Future of Germany

51 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Yawn.

If the alcohol makes you sleepy, maybe day drinking isn't for you.

And calling a bunch of racist right-wing assholes (but I repeat myself) the "intellectual dark web" doesn't make them any less racist.

I have to say, it doesn't surprise me that you eat up their every word and take it as the gospel truth. You incels have to stick together.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a 1 party dictatorship that knows it is only safe whilst the workers have jobs and can feed their families. There is also the point about the Chinese authorities spying on everyone else through their IT systems.

European Parliament insists on stopping work on Nordstream II. 

• Sanction Russian officials involved in the decision to imprison Alexei Navalny as well as President Putin’s inner circle 
  • Russian wealth of unclear origin should not be welcome in the EU 
  • Work to complete the Nord Stream 2 pipeline must be stopped immediately 

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20210119IPR95904/parliament-demands-significantly-tighter-eu-sanctions-against-russia

US sanctions against the pipeline are ‘not OK,’ Chancellor Angela Merkel chancellor says.

https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkel-joe-biden-nord-stream-2/

Time for some. 🍿

1 hour ago, balticus said:

From that link:

would have us use every persuasive tool that we have to convince our friends and partners including Germany not to move forward with it.”

That´s the magic solution. Every persuasive tool surely implies paying those few billions per year in compensation for the economic downside related to stopping the project.

20 hours ago, jeba said:

From that link:

That´s the magic solution. Every persuasive tool surely implies paying those few billions per year in compensation for the economic downside related to stopping the project.

Germany can just apply sanctions to US companies and let it play out.   It may be the tough lesson needed to demonstrate how much of German and European prosperity and stability is a function of US largesse even now.     Good luck with that.   

The European Parliament has weighed in.   Unless the Brexiteers were correct that Brussels is a vehicle through which the dominant members of the EU force their agenda on the smaller members,  ;)  Germans may need to give serious consideration to the objections of other EU members.   

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Germany can just apply sanctions to US companies and let it play out.   It may be the tough lesson needed to demonstrate how much of German and European prosperity and stability is a function of US largesse even now.     Good luck with that.   

The US needs Europe as much as vice versa to roll back Western reliance on China. So I don´t think Biden will want a trade war between the US and the EU.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

The US needs Europe as much as vice versa to roll back Western reliance on China. So I don´t think Biden will want a trade war between the US and the EU.

The US can go it alone.   I hope they don't but that has been the trend since the end of Obama's Presidency.   With energy independence, the US has the possibility to achieve autarky.    

The US has one of the lowest trade/I GDP ratios of industrialized countries.   Out of the roughly 12%, around half is conducted between the US and Mexico or Canada.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_trade-to-GDP_ratio

Mexico is the US's most important trade partner and will be for the next 25 years at least.   Canada is more of a competitor as its demographic look pretty European.    The other important trade partners are South Korea, Japan and Australia.   I am guessing that the UK will be added to that list also.  

Germany relies heavily on the US for security and for the support of its financial system.    Many people fail to see the link between trade and security for the US.    The US keeps its security alliances strong by offering trade incentives to allies.   Germans should recognize this better than any other country.   

5 hours ago, balticus said:

The US can go it alone. 

If they had to, maybe. BUt it would come with a lowering of GDP and living standard. Why should they want that?

I know, weird huh?

There are no posts since:

On 14/12/2019, 11:58:53, French bean said:

I wouldn't expect anything less from a 1 party dictatorship that knows it is only safe whilst the workers have jobs and can feed their families. There is also the point about the Chinese authorities spying on everyone else through their IT systems.

back in 2019 and yet it lives... :)