Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do we need Car Friday for anyways?

20 posts in this topic

There's enough glorification and celebration of cars as it is, why the hell do we need a whole national holiday for them too?  Car Friday - who needs it!?  Better U-Bahn Friday or Bike Friday, or even Pick-up Truck Friday... Cars, bah!

Are you sure it's not kehr friday?  I will be sweeping the steps tomorrow and cleaning the windows just in case.  Nothing else to do anyway, everywhere's closed.

That took me a while to figure out what Car Friday was, and I celebrate Easter! Karfreitag or Good Friday is what it is. Now I get it! Hope everyone had a nice Good Friday!

I like the fact that Sunday here is still sacrosanct and that shops close over Easter and Christmas. Each day is the same in the UK, more people are having to work weekends to support retail, everyone rushes around, 7 days a week, in ever decreasing circles and have no time for themselves or their families. Why do people need to shop on public holidays and Sundays?

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

I like the fact that Sunday here is still sacrosanct and that shops close over Easter and Christmas. Each day is the same in the UK, more people are having to work weekends to support retail, everyone rushes around, 7 days a week, in ever decreasing circles and have no time for themselves or their families. Why do people need to shop on public holidays and Sundays?

My sentiments exactly, I love how everything quietens down on these days and people seem to be more relaxed

Except for people working at hospitals, police and firestations, airports, public transport, gastronomy...  

There are so many jobs that still have to be available.

2 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Except for people working at hospitals, police and firestations, airports, public transport, gastronomy...  

Like me. But now it's retail, wharehousing, distribution, manufacturing, public transport that is less limited than before. The only people who don't seem to be public sector apart from the emergency services of course.

10 hours ago, JN53 said:

Hope everyone had a nice Good Friday!

I don't get why it's called Good Friday. Wasn't very good for Jesus was it now?

In my language it's called long Friday. As a kid I thought it ha something to do with having to look at the chocolate eggs my parents had bought and not being allowed to eat them yet.

3 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Do they have to be? Sure, hospitals, police and fire stations but I am not so sure of the other things. Ppl wouldn't starve if restaurants weren't open but they are open because the holidays are good business for them. That's one thing that people who work in restaurants have to live with, they tend to work mostly when other people are off.

Some people don't actually mind working weekends and holidays though.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

I don't get why it's called Good Friday. Wasn't very good for Jesus was it now?

"It is related to the Feast of the Exaltation of the HolyCross, which focuses on the benefits, graces, and merits of the Cross, rather than Jesus's death."

Yesterday, it was Gründonnerstag :). What's that about? Any Catholics on TT?

Gründonnerstag comes from the last supper, apparently, which the apostles had on the Thursday of that week.  The meal was mostly green vegatables, either what was left from the last harvest, or the early vegetables from the new harvest, but either way, that seems to be where the name comes from.

Maundy Thursday/Gründonnerstag is remembering the Last Supper, or Passover, where lamb and unleavened bread was eaten.

The names are either giving to the poor (maundy purses) related or foot washing related (mandate- latin-commandment) or Grün - food related as Tap mentions- there having been specific fasting requirements for Holy week, or to do with the 'Greinen' of the excommunicated who were allowed back into Church on that evening.

This is according to my assorted oldies - the origins of these words in both languages remains a source of endless fascination year on year. Looking at Wikipedia, there are several more explanations to peruse. Interesting.

My personal favourite for Karfreitag from the options above is Kehrfreitag. Silently, of course ;).