S1 Health Insurance and Brexit Questions

32 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've asked on here before regarding S1 health insurance forms and eventually I was able to get mine sorted. However now that everything is up and running I expect the walls to come tumbling down again.

Firstly does anyone know if I am required to resubmit the S1 form annually? When I received the S1 certificate it did indeed have an expiry date for a year later, however I don't know if this is just an expiry to use the S1 form to sort out your insurance or if the subsequent insurance that you acquire will also expire on that date. For example I had an S1 certificate from the UK that expired at the beginning of April 2019. However I took that certificate to AOK and was issued with my AOK insurance card last year. The insurance card itself has no expiry date on it and instead has xxxxxx in the place where the expiry date would be (which to me implies no expiry). I was hoping someone here would know so I wouldn't have to go into AOK and ask or worse still find out I am not insured next time I am at the dentist.

The second part of my question relates to being a UK citizen living here in Germany and if anyone else is in a similar situation and knows the potential outcomes. I am married to a German citizen and have a freshly born German citizen son here. I've been here for just over four years and married for about one and a half. My work is still UK based (I am a sailor in the North Sea) and all my taxes are paid in the UK as I actually spend more time there per year than I do here. I have made absolutely no preparations, enquiries or precautions regarding Brexit whatsoever so was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the following;

- What will happen to people like me with S1 health insurance after Brexit?

- Is it possible that even with a wife and child here I could be deported?

- Would I be eligible for German citizenship and what would that entail, could I get dual citizenship?

- Is there anything I should be doing etc. in preparation for Brexit?

- I fly in and out of the country on a monthly basis to the UK for work. Will I likely suddenly have visa issues?

Any help, advice or thoughts will be much appreciated! 

While you were out on the North  sea, all your queries, concerns, status etc have been covered in many threads and posts on TT . 

Do try search function- using key words.

You are registered in Germany? It seems all  of us Brits are receiving notices from the Amts as well, with info about the next steps.

While the OP's queries, concerns status etc. have indeed been addressed in many threads and posts I don't think we yet have a complete answer on his worry about S1 health insurance post Brexit. 

If I am wrong I will be very happy to be corrected!

Well my main question is about the S1 certificate in general if you read it. And I haven't been able to find anything about when or if you need to renew it. 

There is also a Brexit thread that is eighty-odd pages long and started two years ago so I obviously didn't read all of it, though I didn't see anything there about married British seafarers with children living in Germany.

Thanks for the help though anyway RedMiserable.

Well then, how about making that trip down to AOK and asking them?

Or would you like me to read through the 80 pages for you;)

16 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Or would you like me to read through the 80 pages for you;)

Yeah if you could. I'll be out of office at five so if you could get back to me before then. Thanks. 

Oh dear

Go to google, type in " S1 insurance after brexit "  Voila..

For that matter, there is a search box in the top right here on TT, these matters have been covered a zillion times.

Alternatively, I can research the answers for you, I start at €200 an hour ( plus VAT )

10 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Go to google, type in " S1 insurance after brexit "  Voila..

He might need a link. I mean the whole of google is pretty vague.

14 hours ago, starkebogen said:

While the OP's queries, concerns status etc. have indeed been addressed in many threads and posts I don't think we yet have a complete answer on his worry about S1 health insurance post Brexit. 

If I am wrong I will be very happy to be corrected!

There is poster @rodisi who has been asking similar questions regarding the S1 form and AOK from the perspective of a pensioner. The worse case outcome hard brexit seemed to be that AOK would have to take him on but he would need to pay the contributions himself.

For those still working and paying into to  UK National Insurance with a S1 cover in Germany I don't think we are any further forward.

I would not discount that they expect you to go back to the UK for treatment.

9 minutes ago, Petedln said:

Sorry, my fault. I guess I  must have thought

That we could do  your research for free?

You had the best answer from Redmidge, post after yours

15 hours ago, RedMidge said:

While you were out on the North  sea, all your queries, concerns, status etc have been covered in many threads and posts on TT . 

Do try search function- using key words.

You are registered in Germany? It seems all  of us Brits are receiving notices from the Amts as well, with info about the next steps.

5 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

That we could do  your research for free?

Er, no. That someone on here, being an ex-pat forum, might have been using the S1 form for a number of years and would know if it needs renewing annually, which is not out of the realm of possibility I don't think.

You could even go to  https://britishingermany.org

And find answers there, seeing as they are fairly up to date as to what is going on

Or you could go to  https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/when-living-abroad/health-insurance-cover/index_en.htm

and find answers there

All of which takes less than 60 seconds using Google.

Most of your questions have been covered numerous times here, which is why the search box is your friend, Continually repeating the same answers to those who are  seemingly search challenged gets tiring very quickly.

If your questions are important to you, UTFSB first, then ask questions if you cannot find the answers.

This has been a TT public service announcement.

On Montag, 15. April 2019, Petedln said:

I took that certificate to AOK and was issued with my AOK insurance card last year. The insurance card itself has no expiry date on it and instead has xxxxxx in the place where the expiry date would be (which to me implies no expiry).

Your assumption that the xxxxxx in the place on your OK card where the expiry date would be implies that your OK card has no expiry date is due to a simple misapprehension of the statutory situation wrt personal data protection and privacy regulations on what may be published on GKV health insurance cards in Germany.

No GKV health insurance cards issued in Germany carry an actual visible expiry date, however those who are authorised to machine read such cards (like doctors', dentists' and hospitals' secretarial staff) will be able to read the relevant expiry date.

The person to whom the card was issued (you!) will also have received an accompanying letter which includes an explanation of both the details on the card and those which are redacted for privacy purposes.

I would suggest you refer to that letter in order to know what the current actual renewal date for your AOK card is.

In 99% of cases a replacement card should be forthcoming approximately 4 - 6 weeks before the expiry date of your current card, unless there may be changes in the statutory rules wrt the individual photograph on record, NB; there may indeed be a change coming to match the standards used for passport and similar ID photos!

What will happen to people like me with S1 health insurance after Brexit?

Nobody - by which I mean literally NOBODY (not just on TT but) in any official role in local national or EU government from entry level civil servant to state minister president, federal chancellor or any president of the EU Parliament, EU comission, EU Council of Ministers or any EU head of state has claimed to know the answer to that question at this time.

- Is it possible that even with a wife and child here I could be deported?

It would seem to be highly unlikely due to mulitiple assurances to the contrary having been issued over the last 6 - 12 months by the federal chancellor, a number of federal and most state ministers.

BMI - Homepage - FAQs on right of residence in the context of Brexit

However each of these assurances has included caveats to underline the point that until the UK HoC and the UK government have agreed to sign and ratify both the WA and the political declaration no guarantees can be given.

Would I be eligible for German citizenship and what would that entail, could I get dual citizenship?

Currently, yes if you qualify and have applied before whatever the final date the UK's Article 50 declaration takes affect.

As to what it would entail, (assuming you don't wish to read any of the fully detailed descriptions of the procedure aka the experiences of many other TTers who have posted on the appropriate topic thread since July 2016 - pro-tip you can safely disregard all posts from TTers not located in Bavaria - different states different interpretations of the rules!) you need to contact the Einbürgerungbüro of the commune in Bayern in which you live who will be happy to issue you with a list pertaining to what that would entail.

Is there anything I should be doing etc. in preparation for Brexit?

Quite obviously there would seem to be many things indeed!

I fly in and out of the country on a monthly basis to the UK for work. Will I likely suddenly have visa issues?

Quite possibly you will but, considering how critical a position you appear to be heading for, I'm sure you will have been keeping abreast of all the latest advice as it has been updated by both the German and UK governments almost every quarter since July 2016 and every month since November 2018.

You can navigate from these links to find the situation nearest to your own.

BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Welcome page

Welcome to GOV.UK

Living abroad - GOV.UK

HTH

2B

29 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

2B:  What a great reply.  Well done and thank you.

Indeed. And also thanks again to @john g. for confirming that there is no good answer now  for these S1 questions. Healthcare is not a trivial matter.