Freelancing in Berlin as UK Citizen

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

So, I require advice relating to health insurance and freelancing. 

I am from the UK and came to Berlin in June to work as an employee. This took care of my AOK health insurance. I then left my job in April. 

I am registered here in Berlin at a friend's address (still subletting), and am now considering going freelance as a proofreader, as i have a client base building up. 

My question - can I do all my taxes and health through the UK, and be registered in Berlin at an address? I wish to stay in Berlin and find a home soon. 

If not possible, can I register here as a freelancer and set up a new affordable health plan with AOK? Not sure how it all works so any simplified advice be magic.

Thank you in advance everyone!

David   

7 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

How are you covered with health at the moment?

Hey Red,

I'm covered through my full-time job until may 14th, a month after my leave date. 

Then I'm in the wind as they say, and wish to register as a freelancer but not pay huge fees monthly. 

Not sure how best to go about it all. I guess first register as freelancer, get a new tax number, then inform the health company? 

I'd love to avoid all of that and do it from the UK but being registered and in system, the health company will no doubt be in touch. 

Best,

David 

1 hour ago, DavidDD said:

My question - can I do all my taxes and health through the UK, and be registered in Berlin at an address?

In a nutshell: No. f you live in Germany and want to work as a Freelancer, you have to register here with the tax office, have health insurance here, pay taxes here. 

1 hour ago, DavidDD said:

If not possible, can I register here as a freelancer and set up a new affordable health plan with AOK? Not sure how it all works so any simplified advice be magic.

You have to register. You can find out how to do this yourself with the forum search. There are numerous threads and a FAQ.

40 minutes ago, DavidDD said:

Not sure how best to go about it all. I guess first register as freelancer, get a new tax number, then inform the health company? 

No, inform the AOK immediately and explain your plans, otherwise they will classify you at the highest level from May onwards. 

The minimum contribution for self-employed persons, including long-term care insurance, is around 190€ (since this year). You will also find numerous contributions in the forum search. 

(And another request: One thread is enough - asking the same questions in several threads only causes chaos. People may waste their time answering questions that have long since been answered and then quickly lose the desire to help. Thank you.)