Reservations about 1 year minimum rental contract: thoughts?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I recently graduated from uni and started working full time here, and have had abysmal luck with finding a WG. There's one offer from a 3 person Zweck-WG that I'm considering, and I did visit the place and meet the main tenant (both don't seem shady), but she's requested a minimum rental contract of one year. I don't know if this is the norm, or if this is indicative of a bad living situation (previous unsatisfied tenants wanting to jump ship) and this will lock me in. Also, I'm still in my six month Probezeit and there's always the uncertainty of me still being there after.

On a related topic, I also wanted to ask your thoughts on the rental costs compared to income - it's €500 Warm against my €2500 monthly salary, before taxes. It (just barely) meets the "30% of your salary) rule, but I don't know if I should take the risk and look for something cheaper - my current lease ends end of May.

7 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

On a related topic, I also wanted to ask your thoughts on the rental costs compared to income - it's €500 Warm against my €2500 monthly salary, before taxes. It (just barely) meets the "30% of your salary) rule, but I don't know if I should take the risk and look for something cheaper - my current lease ends end of May.

I think it is only a recommendation - sure, if you are the kind of person who spends every penny s/he has each and every month, then this is probably a very good rule for you to stick by.

On the other hand, if you rarely go out, have cheap hobbies, etc, then you will surely be able to afford to pay your rent even if if just barely meets the 30% mark.

Not getting along with flatmates is a rather common problem. As most people would not move in with somebody they dislike beforehand it's probably fair to say that issues appear after a few weeks or months. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a flat with two other people for a year if it turned out we were clearly not made to live together.

12 hours ago, Pandekage said:

Housing prices have increased dramatically in the past 8 years and it is not easy to find cheap accommodation. I think it is rather risky to hold out for something cheaper. 

On the other hand, you should try to find a better job before your 18 months are finished.