What is wohnbescheinigung and do I need it?

9 posts in this topic

We are looking for an apartment to rent in Bochum, so I contacted a rental company to see some of their apartments. But, the person on the told me to obtain "wohnbescheinigung" otherwise they would show us no apartment! 

I googled the term, and I think it is a type of certificate showing you are a low-income person residing in Germany (or something like that).

However, at the moment I'm a doctoral student having stipend and also wissenschaftlicher contract, and later on, I will be employed as a wissenschaftlicher mitarbeiter. Also, currently I have a study residence permit (if it is important).

So, do I need this certificate? because a few years ago when I checked the conditions regarding any social benefit or the Kita costs I didn't belong to the low-come category!

32 minutes ago, bobMorane said:

So, do I need this certificate?

If you want that apartment: yes, looks like you do. Otherwise you don't. The question is if you qualify for it.

because a few years ago when I checked the conditions regarding any social benefit or the Kita costs I didn't belong to the low-come category!

Check again? The amount is currently 19.350 Euro per year for a household with 1 adult. You may be able to deduct some things (some taxes, pension and health insurance payments). It's not about what you do, it's about how much money you earn.

9 minutes ago, sneaker said:

The amount is currently 19.350 Euro per year for a household with 1 adult. 

Where can I check the thresholds? any website? For instance, what about two adults and a child?!

44 minutes ago, bobMorane said:

Where can I check the thresholds? any website? For instance, what about two adults and a child?!

That info is on https://www.muelheim-ruhr.de/cms/uebersicht_ueber_einkommensgrenzen_und_bruttoeinkommen_in_nrw1.html, for example.

It says the limit for a 3-person household is €29,370. There's a note that a WBS certificate can also be granted in exceptional cases if you exceed the threshold by less than 5%.

1 hour ago, bobMorane said:

Also, currently I have a study residence permit (if it is important).

In your profile it says EU, why do you have a study permit?

Citizenship is important not only for questions regarding immigration issues, but also for questions with respect to eligibility for certain types of welfare/social services.

13 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

That info is on https://www.muelheim-ruhr.de/cms/uebersicht_ueber_einkommensgrenzen_und_bruttoeinkommen_in_nrw1.html, for example.

It says the limit for a 3-person household is €29,370. There's a note that a WBS certificate can also be granted in exceptional cases if you exceed the threshold by less than 5%.

Should I apply for each city separately? I don't live in Bochum now, but want to rent a place there.

So, do I have to apply exactly to the WohnenAmt in Bochum or it doesn't matter in which city I obtain it?

You should apply for the WBS at the city hall of the place you live now. A certificate issued by one city in NRW is valid throughout the state (but not outside it).

Another question!

Based on my previous contract (past few years), I'm eligible for WBS. But, if we consider the future one (starting from 1st June), then I won't be!

Now that I'm applying for it, I'm still employed by my previous (still current) employer. Does it mean that I can ask for WBS and I have a chance to obtain it?

I've heard that obtaining WBS may take up to several weeks, and the landlord wants it before we move in (mid-June).

Any idea how we can facilitate that?