Upper Respiratory Virus Attacks Ears

21 posts in this topic

This my second post on a similar topic.

My daughter and her family spent a brief time in Austria recently and the entire family became ill with cough and respiratory issues.

The youngest child developed an ear ache after returning to Germany. 

My daughter developed chills and was told by doc she might have acute bronchitis. 

They were given antibiotics.

Just when the second child seemed to be feeling better, he began to act strangely. Lots of crying. Up all night. He said his ears did not hurt. No apparent fever. Initially they thought he was just copying the younger brother. 

His complaint was his ears. 

Both ear drums had ruptured. Tons of gunk and fluid. Loss of hearing.

Where this becomes bizarre is, now my daughter is suffering with lots of pain in the ears, loss of hearing and tinnitus.

She felt terrible about doubting her son. 

I don’t know if this is common in Germany?? Adult ear infections are not common in the U.S.

The doctors do not seemed concerned. In the meantime, she cannot hear.

She will see an ENT (HNO) tomorrow in Bad Homburg. 

I am posting in hopes that someone else has had a similar experience and I want to know what was done. 

I am in the U.S. and so frustrated. It seems like seeing a doctor here is so much simpler and of course the language barrier is frustrating. She speaks very little German. 

When she got got home from the pediatrician I pieced together that his ear drums must have ruptured. She had her German husband call the dr back and indeed that is what had occurred. The doc spoke English. Not sure why that was not related to my daughter. Sorry, I am venting. 

Please don’t bother responding unless you have some serious comments on the topic.

At this point I am afraid both my daughter and grandson will have permanent hearing loss. 

My son son in law was ill as well, but he was able to recover more quickly. 

I know ear infections are more common in children, but I also had them as an adult and my HNO did not seemed surprised. I also had a ruptured ear drum as a child and remember that I could not hear very well at that time. But that was only temporary and today I can hear just fine.

Could your son in law not go to the doctors with your daughter to translate?

When I was living in the US, I usually asked the doctors to write down some notes for me so I could google afterwards. 

Hope your family members will feel better soon.

Her husband will go to the appointment with her. Not only to interpret, but because she cannot hear. 

I know it is irritating for him to have to be the go between. Then she may leave the appointment unsatisfied with not fully understanding everything. 

The whole language barrier in this instance is a real nuisance. 

Hoping her hearing loss is temporary, but the symptoms she has described seem awful. 

She had no rupture or drainage like her son had. 

Just the extreme loss of hearing and lots of tinnitus/ringing. 

Maybe something can be done to relieve the pressure. 

I am here with fingers crossed that none of us catch it. My son in law was actually here on business briefly and was still under the weather. 

Another concern for me, is that they should also follow up with the child. 

Will know more tomorrow. 

Thank you for your reply. 

53 minutes ago, retej said:

Maybe something can be done to relieve the pressure. 

It´s a common complication of any disease (like a common cold for instance)  which blocks the Eustachian tube (the drain connecting the ear to the pharynx). If it´s blocked exsudate and mucus cannot be drained from the ear but will build up and create pressure in the ear. That´s also a breeding ground for bacteria.

This should help (note that I misspelled pseudophenylephrine in that old post): https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/313961-sinupret-from-bionorica/?do=findComment&comment=3155424

Also:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/313961-sinupret-from-bionorica/?do=findComment&comment=3155600

I had a burst ear drum as a teenager and it was just a temporary problem (too much time in clubs in my 20s probably done more damage!).

I also had an ear infection last year, first one I have had since a child, so it can happen,  My wife, daughter and I were all ill but we were affected in slightly different ways.  In fact it was funny, I had an ear infection so could not hear properly and my wife had a throat infection and could not talk!

Everything now is fine and I can hear with no problems.  (Although my wife doesn't always agree with that statement).

Thanks for responses.

This gives me hope for them. 

Will know soon what Doc says.

Up with Insomnia waiting for news. 

I just posted assuming this might might be some widespread illness. 

Odd thing was no fever, that they were aware of. 

When I first moved to Germany I caught a really nasty ear infection. My ear drum had a hole in it and I went to an ear throat nose doctor who cleaned it out with high pressure water. Blood and pus... the most awful pain ever.

I noticed the wind here is very strong in Spring, and I like to go for long walks.

I make sure I always wear a hat now to protect my ears.

I never had this problem in the UK, but Germany does not have much iodine in the soil. I know that iodine helps protect against infections and thyroid issues. Possibly the wind in the UK had higher amounts of iodine (Just a theory or idea).

Best is always to go to a professional ear nose and throat doctor. First I went to my GP (Hausarzt) who made the problem even worse by inserting a bandage into my ear... Infecting it even more!

I always put hats on my children in winter spring and Autumn to protect their ears. Ear infections are quite common, but I did notice things like gastroentiritus and ear infections are more common in Germany. I never had and stomach infections until I moved here. Maybe it is the climate or the lack of iodine?

This is definitely very common, and not only in Germany.

Some parts of Germany, like Frankfurt, have crappy, wet climates and a lot of population moving and changing, so they're ideal for virus and bacteria transmission.

It's not magic though, I don't think that evil winds are the main cause.

52 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

When I first moved to Germany I caught a really nasty ear infection. My ear drum had a hole in it and I went to an ear throat nose doctor who cleaned it out with high pressure water. Blood and pus... the most awful pain ever.

I noticed the wind here is very strong in Spring, and I like to go for long walks.

I make sure I always wear a hat now to protect my ears.

I never had this problem in the UK, but Germany does not have much iodine in the soil. I know that iodine helps protect against infections and thyroid issues. Possibly the wind in the UK had higher amounts of iodine (Just a theory or idea).

Best is always to go to a professional ear nose and throat doctor. First I went to my GP (Hausarzt) who made the problem even worse by inserting a bandage into my ear... Infecting it even more!

I always put hats on my children in winter spring and Autumn to protect their ears. Ear infections are quite common, but I did notice things like gastroentiritus and ear infections are more common in Germany. I never had and stomach infections until I moved here. Maybe it is the climate or the lack of iodine?

I had almost the same thing happen to me some years ago.  Went to my GP who diagnosed a middle ear infection and gave me antibiotics, 3 days later I was almost passing out with the pain, so I went to the local HNO doctor.  He was furious with my GP because the infection was much deeper than the middle ear and he told me I could lose my hearing. He cut the ear drum and I had to go back every 2 days to have it cleaned.  Anyway, long story short, my hearing came back and I haven't had a problem since, but I did lose faith in my GP and promptly found a new one.

1 hour ago, Anna66 said:

Germany does not have much iodine in the soil.

But you can buy iodazed salt for € 0,19 / 500 g at each supermarket. I´d rather that than sprinkle soil over my food.:lol:

We don't get iodine from the wind. Or colds, etc. but that has all been discussed before.

There are also iodine tablets available which I tried for my thyroid problem in the beginning before I had to go on the real medication, Thyroxene, which I think half of the people that I know are taking here and in the U.S.

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We don't get iodine from the wind. Or colds, etc. but that has all been discussed before.

There are also iodine tablets available which I tried for my thyroid problem in the beginning before I had to go on the real medication, Thyroxene, which I think half of the people that I know are taking here and in the U.S.

I take levothyroxine. I think 50% of people do as well, seems to be epidemic thyroid issues.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

But you can buy iodazed salt for € 0,19 / 500 g at each supermarket. I´d rather that than sprinkle soil over my food.:lol:

Yep, but normally we get it from our food. Sadly as Germany has virtually no iodine in the soil it does not go into our vegetables or milk (from when cows eat the grass) so iodised salt is a must. However, (as Fraufruit said above) and I also have noticed 50% of people seem to have to take thyroxine/levothyoroxine. More likely to be from Chernobyl and Fukoshima... but that is off topic ;)

Interesting read this article.

https://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/VMNIS_Iodine_deficiency_in_Europe.pdf

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

iodine is questionable to dangerous for those suffering from hashimotos/autoimmune related thyroid problems.  a lot of people who have thyroid problems have an autoimmune component so recommending iodine across the board is questionable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4192807/

YES. I have hashimotos and are pretty mad about all the iodine in the salt. Sure, at home I can use salt without iodine,

but most preprocessed food contains salt with iodine.

@vronchen is that true in German processed foods too?  I know it's standard in the US, almost impossible to avoid actually, but I didn't think it was so prevalent here. 

but I admit I never look for it specifically.  I recall seeing "speisesalz" most of the time.  but I don't know if that is with or without jod :/

6 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

@vronchen is that true in German processed foods too?  I know it's standard in the US, almost impossible to avoid actually, but I didn't think it was so prevalent here. 

but I admit I never look for it specifically.  I recall seeing "speisesalz" most of the time.  but I don't know if that is with or without jod :/

Actually with preprocessed food I meant more restaurants and so on. I know they use iodined salt in the cantine at work so do the take-out places that I like (I asked).

Speisesalz is without iodine.

Gotcha.  Restos are tough as it's very hard to find out with certainty what they put in their food.  Even asking if something is vegetarian comes with the caveat that they may not know that anchovies, chicken stock, usw. are not vegetarian :/ 

My brother had to avoid any trace of iodine prior to having iodine-radiation treatment for thyroid cancer, and that was no small feat in the US :/

Okay Folks, y’all lost me. 

Can we please focus!! Lol.

Tap, what you’ve posted sounds about right. 

It is all the time passing and all the doctors wait and see attitude that has me concerned. 

12 minutes ago, retej said:

It is all the time passing and all the doctors wait and see attitude that has me concerned. 

But on the other thread you said her pain is less. Maybe it is healing and they won't have to cut her eardrum after all.