Einbürgerungstest - Becoming a German citizen by naturalization/Partnership

18 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I live in Berlin and soon I would like to apply for citizenship through marriage. I would like to do  Einbürgerungstest as soon as possible. But I have 2 questions:

1- do I need to go to the integration course before taking the test?

2- where can I find dates/test centres? (I searched but most of them are through VHS only!) 

Anybody can recommend me a good source for studying for this test?  

Thanks a lot,

Sarah

I am not in Berlin, but think its the same everywhere. You can do the test without doing a course, and as far as I am aware it is only available through the VHS. I just called and asked when the next test was and booked in, it was very easy to get an appointment and the tests seem to be timed to be at the end of a course so easy to find when they are likely to be

Surely, if you are allowed to marry a German citizen, you don't need to pass any Einbürgerung test.

3 minutes ago, cybil said:

You can also take the telc B1 test at a language school. I decided to go the extra mile (not required) and paid for a few days of test review (we did parts of a model tests for the B1 and then went over the answers so over those days we had done a complete B1 test) and then took the actual test at that school. If you feel you need a little brush up and prep that's a good thing to do! There are also books with model telc B1 tests in them/audio that you can use for review at home. My B1 telc test was considered acceptable so you don't have to go through the VHS necessarily. Good luck! 

Einbürgerungstest is a separate entity to the language test.

23 minutes ago, Acton said:

Surely, if you are allowed to marry a German citizen, you don't need to pass any Einbürgerung test.

Of course you do!

Being married only reduces the number of years you have to be in Germany before you can apply, the other criteria all remain the same.

40 minutes ago, Acton said:

Surely, if you are allowed to marry a German citizen, you don't need to pass any Einbürgerung test. 

27 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Of course you do!

Being married only reduces the number of years you have to be in Germany before you can apply, the other criteria all remain the same.

Actually, there might not be a need to. VHS stated that if a non German citizen has successfully completed the integration course (june 2012 onwards) required by Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, there no need for this part since it is already incorporated to the required Integrationskurs.

1 hour ago, thegreatdivide said:

Actually, there might not be a need to. VHS stated that if a non German citizen has successfully completed the integration course (june 2012 onwards) required by Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, there no need for this part since it is already incorporated to the required Integrationskurs.

But that is nothing to do with being married to a German or not!

I am married to a German and I had to go jump through exactly the same hoops as anybody else when I applied last year.  In my case I had already been in Germany long enough, so the reduced number of years did not help me.

46 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But that is nothing to do with being married to a German or not!

I am married to a German and I had to go jump through exactly the same hoops as anybody else when I applied last year.  In my case I had already been in Germany long enough, so the reduced number of years did not help me.

Right. Everybody has to go through the same process. I’m referring to the one who said there is no need to take the test, which is true if the person already took an integration course— regardless if they married a German citizen or not. You’re right it has nothing to do with being married to a German citizen. This is true.

17 hours ago, thegreatdivide said:

Right. Everybody has to go through the same process. I’m referring to the one who said there is no need to take the test, which is true if the person already took an integration course— regardless if they married a German citizen or not. You’re right it has nothing to do with being married to a German citizen. This is true.

Ok sorry.  Due to the way the quotes looked then I misread what you meant (yesterday was not a good day for me!)

What I meant was; if you are married, you don't need to become a German citizen. You can stay happily as you are.

Is there any way to opt out of the Integrationskurs? My wife has been in Germany for almost 2 years on a working visa (§81 Aufenthg) and we will just be changing the type of visa (§28 Familiennachzug zu Deutschen) She is a registered nurse and has gone through the process of Anerkennung to be allowed to work here as Krankenpflegerin. She also has a B2 certificate and an unlimited work contract. Is it possible to opt out? Based on §44a Aufenthg I would say she can opt out but the decision would be made by the ABH ultimately. Has anyone had a similar situation ?

She hasn't been asked yet. But at one of the times we went there before when we did not file the application (They said she has to do a Namenserklärung and we were not ready with the changed name on her passport) he said she might have to do that.

Anyway, from what I can see she might not need to. But the ABH has some degree of discretion. Our appointment isn't for a while.

On 4/2/2019, 11:02:10, sarahddd said:

Hi all, 

I live in Berlin and soon I would like to apply for citizenship through marriage. I would like to do  Einbürgerungstest as soon as possible. But I have 2 questions:

1- do I need to go to the integration course before taking the test?

2- where can I find dates/test centres? (I searched but most of them are through VHS only!) 

Anybody can recommend me a good source for studying for this test?  

Thanks a lot,

Sarah

1. I didn't need to do the integration course. I just went to my Standesamt in Charlottenburg to get a list of everything I had to provide. The language test and citizenship test were included in the list. I think only the VHS holds the tests but you definitely don't have to have lessons. I would suggest downloading all the questions, learning them and sitting the test at a VHS in Berlin. 

I just printed these out (10 questions per page- category) and you can see there are some repeat questions just worded differently. http://oet.bamf.de/pls/oetut/f?p=514:1:142935141196::::: Maybe the questions are different for 2019. Good luck.

On 03/04/2019, 13:29:11, generalmartok said:

Is there any way to opt out of the Integrationskurs? My wife has been in Germany for almost 2 years on a working visa (§81 Aufenthg) and we will just be changing the type of visa (§28 Familiennachzug zu Deutschen) She is a registered nurse and has gone through the process of Anerkennung to be allowed to work here as Krankenpflegerin. She also has a B2 certificate and an unlimited work contract. Is it possible to opt out?

Opt out? No. Opt out would mean that foreigners could decide not to do it. 

Rather your wife can simply take the Leben In Deutschland test and submit the results along with her B2 Test results, thereby, fulfilling the requirement without taking the course.

Thank you, that was what I was looking for.

On 4/7/2019, 12:26:54, engelchen said:

Opt out? No. Opt out would mean that foreigners could decide not to do it. 

Opt out was probably a poor choice of words. I meant to ask if there was a way around the entire full length Integrationskurs for individuals that have fulfilled other criteria, such as a B2 exam and a Staatliche Anerkennung

3 hours ago, generalmartok said:

such as a B2 exam and a Staatliche Anerkennung

A Staatliche Anerkennung is probably not enough on its own, however, if she completed her Ausbildung here and it included a module in Sozialkunde or Gemeinschaftskunde she could probably use that instead of the test. On the other hand, Leben in Deutschland is a multiple choice test where the questions all come from a published catalogue of questions (including the answers!); it is not rocket science and should not pose a challenge for your wife to learn the material on her own.