S1 Health Insurance and Brexit Questions

44 posts in this topic

I was also told by UK/NHS  that for senior/pensioner coverage , one had to retire in the UK and apply for S1 form., and then apply in Germany or other EU country.

There is a number you can call, we did it recently. You must already be in receipt of a state age-related pension or be within 40 days of starting it, is what we were told. Applying from Germany is fine.

https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_EHIC/en-gb/6696/application-forms-and-evidence/16477/s1-form-what-is-this-and-how-do-i-obtain-one

is a place you can look for info. That page mentions 'exportable' benefit. No idea what they mean. They also say that early retirees can 'no longer' apply for an S1 which looks as though there was a change, possibly recently. @john g. would probably have the background on that.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

There is a number you can call, we did it recently. You must already be in receipt of a state age-related pension or be within 40 days of starting it, is what we were told. Applying from Germany is fine.

https://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_EHIC/en-gb/6696/application-forms-and-evidence/16477/s1-form-what-is-this-and-how-do-i-obtain-one

is a place you can look for info. That page mentions 'exportable' benefit. No idea what they mean. They also say that early retirees can 'no longer' apply for an S1 which looks as though there was a change, possibly recently. @john g. would probably have the background on that.

An exportable benefit are things like state pension, invalidity/carers allowance and sometimes unemployment banefits. Basically any benefit that can be claimed when you live abroad.

On 05/04/2020, 19:14:47, Klammer said:

I'm sorry about resurrecting this old chestnut,but does anyone have any info regarding the S1 provision for folks who haven't quite staggered over the official retirement line ? I.e. Those in the early sixties.

@Klammer Just for clarification are you currently resident/working in Germany and paying german health insurance? If the answer is yes then you do not qualify for an S1 if you retire now and I can't see that changing for the better with Brexit. It really would be a bad idea to assume you may benefit from a no cost S1 health insurance when/if you retire in Germany and you are entitled to a german state pension.

If you have not or will not have qualified for a german state pension (less than 10 years contributions) when you retire then things could be different.