Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

house prices

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, right now I live in the UK. Yesterday I started to check out the property websites in Germany and I found some very cheap houses with garden around 20,000-40,000 Euros. I know that the Eastern part is cheaper, but I found it still very cheap. (I know that property prices depend on job availability as well, but don't need a job, I work from home.) Are those prices realistic? Or am I missing something? I didn't see any "auction" remark in the adverts. (I don't want to contact agencies until I did some more research.) I would appreciate every information. Thank you in advance.

35 minutes ago, dorka said:

Are those prices realistic? Or am I missing something? 

Presumably: the poor building fabric (houses do not improve when they are empty), the poor infrastructure, the lack of network coverage (mobile phone and Internet), the lack of public transport infrastructure. And how well do you speak German?  Don't expect that you can get through with English, no matter if you have to go to an authority or to a doctor (if you can find one).

It is definitely possible to buy a house in an unloved part of Germany for €20-40k, but it would have all the downsides mentioned by @someonesdaughter, and almost certainly require you to spend some money on making it somewhere you could even live in. In that sense, it is no different to the UK, where it is also possible to buy a house for £20k...welcome to Burnley: https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/45285785?search_identifier=9fcd5ad867d1a9083319cd9eb5689690#rkSWahiDr0pBdUPF.97

Thanks for the quick response and I know the importance of the German language. Thanks again.

29 minutes ago, dorka said:

Yesterday I started to check out the property websites in Germany and I found some very cheap houses with garden around 20,000-40,000 Euros.

That's the easy part done with then. ;)

Welcome to Toytown Germany @dorka where you'll be able to put one or two key words into the TT site search (top right) await the list of site ads to appear then scroll down and click on the 'Show other results' button to find several dozen threads with detailed answers to the same questions posed by previous visitors.

There are also a handful of longer threads posted by experienced expats who went down this road with many examples of the typical pitfalls they had to deal with. TT user names whose expensive and frustrating trials will live on in the collective memory include @CamperMan and @Mr.G so you could try adding their user names to your search (e.g.: "house+CamperMan" or "house+Mr.G").

I know that the Eastern part is cheaper, but I found it still very cheap. (I know that property prices depend on job availability as well, but don't need a job, I work from home.)

And you won't be needing any reliable internet connection availability either I suppose.

Are those prices realistic?

Prices are what they are. Whether your expectations are realistic or not is another question.

Or am I missing something?

Oh yes! You're probably missing a whole lot of things.

I didn't see any "auction" remark in the adverts.

That is not in and of itself any particular indicator of a multiple number of reasons why a property may be on the market at an apparently low price.

(I don't want to contact agencies until I did some more research.)

That's probably wise otherwise you might be obligated to pay a huuuge (more than the listed price even!)  real estate agent fee should you ever actually buy one of their listed offers.

Be sure to check that you're not looking at Wochenendhäuse (weekend houses) located in so-called Schrebergarten (garden allotments) where only overnight stays on Fri or Sat are permitted and which tend to be under the strict control of a committee of other co-members who may lay down the law on your every attempt to change or improve the site.

Also be sure that the house has paved road access and has been connected within the last 10 - 20 years to the local fresh water, sewage, gas and electrical mains otherwise you may find yourself facing multiple charges in excess of the 'house price' to meet each of those requirements.

Be sure the local commune has approved the continuing use of the property as a dwelling and is not intending to run a new bypass road past it within 10 meters at any time in the next 15 years.

Or you could post links to the ads you saw and perhaps some TTers could save you time by pointing out the likely drawbacks - of course that would expose those willing TT community volunteers to a barrage of critisism from the usual bunch of newbies who do not add anything much to the TT server data base other than complaints about their prospects of unicorns and rainbows being spoiled and accusations of negativity by TT naysayers.:rolleyes:

We just can't help but be unhelpful to someone sometimes just by trying to be helpful.:D

2B

Just to add something to what other said:  The house might have very bad insulation, so be prepared to pay 2K or more in heating per year and still having to wear a thick pullover inside.