Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

E-car tips

57 posts in this topic

So I finally confirmed my Tesla Model 3 order this past week! It will take some weeks to receive it, but in the meantime I want to prepare for it.

I came up with some topics where I could use some help and maybe this is also useful for others thinking on moving to EVs.

Questions:

• Is there an electricity tariff for night charges? My supplier is E.On but I could move to another.
  • Any useful tips on where to do in-city charging? Which charging stations are cheaper? How to register for them?
  • Useful smartphone apps for charging stations? I´ve seen google maps has them now, but maybe there are more useful ones.
  • Any recommended electrician in Munich to change the garage installation for higher amperage? Or does Tesla recommend one? How much should I expect for a service like that?
  • What other cable/adapters would I need to be on the safe side, i.e. maximum compatibility with all charging stations.
  • Any "must have" accessories for the car? I will get a USB drive for the "Sentry mode" for sure!

Bear in mind, I will probably do most of my charging at home, but if it is much cheaper outside, I would go once a week to a public charger.

56 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

So I finally confirmed my Tesla Model 3 order this past week! It will take some weeks to receive it, but in the meantime I want to prepare for it.

I came up with some topics where I could use some help and maybe this is also useful for others thinking on moving to EVs.

Questions:

• Is there an electricity tariff for night charges? My supplier is E.On but I could move to another.
  • Any useful tips on where to do in-city charging? Which charging stations are cheaper? How to register for them?
  • Useful smartphone apps for charging stations? I´ve seen google maps has them now, but maybe there are more useful ones.
  • Any recommended electrician in Munich to change the garage installation for higher amperage? Or does Tesla recommend one? How much should I expect for a service like that?
  • What other cable/adapters would I need to be on the safe side, i.e. maximum compatibility with all charging stations.
  • Any "must have" accessories for the car? I will get a USB drive for the "Sentry mode" for sure!

Bear in mind, I will probably do most of my charging at home, but if it is much cheaper outside, I would go once a week to a public charger.

Ignore arse21.

Yes there are some issues with water / sand getting stuck underneath the back bumper but the Tesla crew have a quick fix (a screw removal enables drainage) until a better solution is found.

56 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Questions:

Yes, it's called Nachtstrom

https://www.stromvergleich.de/nachtstrom

Some big supermarkets have free charging stations (my local Aldi has one) and most cities have an ever-growing network of chargers. Tesla also has lots.

The Tesla App itself

Ask your Tesla dealer.

I think Tesla supplies adapters with the car, again, ask them.

And here's a Tesla in the snow:

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

So I finally confirmed my Tesla Model 3 order this past week!

Well done!:D

31 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Ignore arse21.

added

32 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

I think Tesla supplies adapters with the car, again, ask them.

Here is what they supply and not

Tesla charging

32 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

Yes, it's called Nachtstrom

https://www.stromvergleich.de/nachtstrom

When you take the grundgebuhr into account ( separate zahler ) it is not saving too much ( depends on who supplies though I suppose )

34 minutes ago, Janx Spirit said:

And here's a Tesla in the snow:

here's another

https://youtu.be/fsLMlozXjhk

and another

I've driven to Tromso and further north  in  Arctic Norway and back numerous times.

I drive a Model S..

I pick up my Model X in 17 days

Must have accessories? Only the OP will know what they need. For me, Autopilot, perfomance model with Ludicrous Mode, premium upgrade. 

and what to do if you run out of juice

Congratulations

Although the car is not for me, I hope you will be happy with it for your rides

Looking at the Tesla website, I would try to phone 

München-Feldkirchen

Hohenlindner Str. 48A

85622 Feldkirchen BB

Germany

+49 89 21093977

they should know an electrician to install a home charging station, but because you will have 240volt you are in a good position anyway to charge at home - well better than the 110volt homes anyway

Look at  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crosschasm.evchargerlocator&hl=de , for a smart phone app of charge locations - but the car will come with an app showing the locations

Btw, did some math loosely based on data I found on this site:

https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.com/blogs/entry/22-tesla-model-3-performance-vs-rwd-consumption-real-driving-data-from-233-cars/

Considering city and highway driving, considering percentage of that driving in the cold, considering charging efficiency, I ended up with 1850kWh per year (which is not much). This should save me between 50 and 70% of fuel cost vs my current car, depending on which value you take for electricity. Considering circulation tax, maintenance, etc, I estimate a saving above 2000€ per year, before depreciation.

The long-range Model 3’s sticker price is $44,500, roughly 85% higher than that of a Toyota Camry, yet ARK’s research shows that the Model 3 could be the better deal over a three-year period...

Comparison here

I´ve done a similar comparison for immediate purchase cost. The Long Range AWD starts at 55.000€ in Germany. The Long Range Rear Wheel Drive is arounnd 49-50k€ (you can order it by phone).

Which is cheaper than a similarly equiped Merc C (>60k€) and slightly cheaper than a similarly equiped VW Passat (56k€).

I haven´t done full TCO analysis, but I guess it would be cheaper than a similarly equiped VW Golf after 3-5 years.

So that´s my sales pitch when my colleagues try to say it is a luxury. It is as expensive as a Golf, roomier than a Merc C, with a performance of a Ferrari and the safety of a tank!

One of the cars I owned as a broke college student was a 1973 Ford Pinto. An old lady in a Cadillac t-boned me leaving the passenger seat in my lap as I sat in the driver's seat. You'll likely survive many poor automotive buying decisions in your life, too.

On 4/21/2019, 10:22:52, MikeMelga said:

Btw, did some math loosely based on data I found on this site:

https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.com/blogs/entry/22-tesla-model-3-performance-vs-rwd-consumption-real-driving-data-from-233-cars/

Considering city and highway driving, considering percentage of that driving in the cold, considering charging efficiency, I ended up with 1850kWh per year (which is not much). This should save me between 50 and 70% of fuel cost vs my current car, depending on which value you take for electricity. Considering circulation tax, maintenance, etc, I estimate a saving above 2000€ per year, before depreciation.

It would be interesting to know what consumption rates you get currently, and how far your commute is.

And, of course, what you actually experience after a few months compared to the predicted.

18 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I´ve done a similar comparison for immediate purchase cost. The Long Range AWD starts at 55.000€ in Germany. The Long Range Rear Wheel Drive is arounnd 49-50k€ (you can order it by phone).

Which is cheaper than a similarly equiped Merc C (>60k€) and slightly cheaper than a similarly equiped VW Passat (56k€).

I haven´t done full TCO analysis, but I guess it would be cheaper than a similarly equiped VW Golf after 3-5 years.

So that´s my sales pitch when my colleagues try to say it is a luxury. It is as expensive as a Golf, roomier than a Merc C, with a performance of a Ferrari and the safety of a tank!

Can you  compare a Model 3 with a Passat? A model S sure (though the Passat is more practical) but a 3? I’m interested in knowing your opinion since you’ve test driven it, I have a perfectly fine if ageing Passat diesel which will be exchanged at some point for a Tesla (like) car. I could justify the price for a model 3, but the car seems a bit too small for a family car (two kids). The Passat is truly a wonder in terms of space. If if had to replace it tomorrow I imagine I’d tend to go for a used model S.

8 hours ago, mtbiking said:

Can you  compare a Model 3 with a Passat? A model S sure (though the Passat is more practical) but a 3? I’m interested in knowing your opinion since you’ve test driven it, I have a perfectly fine if ageing Passat diesel which will be exchanged at some point for a Tesla (like) car. I could justify the price for a model 3, but the car seems a bit too small for a family car (two kids). The Passat is truly a wonder in terms of space. If if had to replace it tomorrow I imagine I’d tend to go for a used model S.

I was comparing in terms of price, I haven´t driven a recent Passat.

I have a Merc C station wagon from 2010. The Model 3 is roomier inside, both in height as in legroom. Unfortunately it is not a station wagon, so the trunk is of course smaller. Having said so, for long stuff (let´s say a 2 meter IKEA door), the reclining back seats allow it easily. The trunk is quite deep!

Regarding being good enough for 2 kids, depends on the age. You can easily seat 2 kids on the back. You can probably place 2 strollers on the trunk, depending on how good they fold.

Overall, the M3 has a surprising amount of interior space, as the electric powertrain frees a lot of space, no only in the front, but also in the back, for example by not having a fuel tank.

https://insideevs.com/news/335587/tesla-model-3-baby-seat-and-stroller-test-video/

Regarding sizes, here are the Mercedes, M3 and Passat comparisons:

(length/width/capacity)

Mercedes C estate 2010: 4596 / 1770 / 17.2

Tesla Model 3: 4694 / 1850 / 15

VW Passat estate: 4767 / 1830 / 20.7

5 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

For all Electroheads, today (in a few minutes) Tesla is showcasing the latest autonomous driving hard and software in a Model 3. 

Livestream:

https://livestream.tesla.com

I saw it all. Extremely fascinating for SW developers and also electronics developers.

I was a bit surprised, they seem to be on a better path than I expected. Anyway, I did not order FSD as I basically don´t need it. I will just put myself on mitlerer ring and the standard autopilot should be enough for 90% of the way to work and back. It just needs to keep distance to front vehicle, maintain lane and avoid collisions with lane changers. All of that should be covered with the basic AP package.

8 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

It would be interesting to know what consumption rates you get currently, and how far your commute is.

And, of course, what you actually experience after a few months compared to the predicted.

My commute is quite short, around 26km per day. Plus an average of 50km per weekend. Giving some extra room, I calculated around 13000km per year, which is quite low. This value goes up to 18000 if my wife drives it to work.

My Merc C class (diesel) gets around 7L/100 on the commute, 4.5L/100 @120km/h and 7L/100@150km/h. Add perhaps 0.5L for winter time.

My Merc B (petrol) is doing around 9L/100 on the commute in winter and perhaps 8.5 on the rest of the year. Yeah, pretty bad.

The Model 3 is extremely efficient in city driving due to regenerative braking. I will post some values as soon as I start driving it.

This is great news MikeMelga. I will be very grateful to hear more about your experiences in coming months as I plan to buy an EV in 2020.