Receiving mail (and keeping Anmeldung) after leaving Germany

12 posts in this topic

Hallo,

I've been living and working in Germany for just over two years now, unfortunately I will leave soon because of a change in the job situation. However, as I will keep receiving payments from my current job for the next few months I would need to keep my registration in Germany and it would be good to be able to receive mail from institutions.

So my question is - what would be the best way to do this? Obviously I can keep paying rent in my current apartment and keep everything as it is, but that would be a huge waste of money as I won't actually be living here and will also be paying rent in my new place. Is there a service like a PO box that I can pay a monthly fee to receive my mail there and also be able to switch my registration to that address? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Vielen Dank im Voraus

8 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Why not just arrange mail forwarding with Deutsche Post?  

I would want to remain registered in Germany because apparently if I deregister I will be put in a much higher tax category for the remaining payments.

Also I'm not sure if it would be legal to have a running contract in Germany without being registered here.

You can't do Anmeldung at the place where people can't live, so no PO boxes. If your work is paying you and not requiring you to stay in Germany, you should be able to tell them your new foreign address and do the mail forwarding there as well. Alternatively you can make a deal with your apartment owner that he allows you some kind of access to the apartment and you stay registered there even when new people move in.

2 minutes ago, MumboJumboo said:

I would want to remain registered in Germany because apparently if I deregister I will be put in a much higher tax category for the remaining payments.

Also I'm not sure if it would be legal to have a running contract in Germany without being registered here.

It's entirely legal, for example, to work from home in some other country. 

17 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Why not just arrange mail forwarding with Deutsche Post?  

Would that make sure mail sent via different providers will be forwarded as well (think UPS, GPS etc.)?

18 hours ago, MumboJumboo said:

You are not legally allowed to be registered here if you are no longer actually living here, i.e. you need to have at least a room here. Anyone assisting you in breaking the law is also liable to pay a fine. 

Let's say that you do remain registered in Germany.  This also means that any income you make in another country will be taxed in Germany as Germany has a claim to your worldwide income if you are resident if Germany.  So this might not be a good option even if it is possible, and would also probably cause problem with any other country you earn money in during this time (worst case scenario, both will demand tax from you for the same time period!)

Also, the tax category 6 is applied but when you do your tax return next year for 2019 then the tax will be calculated according to what you actually earnt and owe for the whole year.  The tax class just determines how much you 'pre-pay', and at the end of the year it is calculated how much you actually owe and you are charged or refunded as appropriate.  So even if you do pay according to class 6 today, at the end of the year it would work out the same.

Can you not get your employer to pay all that they owe sooner rather than later?  This might also be better for them, as they might be able to avoid other costs.

Thank you very much for all the answers.

It is good to know that I will get the overpaid category 6 tax when I do the tax return, I think this is what I am going to do.

Just for context, I won't have income in the other income, those payments will still be my only income.

Unfortunately my employer insists on paying the remaining payments monthly.

Thanks again everyone

Is it then possible to get them to pay to a different bank account?

You state your nationality as EU, so then there should be no additional cost for them.

How would that affect the Tax Category? Aren't taxes deducted automatically before the payment is made?