also has a Zoe. Fortunately, her phone number was blazened across her cherry sales sign, so I was able to call her, get her address and plug in Zoe to her charger. (Which saved me a potentially expensive visit to the garage who likes to rip off the ignorant. Which happened to her. )

Red Nose fixed. For now.

18 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

If you can afford a Diesel VW Golf, you can afford a Tesla.

It has the basic Autopilot package, which is already quite impressive.

The FSD (Full Self Driving) package is also available, although currently crippled by EU regulations.

Went to Legoland and back yesterday. 95% of the travel was done on autopilot. There were 2 situations where I had to intervene, one with a construction site yellow marks overlapping the normal lane marks, which it did not properly identified.

Another one was a completely white caravan that got in my way, which I was unsure if it would slow down for it, so I applied the brake, although I think it would have worked.

Other than that, an extremely pleasant and relaxing trip. BTW, the seats are very, very good, extremely comfortable. Add that to the lack of engine noise, fantastic acceleration and no gear shifts.

Sounds very pleasant indeed. Thanks for the review!

I need some help on claiming the umweltbonus. 

After filling in the form, I need to supply documents.

The text is this one:

Bitte übermitteln Sie dem BAFA die unten aufgeführten Dokumente elektronisch. Zur Erhöhung der Übersichtlichkeit der elektronischen Akte sind den einzelnen Dokumenten entsprechende Dokumentarten zuzuweisen.
Die Auswahl der möglichen Dokumentarten sind im Feld "Art" auswählbar und anzuklicken.
Zum Hochladen von weiteren Dokumenten wählen Sie eine entsprechende Dokumentart aus.
Bitte achten Sie auf eine gut lesbare Qualität und die richtige Ausrichtung der gescannten Dokumente.
Der Upload von den einzelnen Dokumenten ist auf 10 MB und das Format PDF begrenzt.

Es muss mindestens je ein Kaufvertrag/Leasingvertrag hochgeladen werden.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass jedem Dokument die richtige Art zugewiesen ist.

And then I can input one or multiple of these types of documents:

- Antragstellerungterlage

- Kaufvertrag/Leasing vertrag

- Abtretungserklärung

Problem is, I have no idea which documents are these. What I have is the rechnung and the Zulassungsbecheinigung.

On 26.4.2019, 15:51:44, MikeMelga said:

Also, how can I get reduced parking fees?

I think most of the parking spots around here that have chargers are for free (and usually empty) at least while charging.  I think that would be one big reason for me to get a Tesla.  I imagine parking is more insane in Munich though.  The other reason for me to get one is that I live near Traunstein so my license plate would be TS LA 333 :)

I give you my congrats and my jealousy...

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I need some help on claiming the umweltbonus. 

After filling in the form, I need to supply documents.

The text is this one:

And then I can input one or multiple of these types of documents:

- Antragstellerungterlage

- Kaufvertrag/Leasing vertrag

- Abtretungserklärung

Problem is, I have no idea which documents are these. What I have is the rechnung and the Zulassungsbecheinigung.

I'd guess that the Rechnung is the Kaufvertrag