Going back to USA for a few months and want to exchange NY DL to CT

22 posts in this topic

Hi

I will be leaving Germany for a few months and would love to be able to exchange my Ny DL to CT DL. I am originally from CT and want to know if it is possible to come back with a new dL and it will be allowed. I will have been living in Germany for 3 yrs this August, so when I leave would it still count as 3 yrs living in Gemany or not. Is it worth it to get new DL? And if this is possible, does any one know if you can take a 1st aid course in the states, or must it be taken in Germany.

Many thanks

Shanei

you should have converted to a German license after the first six months to one year, max, oder?

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with a new US license.

If you do get a new one and then go for a German license, you will need to prove that you have been driving for several years - I forget how many. So get your records from NY. VA only keeps them for 10 years as I found out. I had a lot of trouble doing this because I waited several years but I wasn't driving here in the meantime. If you are, you are driving on an invalid license AFAIK.

But with a new CT license, I think the OP will have to prove that she has been a licensed driver for some years and didn't just begin. Hence, her records from NY. At least that is how it worked here in Munich when I got mine.

ETA - It just occurred to me that the gig might be up when she does that. They'll know she exchanged just for reciprocity. Then again, I don't know if that is illegal or not.

Hmm, doesn't the new CT license have a field with an initial issue date, ie. the one from NY? My German license took over my Dutch issue date from 1994 when I got it in Munich in 2014.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

ETA - It just occurred to me that the gig might be up when she does that. They'll know she exchanged just for reciprocity. Then again, I don't know if that is illegal or not.

Not (it is a type of Führerscheintourismus).

I've seen a lot on TT over years about people having to show they have been licensed for a while, etc.  So, that could be a thing.  From my experience, it wasn't a thing in Dresden in 2004. 

But I will note the U.S. license I used to get my German license did pre-date my arrival / registration in Germany.

53 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Hmm, doesn't the new CT license have a field with an initial issue date, ie. the one from NY? My German license took over my Dutch issue date from 1994 when I got it in Munich in 2014.

I don't recall having a DL in the US that showed a date of issue on the license itself.  My guess is it varies by state.

eta:  luckily I still have my temporary paper license from when I moved to MA.  That does have the date of original issue on it, but they don't "back date" this to cover licensing in another state.  US doesn't care how long you've had a license, when it comes to actually driving. It's more about age and driving history.  the insurance company cares, of course, but that's a different topic

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

They'll know she exchanged just for reciprocity.

They might suspect, but they won't know.  If she had a CT license prior to her arrival in Germany it may have needed renewing.  So a recent "issue" date on the CT license doesn't necessarily signal there was a recent change from one state to another.

Just for fun, here are examples of an IL license renewal issued in 2010 and a subsequent renewal in 2014.  Neither gives any info on how long the driver has been licensed, and both say "Type: ORG"

Snap5.jpg

That’s how I got my German license. I exchanged my CA license for a MA license while there on vacation. Came back to Germany and showed them both licenses, proving that I could drive BEFORE I moved to Germany. Paid 30€ and that was it. 

Wicked! So, you can hold two driving licenses from two different states and get a license w/o a registration in the state? Nobody asks questions. In Europe the controls are more strict.

I imagine they punched a hole in the old license. You can ask to hang on to it if you want.

Lisa, the 6 months thing is just being able to drive legally.

33 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Wicked! So, you can hold two driving licenses from two different states and get a license w/o a registration in the state? Nobody asks questions. In Europe the controls are more strict.

1 hour ago, Santitas said:

I exchanged my CA license for a MA license while there on vacation. 

Exchange means you hand in your old license and get a new one, but you showed both in Germany? This is unclear. In Europe you need to hand the old one in. In Europe you can't go on holiday in e.g. Italy as an EU citizen and think "Hey, let's get an Italian license." You require an official registration like an Anmeldung. You need to live there. You were just on holiday in MA.

In the U.S. you can just give them the address of a friend or family. That's what I did when I got my Texas license. It was then mailed to my son and he sent it to me.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Exchange means you hand in your old license and get a new one, but you showed both in Germany? This is unclear. In Europe you need to hand the old one in. In Europe you can't go on holiday in e.g. Italy as an EU citizen and think "Hey, let's get an Italian license." You require an official registration like an Anmeldung. You need to live there. You were just on holiday in MA.

I gave them my CA license for the MA license, but I still had my NY license which was the first state to issue my license. Apparently CA didn’t ask for the NY license in exchange for the CA one, which is why I still had it (i.e.-the NY license)

This is supposed to be disallowed, but it seems you could do it. Good for you.

For the OP: if you used to have a CT license before your NY one, and have one to show, that would be an open and shut case and you could exchange with just a written test. Otherwise, it only might work, as they can claim that you did it to circumvent the reciprocity issue.

On a side note, it cost over $100 to exchange my NY DL for the CT one. Quite pricey.