Moving 3,5 hours away following a separation

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

I am following up on a post I recently wrote about separating frommy hubby. I thank everyone for the input, yet I really need only expert advices, if possible. 

I am in a bit of a rut here. I am married to someone I need to separate from. Suffice to say, our relationship is not working anymore, and he is beyond ridiculous and psychologically abusive. We have a 2 year old.

I already spoke to a lawyer. She told me that I needed to find myself work during the day (now I work nights), and that my chance of gaining custody (more than 50%) is very high. Yet I would need to probably move out to start the separation. My question is the following: Moving out to another place in Munich is real hard, the prices of apartments are crazy. Say I find myself a job in heidelberg (about 3,5 hours), would moving to there also work in order to start the separation, or do I have to live close to my hubby?

My hubby will fight until the end to have the baby, yet he will most likely not gain 50% custody, as he has a small criminal rcord, very bad employment history and speaks really bad German (after 5 years of living here). I could make a real good case against him. However, if he agrees to move to heidelberg, I would be willing to share custody with him (about 50-50). This job would be ideal for me, and I feel I have no future here in Munich from a professional standpoint

Thank youl, 

A

Talk to a lawyer and talk to Jugendamt before you do anything. I know a case where a woman was ordered not to move more than 100km with the kids as to not interfere with the father's visitation and she already had custody.

If you remove the child from the mutual apartment where he's registered without the father's permission, it could be held against you. If you leave him there and move out yourself, it could also be held against you when it comes to custody.

It seems strange the lawyer didn't already provide details about the pitfalls and guidelines for moving out with the child as part of the separation process Especially in a city like Munich where the housing market is so broken. 

Was this a specialized divorce/family law lawyer? I think you need one of those. Immediately. A good one.

Just as an aside:

Shared custody does not necessarily refer to where the child lives. You can have joint custody when the child lives with you and only spends every other weekend with the other parent. The custody comes into play when decisions need to be made - medical such as surgery (not regular check-ups), school, travel etc. and - of course - residence.