Mould in flat

18 posts in this topic

Dear members,

I am vacating the apartment in two months. In my apartment bathroom, there is a Schimmel. It kept increasing.I have not informed my owner earlier. Now at this point, when vacating the apartment, do I need to completely re-paint the bathroom walls? or any solution to remove Schimmel? The renovation year of the apartment not mentioned in the contract

Also, how to check my contract who is responsible for the repair costs? At the time of renting the apartment I realy didn't check the contract clauses well.In my contract it is mentioned that schönheitsreparaturen costs are borne by the tenant.

Kindly help with your suggestions. Thanks

Go to DM and buy a cleaning spray-Like these ones for the bathroom; but this one is specifically for Schimmel, its written on SCHIMMELFREI. Spray it on the are affected with Schimmel and after the recommended minutes just clean it off with a Tuch/Küchenrolle..

1 hour ago, AfricanGal said:

Go to DM and buy a cleaning spray-Like these ones for the bathroom; but this one is specifically for Schimmel, its written on SCHIMMELFREI. Spray it on the are affected with Schimmel and after the recommended minutes just clean it off with a Tuch/Küchenrolle..

That's the trouble with you animal lovers. A Schimmel belongs in to a barn and not into the Haus!:lol:

22 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Mieterverein!  If you are not a member, join and ask them to check your contract.

Vielen Dank @RedMidge  I am not a member in mierverein. But I have private versicherung für Mietrecht and I need to pay everytime as a selbstbeteilgung of 150 Euro.

I have couple of questions.

- Is it free to check the Mietvertrag without paying selbstbeteiligung for checking?

- My owner like to view the apartment next week to check if the apartment needs to be renovoted? 

i am not sure if this is legal before  Wöhnungsübegabe. Morover where and how to check in the contract when the apartment has    been last renovoted? How ofeten usualy the apartment has to be renovated?

Could you kindly help with few suggestions?

19 hours ago, AfricanGal said:

Vielen Dank @AfricanGal I try immediately tomorrow. 

Could you help with some suggestions on renovation queries as well? I thank a lot

8 minutes ago, GaneshK said:

- Is it free to check the Mietvertrag without paying selbstbeteiligung for checking?

You need to ask the insurance - we don't know your contract and its conditions.

- My owner like to view the apartment next week to check if the apartment needs to be renovoted? 

Is that a question?

i am not sure if this is legal before  Wöhnungsübegabe.

It is legal. The landlord has obviously also announced this in good time. 

Morover where and how to check in the contract when the apartment has    been last renovoted?

The removal of mould has nothing to do with cosmetic repairs. The tenants association can still help you to understand your contract.

How ofeten usualy the apartment has to be renovated?

There are no rigid deadlines - but once again: the elimination of mould has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately, it wasn't very smart of you to just let the mould grow without notifying the landlord. 

Could you kindly help with few suggestions?#

Join the Mieterverein.

I never understood how one can have mold accumulate in the bathroom if it is cleaned and aired regularly.

I'm not sure if you have to let the landlord in before turnover. She/he can figure out the renovation after you move out unless she/he is coming to tell you what to do before you move out. 

Sorry. the lost post format was messedup.

Thanks @someonesdaughter

Regarding visit: It is not a question.My landlord would like to visit next week and check if the wohnung needs to be renovated or not.This is something new for me , as in my experience with previous landlord, they visited only at the end of the day (Wöhnungsübergabe) and then sent me the calculation for cleaning, repair etc.

Not reporting earlier about the mould is my fault. i didn't knew the procedure. Shall i inform now before the visit?

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I never understood how one can have mold accumulate in the bathroom if it is cleaned and aired regularly.

I'm not sure if you have to let the landlord in before turnover. She/he can figure out the renovation after you move out unless she/he is coming to tell you what to do before you move out. 

hi @fraufruit Thanks for the reply. The mould was on upper wall/ surfaceof the bathroom. there is no window. Only a small  hole for air ventilation or circulation.When it was new, I asked my collegues and they said it is common and can be repainted when vacating the apartment.So i didnt took any action.

Just now, GaneshK said:

Sorry. the lost post format was messedup.

Thanks @someonesdaughter

Regarding visit: It is not a question.My landlord would like to visit next week and check if the wohnung needs to be renovated or not.This is something new for me , as in my experience with previous landlord, they visited only at the end of the day (Wöhnungsübergabe) and then sent me the calculation for cleaning, repair etc.

Yes, nice - but this landlord just wants to know beforehand what is coming to him (and there is mould coming to him, of which he knows nothing because you didn't inform him). Please read in your contract what it says about the right of inspection. 

Or just be glad he's taking care of it in time. If it turns out on the day you move out that the mould damage has to be extensively repaired before he can rent out the apartment again, the landlord can invoice you for a possible loss of rent. 

Just now, GaneshK said:

Not reporting earlier about the mould is my fault. i didn't knew the procedure.

I can't understand how you can watch the mould grow without doing anything about it and informing the landlord, sorry. Mould endangers your health. You don't really need any 'procedures', but a bit of common sense. 

Just now, GaneshK said:

Shall i inform now before the visit?

Suit yourself. Maybe then his shock won't be quite so great ... 

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It´s easily possible in poorly isolated buildings. If the wall is cold enough to allow condensation it can happen even if you heat and air a lot. Es peciall in corners of outside walls because these are exposed more to the impact of cold and will therefore often have the lowest surface temperature.

After having removed the mold use a silicate-based paint because the high ph-value (above 10) of those will prevent mold from growing again (for about 5 years at least, after which it needs to be repainted).

9 hours ago, GaneshK said:

there is no window. Only a small  hole for air ventilation or circulation.

We also have no window in ours and, as I've said before, we leave the door open a bit when showering and then open fully when we are out and for the rest of the time. I keep a little spray bottle with bleach in it that I use on any black spot that I see forming and wipe it off.

I wish you luck with the inspection and your move.

@fraufruit @someonesdaughter

Thanks for the tips.With the help of Schimmelfrei from dm i removed mould from the tiles. But on the ceiling (Top  portion of wall) fully moulded and I could not remove it.

Meanwhile, I had a contact with lawyer asking the clarification and he mentioned to (repaint self if i know how to do it) or have to give it to handwerker.

Could anyone suggest is it easy to paint self (The room is about 10m2 - only top of the wall has to be painted)?

Or if not possible, any Handwerker links?

Thanks in advance

As far as I know if you do paint only the top half this will look strange unless you did live there less then about 6 month because colour does change with time and who knows whether you manage to get hold of exactly the same colour. And in such half done style it might not be accepted by landlord. It needs to be done properly ( in Handwerker quality irrespective of whether you do it yourself or ask someone to do it for you). 

10 hours ago, GaneshK said:

Could anyone suggest is it easy to paint self

It isn’t terribly difficult, but there are many things you could do wrong which would just cost you more money and hassle. Since it sounds like you have never even watched someone paint a room, you will likely do everything wrong. 

Either find a friend or two who knows what they are doing or pay someone. Your neighbors or landlord can probably recommend someone. 

" But on the ceiling (Top  portion of wall) fully moulded and I could not remove it. "

If there is wall paper on the ceiling, I think you have to remove it completely and redo.

If you still see mold or you don't have wallpaper on the ceiling, I suspect that the mold is already in the plaster.

To remove mold completely the plaster has to be removed and redone.

Have fun!