What to do with my car when I leave Berlin

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought a car back in January that is registered in Berlin. I am now on the road to Spain and I wanted to sell the car at a used dealership in Madrid, before getting on a flight back to Canada, where I’m moving back to for good. I was planning on just sending the plates back to Berlin after the sale, but now I am realizing it’s not this simple after all (yes, silly me).

Do you think there are any dealerships in Madrid that would buy a used vehicle that is foreign registered? And that would also take care of the de registration for me? I just learned you need the schein to de register, and wouldn’t I need to leave that with the buyer?

The car is only worth about 1200€ and I have to fly out of Madrid with my two dogs in the next few weeks. Getting rid of the car in Spain (in a short period of time) is more of a priority for me at this point, than getting my money back. Junkyard?

Any advice would be very helpful. 

Thank you. 

Typical post from Berlin. Your car also needs to pass the Spanish TÜV, so extra work and paperwork for the used car dealer. It requires Spanish license plates. Not sure if that is interesting enough for your low-value car. You could try.

Send the plates and papers and a power of attorney to a friend in Berlin who will do the de-registration for you.  If you have no friends then go to a Zulassungsdienst and talk to them and ask them if they can do that for you via post.

Then get rid of the car in Spain, give it away, sell it to a dealer, sell it in a junkyard, whatever.

Thank you so much for your responses. 

So I should send everything back to a friend in Berlin and get it de registered before I make the sale in Madrid? Doesn’t it need plates and the paperwork for me to even make a sale?

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Then get rid of the car in Spain, give it away, sell it to a dealer, sell it in a junkyard, whatever.

Doesn't she need to pay the Zoll in Germany first?

@engelchen: Did you notice that both Germany and Spain are in the EU?

You can buy a car everywhere in the EU drive it home and register it. In Heidelberg it would take you one day, in Berlin some months.

It's too bad you couldn't plan in advance.  Can you hire someone to drive the car back to berlin and have your friend sell it for you there?

18 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

@engelchen: Did you notice that both Germany and Spain are in the EU?

You can buy a car everywhere in the EU drive it home and register it.

Are you sure that there isn't either a MwSt or Umweltsteuer that needs to be paid in Germany? Keep in mind that there are still customs restrictions in the EU (think alcohol and tobacco).

In Heidelberg it would take you one day, in Berlin some months.

Yes, rub it in. BTW, it is weeks not months. 

15 hours ago, Phoenixathena said:

Thank you so much for your responses. 

So I should send everything back to a friend in Berlin and get it de registered before I make the sale in Madrid? Doesn’t it need plates and the paperwork for me to even make a sale?

AFAIK, you have to do the de-registration before doing anything in Madrid.   The German papers will be useless to someone in Madrid.   With the papers you get after de-registration you can register the car in another EU country.

Normally you don't sell a car with plates, they are yours.  But, OK, technically you can, some people trust the buyer and give the car with plates and ask them to do the registration under their name ASAP, but plenty of people think that's dangerous.

I think you should talk to a Zulassugnsdienst, they might know better.

14 hours ago, engelchen said:

Doesn't she need to pay the Zoll in Germany first?

That I don't know.  I did the opposite, I bought a car with Italian papers and registered here.   I had to wait until the seller de-register the car in Italy and then I register it in Germany.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

AFAIK, you have to do the de-registration before doing anything in Madrid.   The German papers will be useless to someone in Madrid.   With the papers you get after de-registration you can register the car in another EU country.

From my experience, this advise is completely wrong! At least, don't de-register before you're really sure that this is how it should be done!

I registered my German car in Sweden and the process was roughly like this (and it should be the same in all EU):

- Asked the Swedish car registration authority to register my German car - for this they will do a "control of origin" and for that they need the German registration papers in original.

- Made a TÜV style "registration inspection"

- Got new  Swedish plates (very quickly by post)

- Done (the de-registration in Germany was handled automatically)

The process was very quick and easy, but if I would have de-registered already in Germany I wouldn't have been allowed to drive the car to Sweden and also don't know how I could have registered the car at all in Sweden (at least it would have been much more complicated).

I kept the German plates for some years in case they wanted them back, but they never did.

And, no, there are no VAT or tolls within EU for a used car that you own.

Still, I'm not sure how fast this will be handled in Spain.... and doing this and then selling the car within a few weeks could be tough.  Also, you (or someone) needs to insure the car in Spain and maybe pay the yearly car tax (if there is one in Spain).

You should be able to find Spanish web pages explaining the process in Spain.