brexit and dual nationality

6 posts in this topic

I've only just come to learn that Germany might allow Brits dual nationality following Brexit. My question now is, am I too late? Do you have to have finalised the paperwork or just applied for the citizenship? Also, I hear rumors of Brits being given until 2020 to apply, but I can't get confirmation of this fact. Any advice would be appreciated. I've been here over 8 years, which I believe is the minimum for applying for citizenship.

K thx Ciao

Blimey, there are several existing threads and hundreds of posts on this. In summary: 1) no-one knows what will happen post-Brexit, and 2) the current deadline for dual nationality is based on having got your completed application in before Brexit (a few weeks ago the deadline was definitely 29 March, but I'm not quite sure which date we're at now, which probably puts me in the same position as the government).

My advice is to use the search function in future though.

Just now, dstanners said:

Blimey, there are several existing threads and hundreds of posts on this. 

My advice is to use the search function in future though.

Yeah, I expected hundreds of posts and so did a search, but couldn't find the threads. Clearly, I need to work on my search skills. Thanks.

I can only repeat here what I wrote on one of the other threads.  A man I know recently told me that his brother who is a UK citizen but lives in Germany had received a letter from ABH.  The letter talked of Brexit and told him that in case of soft Brexit or hard Brexit, he would have different visa options they listed but also that if he opted for German citizenship, he would be allowed to keep his UK citizenship as long as the UK didn't have a problem.  So, I didn't actually see the letter.  Have never met the guy's brother.  But I doubt that he's making it up.  He's a fairly serious type.

14 hours ago, LeonG said:

I can only repeat here what I wrote on one of the other threads.  A man I know recently told me that his brother who is a UK citizen but lives in Germany had received a letter from ABH.  The letter talked of Brexit and told him that in case of soft Brexit or hard Brexit, he would have different visa options they listed but also that if he opted for German citizenship, he would be allowed to keep his UK citizenship as long as the UK didn't have a problem.  So, I didn't actually see the letter.  Have never met the guy's brother.  But I doubt that he's making it up.  He's a fairly serious type.

I have received a similar letter, requesting a meeting to discuss my option, though it did not mention retaining dual nationality.