How to legally annoy your live-in landlady/landlord?

12 posts in this topic

So, before starting my post, I'll clarify that I've already tried to talk to this person and solve things rationally. I'm not trying to annoy her for no reason at all -- being annoying is my last resort.

So, I live in a rented room in a classic German house (you know the type -- narrow, several floors, pointed roof). My landlady owns the whole building and she lives downstairs, but because most of the other rooms are vacant she frequently occupies them too. So, this means I have no other "private" space than the room itself.

At first, the relationship wasn't too bad. I did notice she was a bit weird and brusk when addressing me sometimes, but attributed it to her being old and, well, German. But things have started going downhill.

Regarding myself, I will say I'm not a perfect Mieter. My room is a bit of a mess sometimes, I grab cleaning products from the building shed and forget to put them back for a day or two, etc. But, really, that's all there is. I don't smoke, I don't bring people, I'm out of the house most of the time, I never listen to music from speakers and I don't even switch the TV on. The only time we've had an incident was when I came back home around 11 PM and walked a bit heavier than usual, and 2 minutes later her husband was banging my door.

However, I noticed that she started "relaxing", so to say, and treating me with less politeness. She still, to a big extent, thinks that she can control 24/7 the state in which I leave the room. The times in which she's been in the flat, she's told me to leave windows closed at all times, the bathroom door open at all times, and one time she came in while I wasn't there (I gave her permission to come in), she closed a window that I'd left open even though it wasn't raining or anything. Then, the cherry on top was playing very loud music in the middle of the night, thus waking me up, not answering when I banged at her door multiple times, not apologizing when I sent her a message and only when, the following morning, I sent her another message telling her to please not repeat it answering alogn the lines of "oh, so sorry, next time please just knock on the door if it's too loud". *eyeroll*

I have a Mieterschutzbund membership and am willing to call the police if she plays loud music again, but other than that my German is not that great yet and it's been really hard to confront her. Really, pettiness is all I have to no go mad right now. Do you have any ideas on how to annoy her, legally of course? So far, all she's gotten is a subscription for a religious cult pamphlet, but I'd love any suggestions.

There is a rule in Germany, that Mieter and Vermieter shall not live in the same house.

You broke that rule.

5 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

There is a rule in Germany, that Mieter and Vermieter shall not live in the same house.

You broke that rule.

Really? Gosh is there anything they don't have rules for :D

@ the OP - find a new place to live - sounds like you are living with right hill billies.

oh my gosh this is just dumb.

get your own place, or find a wg with like minded people.  I can't grasp how this arrangement ever seemed like a good idea.

32 minutes ago, bigguskultus said:

So, I live in a rented room in a classic German house (you know the type -- narrow, several floors, pointed roof). My landlady owns the whole building and she lives downstairs, but because most of the other rooms are vacant she frequently occupies them too. So, this means I have no other "private" space than the room itself.

You only rented the one room, Silly. Did you expect to have free run of the whole house?

She feels disrespected when you don't take care of their property. I would, too.

Put in your notice, find a new place and be decent until then if you want your Kaution back.

For those who are asking, the reason why I rented this place was because I discovered that my previous Vermieter was involved in criminal activity, so I had to leave the flat ASAP.

How could I agree to this arrangement? First off, as if you didn't get that from the post, I'm a foreigner. Renting a place in NRW is already hard enough without speaking fluent German. When I had to find another place once I knew my previous Vermieter was a drug dealer I did not stop to be picky about the kind of place I stayed in.

I have tried to look for another flat and have an ad put up, but it's not getting any candidates. What do you expect me to do about that?

Secondly, what exactly am I not taking care of? Is there a rule in Germany that says a rented room has to be spotless and tidy 100% of the time? I work two jobs, and when I get home I honestly don't feel like cleaning or tidying up most of the time, but I still spend at least one day of my weekend cleaning the entire place.

2 minutes ago, bigguskultus said:

Secondly, what exactly am I not taking care of? Is there a rule in Germany that says a rented room has to be spotless and tidy 100% of the time? I work two jobs, and when I get home I honestly don't feel like cleaning or tidying up most of the time, but I still spend at least one day of my weekend cleaning the entire place.

I was only stating your landlord's possible perception. Good that you give it a good clean once a week. Why not buy your own cleaning products to avoid the other problem? I've never heard of a landlord supplying cleaning products before.

Just now, fraufruit said:

I was only stating your landlord's possible perception. Good that you give it a good clean once a week. Why not buy your own cleaning products to avoid the other problem? I've never heard of a landlord supplying cleaning products before.

I largely use my own cleaning products. She provides special "organic" cleaning products for the bathroom and kitchen for any of the Mieter to use. This was specified when I moved in -- I'm not just grabbing random stuff from sheds and assuming it's OK to do so.

I have 5 flugelhorns. One very special job for pleasure and concerts, one workhorse for outside events. I have three to sell for 300 Euros a throw. Would you be interested in learning to play brass? It will drive her nuts. And you will get a lot out of the music-making. Quiet times between 12 to 15hrs and after 22hrs, official holidays and Sundays. You will be contributing to the cultural life of your host country.

1 hour ago, bigguskultus said:

Do you have any ideas on how to annoy her, legally of course?

hand in your notice asap, bound to annoy the hell out of her..

Ok, so as everyone has already noted, clearly this is not a good situation for you, and the best thing would be for you to move into a new place. Also, it is REALLY silly to try to be vindictive, as has no real winners, can be a real waste of time and can often backfire (and it is really childish)...so in retrospect I think it was very petty of someone to have chained and locked a broken bicycle (or was it an old fridge) to the car door handle of a mean landlord...and posting things with insufficient postage is daft, or mean if the actual contents are something unpleasant in a jiffy bag. Data protection rules mean that these days you shouldn't share contact details with online marketers/telesales companies, which is probably a good thing too.

On a more serious note, opening the bathroom window when you shower will stop mould. That's something you can raise as an issue.