Notre Dame is on fire

69 posts in this topic

I've been watching it in disbelief. I don't even thing the fire brigades are there yet and how would they even access it. It looks like the spire might fall over.

So shocking and sad!

Sweet mother of Jesus.

You can be totally agnostic or atheist, or anything and still be woefully distressed by damage to this magnificent building. 

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but that seems like more than 'Sister Marie Claire knocked over the tee light holder and now Notre Dame is gone'..

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've been watching it in disbelief. I don't even thing the fire brigades are there yet and how would they even access it. It looks like the spire might fall over.

So shocking and sad!

The spire fell apparently. The XII century roof frame is severely damage/gone. The fire brigades are there but it will take a while untill we see the whole damage. Very sad. Maybe for all the years I lived near there and all the months I was working next door I should have gone in at least once. 

The roof structure was supported by massive oak trees which must have gone up like tinder.  The attic of Notre Dame was referred to as Le Forêt, 'the forest'.

One would think that they would have had a comprehensive smoke alarm/sprinkler system up there.

The fire brigades are there but they don't seem to be fighting the fire yet. Much too dangerous to go inside, one would think. The fire boats are useless.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

One would think that they would have had a comprehensive smoke alarm/sprinkler system up there.

The fire brigades are there but they don't seem to be fighting the fire yet. Much too dangerous to go inside, one would think. The fire boats are useless.

They are using outside access and have about everything that exist. Yes the alarm system was updated 5 years ago.

There was a large scale renovation in process for the last year, that was supposed to last 20 years. 

The fire broke in the area under renovation, a lot of the main statues were removed for the renovation but the frame and the spire are gone for now.

seems like more than 'Sister Marie Claire knocked over the tee light holder and now Notre Dame is gone

Fire during renovation... Almost certainly a sub sub sub contractor and lowest bidder f-ed up.

Happens too often.

I cry for our lady

43 minutes ago, tor said:

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but that seems like more than 'Sister Marie Claire knocked over the tee light holder and now Notre Dame is gone'..

Conspiracy theory would be more like Sister Marie Claire's second cousin is a terrorist.

A report from the Central Criminal Intelligence Service of the gendarmerie noted that from 2016 to 2018 there had been thousands of cases of church vandalism, peaking in 2017 with 1,045 cases, Le Figaro reports.
According to the French Interior Ministry, when cemeteries and other sites are taken into consideration, the number of acts of vandalism rose to 1,063 in 2018.
Earlier this year, in one week alone, in a detestable case of anti-Christian vandalism, France saw twelve churches vandalised, including attackers attempting to set fire to the church of Saint-Sulpice in Paris.
In Nimes, an even more heinous attack occurred, with vandals smearing feces on the wall of the church of Notre-Dame des Enfants and stealing objects from the altar.
In March, the over 800-year-old Basilica of Saint-Denis in the now heavily migrant-populated suburbs of Paris was also vandalised, with the basilica’s organ being heavily damaged and stained glass windows were broken.
Thefts of religious objects have increased since 2016, rising from 121 to 129 in 2018. According to the gendarmes, the robberies are mostly opportunistic because churches are often an easy target. A chalice can be sold for anything between 200 to 2 000 euros.
French authorities arrested a pair of Romanian migrants last year who were suspected to be behind a number of church thefts in both Paris and the suburbs of the city. The pair had allegedly stolen up to 70 000 euros worth of property.

Voice of Europe J2? That very reliable, credible and unbiased source. Think I'll wait until we get the details on church attacks from other more credible sources.

I have no doubt it does happen but Voice of Europe is a right wing anti immigrant piece of drivel designed to whip up the masses. Unfortunately there is a lack of indepth investigative journalism these days with most of it coming across as been lazily researched and badly written.

This crap is happening across Europe - and its Churches, Synagogues, Mosques and others. It is all wrong and it is all happening. Let´s not close our eyes to it whatever we read.