Painting when leaving apartment

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am leaving my apartment after five years there at the end of this month. The apartment is in good condition, and the paint on the walls has not changed much since I moved in (the previous renter did not paint the apartment when they left, and instead gave us a kitchen for free).

My landlord told me this - "Mrs. xxx from yyy company visited the apartment because of the renovation work. She has submitted a cost estimate of € 1,795.46 including VAT. I would like it if a painting company could carry out the work professionally after the long rental period from you. I would like to suggest to you that I participate with € 500.00 and you pay only € 1,295.00. Do you agree? "

I seem to remember reading here that something changed about the rules regarding the responsibility of the tenant for painting. What do you think about this ?

Thanks !!

please just join the mieterverein

we are not lawyers and your situation really does need profi advice.  A lot of it will depend on your contract.  Join the mieterverein.

10 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

please just join the mieterverein

we are not lawyers and your situation really does need profi advice.  A lot of it will depend on your contract.  Join the mieterverein.

OK. Will do, thank you ! I guess the mieterverein will be fine with my joining at the last minute just before I leave Germany and only when I needed advice ? That is, there is no waiting period ?

No idea.  Mine has a two year minimum for membership so if you are leaving the country you might have trouble.

alternately you can use legal insurance (if you have it and it covers landlord/tenant issues) or consider talking to a lawyer.  I have also seen online tenant/landlord services that might be able to help, and I think some charge per case, but I honestly have no experience with these and can't vouch for any.

things you should collect are the contract, any correspondence regarding the issue(s), as well as the übergabeprotokoll and ideally photos of the condition of the place from when you moved in.  If you still have access to or are living in the apartment take photos of it's condition asap, as well as when you do the übergabe on moving out if you haven't done so already.