The 2020 US Presidential candidates

1,043 posts in this topic

This is a faux libertarian talking point "Nobody helped me so screw those worse off."  It's hardly notable and transparent on its face.

On 1/27/2020, 7:11:37, AlexTr said:

This is a faux libertarian talking point "Nobody helped me so screw those worse off."  It's hardly notable and transparent on its face.

I'm really on the fence about this one. Not so well off people worked hard and sacrificed a lot to put/help put their kids through school. I would be pissed off had I done the same.

The only solution is free education.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm really on the fence about this one. Not so well off people worked hard and sacrificed a lot to put/help put their kids through school. I would be pissed off had I done the same.

The only solution is free education.

Agreed. This would help end generational poverty, as well.

Well. In Germany education ist mostly free. However ist still considered mainly your family background as reason of successful schooling.

34 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm on the fence too and think a solution somewhere between "nothing" and "full debt forgiveness" is probably more reasonable and easier for all to swallow.

restructuring of existing loans and strict laws that prevent lenders from playing games with borrowers is very much in order, I think.

It's really hard to argue that it's somehow a "good" idea to leave the issues current borrowers face alone as bottom line is a huge drain on the economy when all those young people are sinking all their money into debt repayment instead of spreading it around...I'll oversimplify it by  saying buying "stuff".  I get the moral side of it, no, it's not "right" to just write all that debt off.  But pragmatically something needs to be done to offer some relief as this snafu is shooting the greatest consumer nation right in its heart.

Listen to all the industry "experts" complaining about how long-standing successful businesses are faltering because milennials "don't spend" - ffs THEY CAN'T!  

The consumer debt crisis is a mess and people are going to have to choose between "schoolyard fairness" and large scale economic stability.  As usual.

Piss up in a brewery springs to mind. 

Iowa caucus: Democratic chairman calls for review of vote totals

The chairman of the US Democratic National Committee (DNC) has called for a review of the vote totals in the contest to pick a presidential nominee in Iowa, after an array of problems.

Final results of the caucus held three days ago are still not available, with counting beset by technical problems and delays in reporting.

"Enough is enough," said Tom Perez. He said he wanted to ensure accuracy.

Pete Buttigieg and Bernie Sanders took the lead in initial caucus results.

Around 97% of the state's precincts have reported their results so far, but it is unclear when the rest of the results will be released.

The party blames the delay on a coding error in an app, called Shadow, which is being used for the first time to report the votes.

Anyways, how come no one has mentioned them commie Russian bastards, yet? 

It's all a bit quiet for my liking! 

;)

Highly entertaining watching the Dems fuck up this Iowa thingy. Seems the majority want Bernie and are still livid Hilarious stole the nomination last time. 

HF - they still blame the Russians whereas it has been demonstrably proven that owing to the download speeds the leak of the DNC server to Wikileaks could only have been an inside job by a disgruntled Bernie Staffer - this is where Seth Rich comes in. This video explains clearly that it was not the Russians:

The Iowa party ran this caucus, not the DNC.  Facts matter. Take several seats.

22 hours ago, AlexTr said:

The Iowa party ran this caucus, not the DNC.  Facts matter. Take several seats.

What do you mean by "ran"?   

Who made the decision to bring in the untested, failed app?    Anyone who has seen the financial backers of the company which developed the app notices that those people are not generally identified as Iowans.   

Who made the decision in favor of a re-canvas?   Tom Perez - head of the DNC.    

Huckster Rachel Maddow on MS-NBC has blamed 4-Chan members for clogging the phone lines.    Another crackpot boogeyman theory.    :lol:

Again with the no facts comes @balticus.

Here are the researched and verified facts.

In a statement on Twitter, Shadow Inc. apologized for the delay in results and confirmed that it “contracted with the Iowa Democratic Party to build a caucus reporting mobile for local officials to use” during Monday’s caucus. 

State fundraising reports from Iowa’s Democratic Party show party officials paid Shadow Inc. more than $63,000 in November and December for “professional fees.”

You really never learn.

Bernie wins New Hampshire in a narrow victory.

Current Delegate Count:

Sanders: 9 total 21

Buttigieg: 9 total 23

Klobuchar: 6 total 7

Biden is hoping for a Hail Mary in SC. Stranger things have happened...

New Hampshire is so vanilla that I don't think you can get a good feel yet. I've heard that Mayor Pete isn't popular with the blacks in South Bend. Still up for grabs.

My favorite sound bite from the coverage was:

New Hampshire is a microcosm of America...except for the minority vote of course...

we got old white people and young white people, rich white people and not so rich white people...

NH lacks any true discernible inner city. NH has the lowest poverty rate in the nation and under 2.5% unemployment.

It is a microcosm of white, educated, middle class America.

SMDH

13 minutes ago, tor said:

Bernie wins New Hampshire in a narrow victory.

Current Delegate Count:

Sanders: 9 total 21

Buttigieg: 9 total 23

Klobuchar: 6 total 7

Biden is hoping for a Hail Mary in SC. Stranger things have happened...

Clinton did not win Iowa or NH and still won the nomination. Clinton won the yellow colored states and Sanders won the green colored states. This is far from decided.

Democratic Party presidential primaries results, 2016.svg

2 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

This is far from decided.

of course.

Super Tuesday is gonna be huge. Biden left NH before the voting even began.

7 minutes ago, tor said:

of course.

Super Tuesday is gonna be huge. Biden left NH before the voting even began.

I think it was a foregone conclusion that this was Bernie's to lose. Also, it's really not enough delegates to fret over. I want to see what happens in CA, MI, FL, and NY before I get too excited about anyone taking the lead.