Disabled-friendly apartment (Schoeneweide)

9 posts in this topic

Hello, someone I know (30 years old, Indian citizen on a student visa) is paraplegic, and is currently in a Schoeneweide apartment with a non-functioning elevator, and is about to get evicted because the apartment cannot handle his disability. He is currently learning German before enrolling at the university.

Any suggested options ? Are there any special apartment listings for disabled people ? Thanks !

54 minutes ago, madzientist said:
He is currently learning German before enrolling at the university.

How much German does he already speak? Does he have someone to translate for him if necessary? What is his budget?

https://www.mobidat.net/wohnungen/

Budget is 300-350 Euros. His German is A2, studying B1, but he can find someone to help him with translation if necessary. 

Thank you for the site: I forwarded it to him. He wants to find something in Schoeneweide or nearby, because that is where his language school is. 

ps. Apparently, he has already been through the mobidat website and " I had already gone through the website you given. But didn't get any leads. The rent is comparatively very high, and most of the numbers didn't respond. "

Is he a member of the Mieterverein? I would think that a non- functioning lift needs to be repaired . Is he getting help/ support from professionals in his apartment?

58 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Is he a member of the Mieterverein? I would think that a non- functioning lift needs to be repaired . Is he getting help/ support from professionals in his apartment?

I think the answer is "no" to both... it is one of those super-cheap small rooms, with one bathroom shared among 8 students.. and as of now, he is planning to return to India and finish the German lessons from there (which is sub-optimal) before returning to Fulda to start university later this year.

Unfortunately, I somehow suspect that the Mieterverein option is not practical for him, given his language skills and living situation... 

6 hours ago, madzientist said:

Budget is 300-350 Euros.

Last I heard wheelchair accessible apartments in Berlin are much more expensive than that on the private market. As a language lerner who is not registered as a university student he is not eligible for subsidised student housing through the Studentenwerk.

1 hour ago, madzientist said:

and as of now, he is planning to return to India and finish the German lessons from there (which is sub-optimal) before returning to Fulda to start university later this year.

Before he continues with learning German, I would strongly recommend that he conducts substantially more research to determine whether Germany is the right country for him to continue his studies.

21 hours ago, madzientist said:
Hello, someone I know (30 years old, Indian citizen on a student visa) is paraplegic, and is currently in a Schoeneweide apartment with a non-functioning elevator, and is about to get evicted because the apartment cannot handle his disability. He is currently learning German before enrolling at the university.

Any suggested options ? Are there any special apartment listings for disabled people ? Thanks !

Many people I know who come for student Visa usually have sponsors who host their stays. It’s usually family members. Does he not have anyone? Personally, I believe if a person has high potential, it should be put to good use and resources should be made available. If getting in to Germany for student visa will help utilize his capabilities and skills, then why not? He deserves help. I am not so sure, but isn’t one of the qualifications for getting in for student Visa is financial capacity to support the student? Especially with his specially needs, has it not been looked into prior to entry?

16 hours ago, thegreatdivide said:

I am not so sure, but isn’t one of the qualifications for getting in for student Visa is financial capacity to support the student?

Yes, however, many students live in cheap shared accommodation in order to make ends meet and wheelchair accessible housing is not cheap (unless it is subsidised).

16 hours ago, thegreatdivide said:

Especially with his specially needs, has it not been looked into prior to entry?

He probably only had to show that he had around 9000€ in order for him to receive his visa in India and they wouldn't have taken into account the increased costs he would be faced.

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

Yes, however, many students live in cheap shared accommodation in order to make ends meet and wheelchair accessible housing is not cheap (unless it is subsidised).

He probably only had to show that he had around 9000€ in order for him to receive his visa in India and they wouldn't have taken into account the increased costs he would be faced.

Ah I see. I understand. 👍