Being the outsider in a village

42 posts in this topic

we have been in this village and our new property for nearly 3 month and my eyes have been opened.

We got past the old owner walking in the house, via a locked gate and through the garden.

We are even learning how to handle local handwerkers or rather the lack of them.

we know that we are being discussed at the dorfhaus and that we have angered the village by closing their pub.

We angered some people even more by taking a "stray" dog to the tierheim. In fact the dog wasn´t a stray. She sat outside our house all day and all evening. It was cold so at night we bought her in, fed her and then walked her to as many houses that we could to find her owner. We missed the house down the unlit dirt track. 

We also pinned notices everywhere. 

Next day we took her to the tierheim. She was lovely and our dogs got on really well with her.

We found out that she had a chip but wasn´t registered. Later that day we found out that she had been reunited with her owner. We weren´t told who.

A few days later angry woman accosted my husband, having a go at him for making her go all the way to the tierheim to collect her dog and now she had to pay €24 to register her. We should have left dog apparently.  The woman lived ...in the house down the unlit dirt track !

Much gritting of teeth and holding our tongues !!!!!!!! 

Then we are told that we would be expected to attend the functions at the Dorfhaus and any events held in the field. 

We´ve been warned about these. Women sit one side, men the other. Husband and wife do not mix. no argument. In fact I am fairly sure     women tend to walk 3 paces behind their husbands here. Certainly Fathers do fun things with their sons but girls stay at home.

Local tradesmen soon worked out that by not coming out to us on arranged appointments, didn´t make us resort to begging them to come. We just looked further afield. 3 strikes and your out policy works. 

On his last chance a new roofer came out to look at the chimneys. This is where we got the run down about this property.

The old owner refused to do repairs. When his asbestos roof broke, he wouldn´t repair it so the customers stopped coming.

In fact it was a minor repair on 2 chimneys that caused 2 of the bedrooms to be totally wrecked. All the old owner did for many years was keep putting more and more layers of wallpaper on to cover up the damage.

Stripping the walls and removing the plaster has been easy. One yank and the whole lot came off.

The roofer also understands that if handwerkers come out and do the jobs, then we COULD open the pub quicker. We only said we could. We have not said that we would.

Hoping that,  that little gem of information was going to spread as fast as whats on our washing line, we sat back happier.

The next day, in the evening, the dogs start going mental. Barking, running around and generally worried.

Had someone got into the garden again? we replaced the gate with a high fence! We rushed to the back door to find...……..HALF THE PIGGIN VILLAGE STOOD IN NEXT DOORS GARDEN. They must have sold tickets ! There they all were gawping at our back door!!!!!!

Open the pub up again, they'll be happy as piggin' pigs in shit

Sounds similar to where I grew up in Schwäbisch-Kongo. Whereabouts is this village? Just so that I know to avoid it but it sounds like you live in one of these places with a monosyllabic Ortsname and where the family trees of the aboriginals are very closely pruned with six fingers being the norm.

Do you know if they still eat their dead in your village?

22 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

There they all were gawping at our back door!!!!!!

why?

I feel like I'm missing the punchline.

28 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

we would be expected to attend the functions at the Dorfhaus and any events held in the field. 

We´ve been warned about these. Women sit one side, men the other. Husband and wife do not mix.

Wait... what? In the field?! Which field?

29 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

we have angered the village by closing their pub.

Did you actually do this, or was the pub closed before you moved in there?

Sounds like a Stephen King novel, run for the hills.  P.S. Why did you close the pub?

EDIT.  Didn't realise that you had moved into the pub.

Okay to answer some questions. Any event in the village, Christmas parties, summer parties, the thing where they chuck a ball down the street and chase after it ( don´t ask !) any get together in the village requires women to sit away from the men. 

The village is on north sea coast and strangely lots of people have the same surname.

We closed the pub for a couple of reasons. The broken asbestos roof and the rats running around had something to do with it.

As for why half the village were stood in our neighbours garden gawping at our back door...I have not got a clue!

23 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

the thing where they chuck a ball down the street and chase after it ( don´t ask !)

You should at least try to find out how that is called, it's called Boßeln

Quite similar to Irish road bowling, BTW.

Fix the roof, get an exterminator.  Just get the beer flowing again!  In these times of low interest rates, you can renovate on credit and pay it off with overpriced pub food and drink.

Not so simple. The previous owner also cut all the water pipes to the upstairs rooms, removed the radiators, refused to do any repairs. We are being forced to live in the bar while all the restoration goes on.

also all the cooking fat was tipped down the rainwater drain so that has to be cleared.

The best bit was he also cut the toilet waste pipes from upstairs.

all of this takes time and money.

We´ll get there but when we do we are selling.

I don´t want to live in a village where i´m ignored because i´m a woman

Sadly,  moving to a small village ( ? in old Ossie part??), means  trying to fit in, find out about local customs, .  Yes, this can mean participating in local events, as boring as they might be!

23 minutes ago, annieb8822 said:

I don´t want to live in a village where i´m ignored because i´m a woman

No, you're not ignored because you're a woman. You're the one who bought the former village pub and doesn't  show any inclination to reopen it. 

You simly don't grasp what's going on: The local folks want you out of that house and someone else with the inclination to reopen the pub in.

Same shite would happen in a small Scotish, Irish, English, Welsh, Belgian, French or Polish village.

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Sadly,  moving to a small village ( ? in old Ossie part??), means  trying to fit in, find out about local customs, .  Yes, this can mean participating in local events, as boring as they might be!

I´m sure these events are not boring however if I go out with my husband I want to sit with him

Just now, annieb8822 said:

I´m sure these events are not boring however if I go out with my husband I want to sit with him

First Barbie we went  to in Australia- men down one end, women down  the other end! 

Kaffee Klatsch days freaked me out a bit here at first, but it was a good way to meet others, practise my German, and amazing how others opened up on their overseas trips,  likes, ideas and tips.    I like my female  friends and have always been happy to meet up without the men!

We actually fully intended to run the bar, an english tea room and we even had bookings for the function room that we intended to honour.

the council actually closed the kitchens. The roof has been replaced, the plumbing has been reinstated. The electrician is here right now trying to put the electrics back. We have a lot of decorating and plastering to do still. The kitchens have to be gutted and cleaned and theres still a huge hole in the ceiling of the function roof. The water supply has a huge question mark over it

We closed the pub because its not actually legal to poison people with salmonella