(SmurfLee Post) Chia Bread at Aldi

18 posts in this topic

This has been my favorite bread ever since I arrived Germany.

When I am lucky and get it coming out from oven a little while ago, it is most delicious. I can eat 3 in a row. It is even more delicious if I have it with Aldi organic unsweetened full fat yogurt. 

I tried Chia bread in Rewe and Lidl as well, but not as good as this one.

Of course the main ingredient is wheat which mean a lot of carbonate, but we need carbonate anyway in our daily food consumption.

The rather small amount of chia seeds have many health benefits including that they are loaded with antioxident.

Wish everyone on TT for good health both on body and mind.  :)

Image result for chia bread aldi

I prefer this chia bread from Aldi. I toast it and spread with avocado. 

brot.jpg.11aa21c12e96f1fc5004664642eb8a5

It has carbohydrates instead of "carbonate" in it.

I am still quite partial to the Wonder Bread I grew up on. 

The German equivalents (Toastbrot, Sandwichbrot) aren’t even close. 

Mmm Wonderbread

Unbleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Yeast, Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Calcium Carbonate (for Smurflee), Soybean Oil, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dough Conditioners (Contains One or More of the Following: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate, Monoglycerides, Mono- and Diglycerides, Distilled Monoglycerides, Calcium Peroxide, Calcium Iodate, DATEM, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid), Vinegar, Monocalcium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Modified Corn Starch, Sucrose, Sugar, Soy Lecithin, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Soy Flour, Ammonium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate (to Retard Spoilage).

1 hour ago, A.N.Other said:

Light Swedish Rye toasts nicely.:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Mmm Wonderbread

Unbleached Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Yeast, Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Calcium Carbonate (for Smurflee), Soybean Oil, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Dough Conditioners (Contains One or More of the Following: Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Stearoyl Lactylate, Monoglycerides, Mono- and Diglycerides, Distilled Monoglycerides, Calcium Peroxide, Calcium Iodate, DATEM, Ethoxylated Mono- and Diglycerides, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid), Vinegar, Monocalcium Phosphate, Yeast Extract, Modified Corn Starch, Sucrose, Sugar, Soy Lecithin, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Soy Flour, Ammonium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate (to Retard Spoilage).

Gosh darnit. Now my mouth is watering. 

19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I prefer this chia bread from Aldi. I toast it and spread with avocado. 

brot.jpg.11aa21c12e96f1fc5004664642eb8a5

It has carbohydrates instead of "carbonate" in it.

Thanks for pointing it out. I should feel ashamed to make such mistake. I was feeling the something is wrong, but did not checkup.

Adding avocado is nice idea, similar creamy texture as full fat yogurt, but even healthier. I will definitely try next week.

19 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Yes, what we grew up on will be our favourites rest of our lives.

I grew up on rice and bean paste soup (Korean food), and I can never get tired of them.

18 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

We have Aldi Nord in Berlin which is not so nice to visit. I do use the nuts from Lidl to make this gluten and yeast free bread. It is very easy to make and tasty.

https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/ 

WOW, looking so tasty, hardly see any wheat ingredient, and I am nuts lover.

Lidl has nice selection for nuts. 150g pack of almonds is only for 1,99 euro. I consume 2 packs a week, one smoked flavor, one salted and roasted.

23 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Lidl has nice selection for nuts. 150g pack of almonds is only for 1,99 euro. I consume 2 packs a week, one smoked flavor, one salted and roasted.

Sometimes my chia bread is on sale for 79 cents so I stock up and put some in the freezer. I toast a piece while mixing one small avocado with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Mash together with a potato masher. I put a very thin layer of marmalade on the toast and then the avocado mixture. Yummy!

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I grew up on rice and bean paste soup (Korean food), and I can never get tired of them.

You could post the recipe. I would give it a shot. 

@fraufruit: no Texas toast like below? In the program Man vs. Food they were at Miss Worcester Diner and one guy comes there every day for 20 years and eats stuff like this. 2000 calories? Probably more.

image.png

On 4/7/2019, 11:59:10, SmurfLee said:

The Psyllium Seed Husks (Flohsamenschalen) a little more tricky to find in my part of Berlin. You can hunt them down in health food shops but they are often tricky to find and you need to ask the staff where they store them. They don't seem to be very popular so that can take a litte time but you get there in the end. :D

They are also quite expensive for what they are so I alway check there is a good year left on the expiry date before purchase as I will not be using them in one go. 

The bread is super tasty and also cuts and freezes in individual slices to toast later very well. It works well with avocado but I tend to slice it and sprinkle crunchy sea salt and a few chill flakes over it rather than add more oil as there is already oil in the nuts. 

On 4/7/2019, 12:25:15, fraufruit said:

Sometimes my chia bread is on sale for 79 cents so I stock up and put some in the freezer. I toast a piece while mixing one small avocado with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Mash together with a potato masher. I put a very thin layer of marmalade on the toast and then the avocado mixture. Yummy!

Sounds so yummy and not too complicated to try. Thank you! 

On 4/7/2019, 1:02:19, A.N.Other said:

You could post the recipe. I would give it a shot. 

There is no specific recipe, or too many ways of making it.

Bean paste is seasoning that is made from beans. First beans are cooked soft, then they are punched to make them mixture of paste some chuckles. Then they are made in bulks about 20cm x 20cm x 8cm, hang on for long time (half year or so), to have them fermented. Then put them inside of salty water for long time. Eventually, they make it seasoning in paste form. When I was child, my grandma and my mom did all at home. Nowadays people just buy from supermarket.

Since it is fermented food, it has special smell, and some people may not like it. But it is considered health food, lowering down cholesterol, and probiotic food.

Here is how my mom cooks the soup. Add water to a pot, add some bean paste in the water. If you are not sure how much bean paste, you can use spoon to mix them up in water and try a bit of water. Then you can add up anything you like, usually, tofu, potato, green hot pepper, some pork, zucchini, or almost any kind of vegetables, all cut in small pieces. Then cook them. Cooking long time it tastes better.
My late grandma used to make it with very strong flavor, very salty and spicy with a lot of stuff. She was very imaginative, she even added skins of dried fish (Korean food, I do not know English name). It was so delicious.

You can also get Chinese bean paste, but it is not as good as Korean bean paste to me.

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

The bread is super tasty 

I believe extremely delicious, especially for someone who loves nuts.