Unemployment and health insurance

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a TVL-14 contract (and residence permit + blue card eligibility zusatzblatt) valid until July 31, 2019.  I am single and am not yet 50 (or is it 55) years old.

As per the informal agreement with my employer prior to the creation of this contract, I am leaving the job on April 30, 2019 and will switch to a (tax-free) fellowship as a visiting scientist at the Max Planck for 3 months. I will sign a winding-up contract with my current employer for this. As of now, I plan to leave Germany at the end of July, but this is not 100 % certain.

1) If I leave the job, am I technically unemployed ? Can I register at the unemployment bureau ? Of course, I will inform them that I am taking up the fellowship at the Max Planck.. 

2) One main thing I will lose is my private Debeka health insurance, since it will become too expensive for me to maintain on my own (without an employer's contribution). TKK refused me before (long story involving 9 months on a salary and TKK when I arrived, followed by a fellowship and cheap private health insurance, and then a salary again and Debeka because TKK refused). But TKK did say that if I lost my job, I could switch to TKK. So question 1 is related to this... 

3) If I cannot go back to TKK, I have to find a cheaper private insurance. Any suggestions ? I guess there is always Mawista, but I would like to have the option of TKK if possible.

Thanks !

1 hour ago, madzientist said:

I am leaving the job on April 30, 2019 and will switch to a (tax-free) fellowship as a visiting scientist at the Max Planck for 3 months. I will sign a winding-up contract with my current employer for this.  (...)

1) If I leave the job, am I technically unemployed ? Can I register at the unemployment bureau ?

No to both. Those who quit their job themselves or contribute to it in agreement with their employer will be suspended for 12 weeks anyway. Besides, I don't think that a scholarship as Visiting Scientist will pass for unemployment. 

3) If I cannot go back to TKK, I have to find a cheaper private insurance.

You can't go back and good luck in finding a private insurance that will cheaply insure you for only three months ... I fear you have to bite the bullet and pay your premiums for the Debeka. 

9 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

You can't go back and good luck in finding a private insurance that will cheaply insure you for only three months ... I fear you have to bite the bullet and pay your premiums for the Debeka. 

Mawista is happy to insure me for 3 months.. apparently... but I guess you do not consider them to be proper insurance ? 

Thanks !

11 hours ago, madzientist said:

Mawista is happy to insure me for 3 months.. apparently... but I guess you do not consider them to be proper insurance ? 

What I think is not relevant - but there are already qualified statements on the subject of Mawista here, e.g.

On 29.11.2018, 11:15:13, Starshollow said:

No, an insurance likeMAWISTA is not suitable for anyone with a main/permanent residence in Germany. It is, as you correctly mention, a travel health insurance only. German law stipulates quite clearly, what kind of health insurance is needed in order to be fully compliant with the legal requirements for all residents. That is either public health insurance or a fully substitutive private health insurance. 

The question will be whether the Debeka accepts your resignation at all. Because the Debeka would have to check if you are changing to another, legally recognized insurance company.

Debeka says they will accept the cancellation if my job situation changes. And I used Mawista Science for four years already while on a fellowship here and had no problem with the Auslaendersbehorde when submitting that as proof of insurance, and Mawista is happy to accept me. So all *seems* well on these counts.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, madzientist said:

Debeka says they will accept the cancellation if my job situation changes. And I used Mawista Science for four years already while on a fellowship here and had no problem with the Auslaendersbehorde when submitting that as proof of insurance, and Mawista is happy to accept me. So all *seems* well on these counts.

Well then: Good luck! :) 

8 hours ago, madzientist said:

Thanks again.

Have Debeka actually said they would accept Mawista as a replacement if your job situation changes?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

The topic of Mawista never came up when they said it would not be a problem. But I guess now I am forewarned: I am doing my Abmeldung from Goettingen, and so in principle, from Debeka's perspective, I could be leaving the country the next day, I guess. Not sure, but I will tread carefully :)