Business Ideas outside of IT

18 posts in this topic

Okay my question is really broad. I've been thinking of doing some side business that's lucrative and isn't related to software engineering, data science, web development etc. What business ideas have you guys ever thought about as fitting for the Munich or even a broader audience? I was thinking of providing services to foreigners living in Munich in order to make their lives easier. The exact nature of the services, I am not sure about :D. I don't know if you guys have other suggestions. I'll be grateful. Cheers

49 minutes ago, ayodeji said:

I've been thinking of doing some side business that's lucrative and isn't related to software engineering, data science, web development etc.

Sell insurance, become a makler, those are the typical businesses I know of.  Or teaching english, but that is typically not what Id call lucrative.  What skills do you have, what kind of work permit?

13 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Sell insurance, become a makler, those are the typical businesses I know of.  Or teaching english, but that is typically not what Id call lucrative.  What skills do you have, what kind of work permit?

I'm doing a PhD. I can actually do IT work but I would rather do something else. I have links to many immigrants from Africa coz I'm also African.I'm not sure if these are skills in and of themselves

Unless you have a European passport or special permission from the authorities, I don't think you're allowed to start a business as a foreign student - not even a PhD student.

15 minutes ago, ayodeji said:

I'm doing a PhD. I can actually do IT work but I would rather do something else. I have links to many immigrants from Africa coz I'm also African.I'm not sure if these are skills in and of themselves

I've worked with a Tunisian who also wanted to do business with African countries. 

All were naif shady schemes which revealed absolutely no knowledge of German laws.

I knew a German insurance salesman in Hamburg c 1995 who was friends with an African Bishop in Hamburg and this Bishop was charming and funny. The Bishop recommended to his congregation they should contact this German for a pension plan. The German guy got about 200 sales in a few weeks! He thought he was onto a winner financially!

But, within a year , ALL the contracts had ended (clients hadn´t kept up payments!!) and he had to pay back a helluva lot of commission....

He probably went out of business..dunno...

No, Kommentarlos! There are laws! Just saying! READ my link!

By the way, I am not in any clubhouse. I avoid clubs, don´t play golf, don´t wear blazers!

:lol:

Do you really think that at my age (66), I am worried/panicking about an individual who might flog insurances in Munich? 66 is a difficult age...too old for sex, to young to play golf!

So, please read the link from an official source and beg for forgiveness (it is Sunday!! )...

:D

51 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Unless you have a European passport or special permission from the authorities, I don't think you're allowed to start a business as a foreign student - not even a PhD student.

Does this imply that one cannot even own a blog and make money off of it for example? Or offer services online as an IT consultant?

18 minutes ago, john g. said:

No, Kommentarlos! There are laws! Just saying! READ my link!

It was more an observation regarding the spoed at which you always jump onto these insurance threads. The internet ink barely has, as usual, the chance to dry. 

Since I am not planning on flogging insurances from the back of a robin reliant anytime soon I will decline your kind offer to read up on the topic. 

15 minutes ago, ayodeji said:

Does this imply that one cannot even own a blog and make money off of it for example? Or offer services online as an IT consultant?

You need to see what is written in your residence permit documentation. Noone can answer that question for you I am afraid. 

This is not an insurance thread! I was replying to zwiebelfisch´s post!

Just curious why you jump so quickly onto my posts!:P:P

Why not be positive and comment on the FACTS I posted a link to?

Your prejudice before your pride?

IF you think the OP has the right to become an insurance broker/flog insurances or whatever, why not say that? " Hey, babe..just do it."

Wouldn´t that be fake news (in modern parlance )?

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

This is when excellent people such as Engelchen may have to think whether it´s worth responding yet again and getting abuse from some (not you )... 

10 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

You need to see what is written in your residence permit documentation. Noone can answer that question for you I am afraid. 

Yes to your first point...I agree. No to your second point but you are too cynical to accept SOME posters on Toytown  know their onions..

Your platitudes aside, WHAT do YOU offer on here expertise-wise? Go on! You never answer such questions!!!

:P

19 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

They can of course probably help you if you let them know what paragraph your. visa is. Paragraph16? Paragraph 20? These are both usual for doctorsl degree candidates. And what it says in the additional paperwork to accompany your eAT.

23 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

They can of course probably help you if you let them know what paragraph your. visa is. Paragraph16? Paragraph 20? These are both usual for doctorsl degree candidates. And what it says in the additional paperwork to accompany your eAT.

Right now I have a Fiktionsbescheinigung and it doesn't say the class of visa that I have

13 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

They can of course probably help you if you let them know what paragraph your. visa is.

Edit: not visa, residence permit. Wrong term. 

If you currnetly have a Fiktionsbescheinigung, is it attached to a visa to enter Germany or were you already in Germany and are in the process of changing your previous residence permit?

Here is an overview of the sorts of residence permits that are offered to researchers with their different pluses and minues.

https://www.hrk.de/fileadmin/redaktion/hrk/02-Dokumente/02-07-Internationales/02-07-05-Mobilitaet-und-Anerkennung/HRK_Leaflet_Residence_Permits_3_2018.pdf