Internet company

17 posts in this topic

Could anyone please recommend me an internet company?

I was sharing internet with a neighbor, and he is moving out soon.

So I need to have my own internet.

I do not use desk phone, do not watch TV. All I need is internet. Since I work full time, I use internet only in evenings and weekends.

I heard quite a few negative stories about internet contract. So if possible, do not like contract.

What would be best option in my case?

In my experience all the companies in germany (not only germany) suck in one or more ways.  Even with a "no contract" alice contract I still discovered it was next to impossible to cancel.

Im currently with telekom and have had no problems, though I have heard from others that they are terrible.  I suspect that as long as you chose a well known brand there isnt much to chose between them, its anyway mostly telekom under the covers so the only thing you are deciding is the price and which level of painful the service line is (somewhere between bad and very bad).

10 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

What is Unitymedia wifispot?

Its some kind of free service using hotspots.  Im not 100% sure but it seems very similar to the kind of free internet offered in cafes.

4 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Its some kind of free service using hotspots.  Im not 100% sure but it seems very similar to the kind of free internet offered in cafes.

But it still needs contract I think .

Why not read their website?

https://www.unitymedia.de/privatkunden/internet/unitymedia-wifispot/

As far as I can tell its free for up to 2 hours a day, but for full service you need to sign up and pay.  

At the end of the day, you have some open hotspots you can use, or your phone but for anything more you probably end up with a contract.  This is germany, contracts suck. Thats just how it is.

41 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Could anyone please recommend me an internet company?

Aren't there about a gazillion threads already on internet provider recs?

47 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

I was sharing internet with a neighbor, and he is moving out soon.

Maybe this one?

25 minutes ago, catjones said:

Maybe this one?

He says he is using unitymedia wifispot.

That sounds similar to a Telekom hotspot. I've used Telekom's hotspot offering and it is just about ok if you have no other options (marginally better than an Aldi internet stick, which really isn't saying much - but is also be another option for you). You can pay for a day, week or month. However, if you need the internet (rather than just wanting to be able to be on line from time to time), you're probably better off biting the bullet and getting a contract.

I was planning to get Unitymedia Wifispot contract, but I tried to connect my computer to the internet, and it does not work.

I got a new computer, and installed Linux Mint 19.1, wifi driver rtl8821ce.

So I get list of wifi available. If I click on other wifi choices, a window pops up for me to enter password, but if I click on Unitymedia Wifispot that my neighbor uses, a circle is running for a while, then nothing happens.

Their website says an account for the wifispot can have 5 devices connected simultaneously. So I disconnected my cell phone from the wifispot. Still no luck with PC.

The wifispot works perfectly on my cell phone. My neighbor says his PC has windows.

Any one ever experienced this, and any solution?

I use Telekom and think it's overall a reasonable deal. 

With "Call & Surf Comfort IP (Speed)" and "CountryFlat", for less than 45 EUR per month (including taxes) I get 3 FestNetz numbers, unlimited calling to Western Europe, North America and Australia, and access to Telekom's "WLAN to go" which provides access to all the Telekom hotspots.  For "WLAN to go" one must have a "special" router at home that can simultaneously provide Telekom_fon wifi signal for strangers - but even those are now available used on eBay at lower prices than from a T-Punkt. 

4 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

I got a new computer, and installed Linux Mint 19.1, wifi driver rtl8821ce.

Why don't you call their tech support for help setting it up on a Linux system?

5 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

Why don't you call their tech support for help setting it up on a Linux system?

I do not think it is part of their service. The computer came with no OS. I had to install by myself.

Avoid 1&1. Their customer service is not only incompetent, but also impolite.  

In case that you have a problem, they won't bother fixing it. 

We like 1&1 and have had them for years. Himself called them last week and asked for a € 10 per month discount or he would join MNet. She said OK and made it 3 months retroactive so we got € 30 plus we now pay € 10 less each month. Fortunately, we've never need any customer service as far as I know.

On 3/29/2019, 1:38:43, SmurfLee said:

The computer came with no OS. I had to install by myself.

I meant the tech support of the Internet provider