Should I invest to Commerzbank Mutual Funds or Exchange Traded Funds (ETF)?

28 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, aries6 said:

I just got into investing 2 years ago, so a newbie.

and you're giving advice.

I've been investing for 40 years and doing it the way I suggested earlier.  It's not just "luck".  That's the thinking of people who do not know better.

32 minutes ago, catjones said:

and you're giving advice.

I've been investing for 40 years and doing it the way I suggested earlier.  It's not just "luck".  That's the thinking of people who do not know better.

Go back and read my posts. I wasn´t giving advice to anyone. I was giving my opinion on the subject. There is a difference.

You can disagree with me, just like I disagreed with you.

An investor told me that if you want to make money in the stock market always follow 2 simple rules, 

1) Always but the stock at the bottom price 

2) always sell the stock at the top price 

In that way you never lose money, I hope this helps you - if you do not follow this then you are going to lose money.

I’m 40 and have been managing my money for the last 15 years or so. Besides my company’s retirement plan I invest periodically in whole world, SP500 and a bit of DAX ETFs. Since Vanguard came to Germany I’ve switched to buying ETFs from them. We've sold in two occasions: to help finance our properties in Munich. We’re now back on a pure accumulating phase (if the property market does crash in Munich I’ll be tempted to buy again - cost averaging Munich’s real estate market would be a blast). I don’t sell to buy cars or other consumer goods: that helps in avoiding lifestyle creep. We use our much smaller short term savings for that.

my advice for what is worth: read a couple of books by John Bogle and the essays of Warren Buffet, open an account with Onvista and start a monthly savings plan with a Vanguard all world ETF. If you have savings ready to invest just increase your monthly plan for a while. You don’t need a middle man and you don’t need to worry about timing the market. Then pray for a market crash. One of the best thing that happened to us was all the  fearful people in 2008 and 2009. I enjoyed last December. Market crashes in your productive years are something to hope for.

On 4/18/2019, 11:39:01, aries6 said:

How and who determines what is "high" and "low"? You can't time these things. No one can, despite the claims.

As I said earlier, wait for a drop in the market...aka today and possibly in the near future.  It's not "high and low" it's, higher and lower.  Today it's lower.

16 minutes ago, catjones said:

As I said earlier, wait for a drop in the market...aka today and possibly in the near future.  It's not "high and low" it's, higher and lower.  Today it's lower.

However, Bogleheads would say "time in the market" is better than "timing the market". Some people wait for the next crash already for 5+ years and have missed the upward movement in the market in the meantime. The bottom line is, we cannot foresee the future. So estimating that we are late in the cycle might be sensible but completely wrong. Who knows? I don't.

If you were planning to buy something (house, car, computer) and I told you that if you bought today the price was discounted 7-8%, would you buy it?  If you could buy pieces (shares) of something; would you buy some today if the price was discounted 7-8%?  If that something is NASDAQ, then buy some.