Being the outsider in a village

37 posts in this topic

Just now, annieb8822 said:

We closed the pub because its not actually legal to poison people with salmonella

Does the rest of the village know this?

55 minutes ago, franklan said:

You should at least try to find out how that is called, it's called Boßeln

Quite similar to Irish road bowling, BTW.

Beats dodge ball, the all-American subburban street game where two teams take turns throwing a large rubber ball at one another's bodies. When you get slugged by one of these, the other team gets the ball so you better dodge it! 

22 minutes ago, cybil said:

Beats dodge ball, the all-American subburban street game where two teams take turns throwing a large rubber ball at one another's bodies. When you get slugged by one of these, the other team gets the ball so you better dodge it! 

sounds like völkerball

1 hour ago, annieb8822 said:

As for why half the village were stood in our neighbours garden gawping at our back door...I have not got a clue!

well, you started the rumor the pub might re-open. maybe it got lost in translation somewhere and they though you might open that day.

the whole town sounds like a nightmare. i would never move to a small town as long as it is not a suburb of an actual city.

2 hours ago, franklan said:

That's rather smart because some areas in Germany still have live landmines from WWII...

that is one of the best rationalizations I've seen in some time :)

I don't understand why the only possibility for a pub is in your house. If there is a need, why doesn't someone open one somewhere else?

Were the women even allowed into the pub?

@annieb8822 I think you should try to stick with one thread to cover your saga.  In various other threads you've explained in a lot of detail how some of these problems came to transpire, eg how the LOCAL trades-people pretty much blacklisted you (ie actively preventing you from finishing the work such that you can reopen the oh so precious pub), how the roofers contaminated your building and yard with asbestos, etc etc

it appears to me many people missed those threads.  instead of going over everything again and again in different threads, it would be easier to follow if it were all in one place.

1 hour ago, cybil said:

noooo

it's better to catch it, then the thrower is out and you get to keep it :)

On 12.4.2019, 17:00:23, kiplette said:

It would make a great blog.

Sounds more like the perfect comic mini-series or sitcom, with a raft of set-ups for endless conflict.  The who-the-hell-would-buy-this-heap pub purchase, the inevitable catastrophic close-ups of the damage and rot, the clashes with the tradesmen as trying to fix things only makes it worse, meanwhile the backlash of the locals as they try to adjust to being cut off their booze and left without a centre of social life, and the outsiders who set it all off giving you juuuuust enough doubt that their reaction might be half the problem.

Here's another of the sub-plots for those who are trying to catch up on this season:

I can't help wondering if this is the same "once in a lifetime opportunity" some geezer posted about on Facebook a while back?

It was on one of those Brexit-Germany-stuff related groups, sounded... interesting and/or iffy.

On 12/04/2019, 13:33:37, lisa13 said:

There they all were gawping at our back door!!!!!!

why?

I feel like I'm missing the punchline.

Sounds to me like they had just gone in the garden for whatever reason (bbq? talking about gardening?) when dogs started barking next door, and they heard someone on the other side of the fence rushing towards the neighbour's back door. They all looked over, and the door was wrenched open and the new neighbours stood there gawping at them for no apparent reason.

On 14.4.2019, 10:50:30, fraufruit said:

A modern day Green Acres so to speak.

Not the same unless you have a pet pig

Apart from an apparent total disregard of 70 years of history and 30 years of reunification pains, it sounds to me a bit more like a removal to rural northern Germany of the 1932 published comic novel, (described as occuring during 1946 in the period following the Nicarguan-British War), Cold Comfort Farm

2B