Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

do I need Arbeitszeugnis or Arbeitsbestätigung ?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I lost my my job recently and unfortunately I didn't separate amicably with my employer. I might have to sue him for money which he refuses to pay. At the moment I am looking for a job and I have to ask him for some kind of recommendation. I understand that in Germany there is Arbeitszeugnis (einfach and qualifiziert) and Arbeitsbestätigung which I can combine with letter of recommendation. I read in some forums that the Arbeitszeugnis is a bit outdated and also complicated to write. I am also afraid that my ex-employer may write something bad or refuse at all to give me a recommendation. Can you please advise me which type of document to ask for. Thank you!

How long did you work for your ex-employer? If it was less than six months, your ex-employer is not obliged to give you an Arbeitszeugnis. You are then only entitled to an Arbeitsbescheinigung which states the duration of your employment and the position you had there. 

I am not a lawyer and cannot give you any legal advice. 

Thank you for your reply. I have worked there for almost two years. I already have this Arbeitsbescheinigung because it was needed by the Agentur für Arbeit. My question is more about what kind of document do the employers in Germany usually ask for when you apply. 

When you write your CV you state how long your period of employment was with each company you worked for.

According to the duration of employment, you must have an Arbeitsbestätigung or an Arbeitszeugnis for each company you worked for.

As you worked for your previous employer for longer than 6 months, you are entitled to an Arbeitszeugnis.

Here in Germany, these documents are very important as you have to provide them for each job you apply for all your working life.