Should I repaint my apartment when I want to move out?

19 posts in this topic

I am about to move out to a new place, and recently I discussed the painting of the apartment with my landlord for which I need some advice. When I moved into the apartment, walls (and the ceiling) had no wallpaper or paint. Well, the wall itself was made of some white material (sorry don't know what they call it), but it was full of bumps. Anyway, I put wallpapers on all walls and ceiling and painted them afterward. However, I chose a paper of different color for one of the walls in the living room.

So, the landlord told me to either remove everything like the first day or change and paint the wallpaper of that wall in the living room instead. Well, the third option would be to come to an agreement with the next tenant! 

Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to do too much repair job in the apartment, so I want to keep it as minimum as possible. But, I also do not want to hire others to do these stuff as I know it will cost a lot even for small work. Since this is my first time to move to another place (in Germany), I like to hear people's advice on that. :)  

Normally the contract states, and expectations are, that the apartment should be left in the same conditions as when you moved in.  Which is normally a good condition because that is how the previous tenant left it.

Judging by the conversation you have had with your landlord, this is what he is asking for.  But in the end you need to agree with him, and it seems that he has offered a compromise of agreeing with the next tenant.  Problem is, if they are not found/agreed before you move out then you don't have this option!

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But in the end you need to agree with him, and it seems that he has offered a compromise of agreeing with the next tenant.  Problem is, if they are not found/agreed before you move out then you don't have this option!

Sure, and I do not mind making it like the first day, even it is much easier for me to just make all the walls naked like the first day (as in the contract).

But, as people are visiting the apartment these days, I was wondering how to discuss it with them such that it could be more convenient for both of us (me and the next tenant). In fact, the landlord told me that whatever agreement I make with the next tenant (regarding the paint) we need to write it down and sign it before I move out.

But, as you pointed out, I am not sure if this option is possible or easy to work on!

31 minutes ago, bobMorane said:

But, as you pointed out, I am not sure if this option is possible or easy to work on!

At least it´s not unheard of. The manager of our property has done it repatedly. You´d have to draw up an "Übernahmevereinbarung" between you and the next tenant in which he/she accepts the current state of the flat while committing to at the landlord´s request hand it back to the landlord as you had received it when you moved in when their contract comes to an end. This Übernahmevereinbarung would then be referred to in the new tenant´s lease contract to which it will be attached.

11 minutes ago, jeba said:

At least it´s not unheard of. The manager of our property has done it repatedly. You´d have to draw up an "Übernahmevereinbarung" between you and the next tenant in which he/she accepts the current state of the flat while committing to at the landlord´s request hand it back to the landlord as you had received it when you moved in. This Übernahmevereinbarung would then be referred to in the new tenant´s lease contract to which it will be attached.

Good to know that. But, when should we write this "Übernahmevereinbarung" down? I think I need to know what to do about the walls at least 1 week before we move out (or even 2 weeks).

Go to the Mietverien. The cost of membership is a bargain. There you will get the information/facts you need!

p.s. There was a thread on this site  a few years ago  about this topic but i was unable to find it, sorry.  What I recall is it related to  some changes to rules or a court case about:  " no,renters don't have to paint".    Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

as far as I know the rules for painting are that any clause demanding the tenant paint every x years or so is unwirksam, and depending on how that is worded, can invalidate any requirement to paint the apartment.

however I don't think those rulings invalidate the requirement that the apartment is returned in original condition (excepting normal wear and tear)

23 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

as far as I know the rules for painting are that any clause demanding the tenant paint every x years or so is unwirksam, and depending on how that is worded, can invalidate any requirement to paint the apartment.

Then I have to check my contract again to see if it says anything about "demanding the tenant to paint ever x years". As far as I remember, in the contract, the original condition of the apartment was mentioned as something similar to "not painted!" or there wasn't any clause claiming that it was "painted". 

11 hours ago, bobMorane said:

Anyway, I put wallpapers on all walls and ceiling and painted them afterward.

Did you get permission from your landlord in writing to do this?

Painting is one thing but putting up wallpaper and painting it may mean a lot more maintenance/cost in the long run. I wouldn't allow my tenant to do it.

Do go to the Mietverein as suggested.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Did you get permission from your landlord in writing to do this?

Painting is one thing but putting up wallpaper and painting it may mean a lot more maintenance/cost in the long run. I wouldn't allow my tenant to do it.

Do go to the Mietverein as suggested.

Yes, they didn't mind it!
I'm sure your houses don't have bumpy walls like the ones I have here!  :D

1 hour ago, evildudette said:

Everywhere I've lived in Germany has had woodchip wallpaper, presumably to hide the bumps.

Yes! That's why I put up the wallpapers in the first place! :D

Anyway, the landlord is totally fine with them, even asking me to repaint them.

But, I apparently I need to talk to a Mietverein to find what my responsibility is in this tenancy agreement regarding the above! ;-)

Hi, I have a related question:

When I moved in five years ago, the previous renter did not paint the apartment, but instead just gave me some stuff in the apartment (curtains, a kitchen) in exchange. I am moving out now, and my landlord had a professional painter visit, and she submitted an estimate of 1795.46 including VAT for a 71 square meter apartment (with low to normal ceiling height) - my landlord is suggesting that I pay 1295.46 from that amount because he wants "a professional painter to paint the apartment after such a long time there". The paint is in normal condition at the moment (and quite close to what it was when I moved in) - I have not made any changes, or even put in some nails etc.

I seem to remember reading here that something changed about the rules regarding the responsibility of the tenant for painting.

I would be grateful for advice. Thanks ! 

ps. I guess I should just go to the Mieterverein ... 

On 4/5/2019, 12:49:21, evildudette said:

Everywhere I've lived in Germany has had woodchip wallpaper, presumably to hide the bumps.

no kidding.  what the hell is up with this?  I have personally skim-coated/finished walls to a beautiful, smooth, bump free surface.  It's not THAT hard.   

14 hours ago, madzientist said:

ps. I guess I should just go to the Mieterverein ... 

Yes, do this. In any event, never accept the first estimate without getting 2 or 3 others. Nice of your landlord to pitch in € 500, though. If you do have to paint, make sure you get that up front or in writing that she/he will pay upon completion.

Good luck!

"nice" if the renovations (is it really just painting included here?) are actually the tenant's responsibility :/  If these renos were clearly on the tenant, I kinda doubt the landlord would offer to be so nice and pitch in, would he?  

Of course anything is possible, and the OP should have the best sense of how trustworthy this landlord is, but on its face it sounds fishy to me.  All well and good to cite that the tenant has been there "a long time" (I don't think 5 years is a long time, personally), the fact that the paint was not fresh when OP moved in (and we have no earthly idea when the place was last painted at all) makes this argument even more questionable.

I had a similar arrangement with my vormieters (that I would paint) and I'm now regretting that as it appears this kind of agreement gets all kinds of messy at the end.  Oh well, too late :)

I found the attached paper which was signed by me and the hausmeister the day we moved in (5 years ago). 

Does this part of the tabular confirm that there was no painting nor wallpaper in walls and ceilings at that time?

c781c65d-5c23-4c4f-acf4-fed00a802b5a.jpeg