Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on buying a washing machine

23 posts in this topic

So the apartment block washing machine has finally gotten the better of me. Sick of having to go down stairs to the basement just to see that it's in use and having to repeat this every hour especially when I'm down to my last set of jocks! Also the fact that the bloody thing only takes 50c, so I need to have a stash of these ready... but probably the most annoying is that 50c gives you 35 mins of electricity but a bloody wash takes 75 mins so you always have to put in 50c to get the last 5 mins ;)

So I'm going to invest... although I'd much rather put it towards a nice flatscreen TV!!

Theres a small storage room in our kitchen that I can use and there is already a hole drilled to connect under the sink. Going to make the purchase this weekend through an online company from Berlin who can deliver it and install it for €50 cheaper (or so their website says) than picking it up from Saturn here in Hamburg!! My contract states I have to get a professional to install it, so the online deal seems best.

Now I'm not very uptodate with washing machine technolgy and their accompanying parts as I've never had to buy one but I see on some washing machine sites that people who previously bought a washing machine also bought other bits and bobs like pipes and connections. I would have thought that everything you need would come included?? Anyone know?? Don't want these guys to turn up and not be able to connect it.

That's good to know. Those additonal parts must be for people who are not within range of the water suppy!

I bought one not long ago and it came with 2 burly guys!! :$

( who installed it for me and took away the old one!) It all took 5 minutes.

Going for a Siemens toploader... unfortunately a normal washing machine won't fit!

Still would be better than the current situation!

Took away the old washing machine or the old man?

The old Zanussi!! Don't think anyone else would have him am Buro!! ;)

okay, this looked like the most general topic I could find.

What should one consider when buying a washing machine? Right now I have to refurnish my apartment so price is obviously an issue for me. I'm guessing i want a good rpm on mine too. Is this "aquastop" function absolutely necessary? I'm guessing it means it's there to prevent flooding.

The Saturn has a lot of products by this company "Beko". Seems to be a UK company. Any of y'alll know them? Seem customer reviews, not good.

can you add "aquastop" to a washing machine if it does not come with it?

a friend is lgiving me her Miele washing machine, but my colleague keeps bugging me about getting a special hose with aquastop on it.

Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying a combined Washer/Drier (my Bonn apartment doesn't have a separate drying room, and is freezing even in summer, so no idea how else to get clothes dry when the real winter rolls along :-) ).

At the moment, my eye is on the Whirlpool AWZ 514, getting it from Redcoon who operate just on the internet. There are a couple of things I'm not too sure about -

1. I rarely see Washer/Driers in the shops like Saturn, etc. Is there something about them which is scaring the locals away from them? :)

2. Is Redcoon a safe place to buy? A few years ago, someone had some trouble and posted on TT, but there've been no recent updates. http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t58586-30.html

Any advice or insights are welcome...

Many thanks!

Misch

Washer driers have one advantage: They're smaller than two machines. Other than that they tend to just have disadvantages like higher cost to buy and run, more difficult to maintain and possibly more likely to break, probably not as good at their jobs as two separate machines because of the inevitable compromises to get two into one, you can't wash and dry at the same time, if one breaks they both break and so on. Most buildings do have a wash room in the cellar so space isn't such an issue, hence the preference for two machines.

No idea about redcoon but a search on the .net should show up their reputation easily enough. My favourite site for this sort of thing is Geizhals and that link shows redcoon get a very good review. There are always single cases where things go wrong, but generally the masses can't be wrong.

Hi folks,

I'm looking at buying a combined Washer/Drier (my Bonn apartment doesn't have a separate drying room, and is freezing even in summer, so no idea how else to get clothes dry when the real winter rolls along :-) ).

At the moment, my eye is on the Whirlpool AWZ 514, getting it from Redcoon who operate just on the internet. There are a couple of things I'm not too sure about -

1. I rarely see Washer/Driers in the shops like Saturn, etc. Is there something about them which is scaring the locals away from them? :)

2. Is Redcoon a safe place to buy? A few years ago, someone had some trouble and posted on TT, but there've been no recent updates. http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t58586-30.html

Any advice or insights are welcome...

Many thanks!

Misch

Have you checked amazon.de yet? Same machine but 45 Euros cheaper than redcoon. To me the Samsung washer/dryer looks like a better deal though (better reviews and specs). Are you sure air-drying is not an option?

edit: Nevermind. It seems like redcoon is actually 4 Euros cheaper, but only if you go through geizhals or a similar website. If you go to the redcoon website directly, they charge you 50 Euros more.

Mischinab - I've bought a couple of small items from Redcoon and I got what I paid for.

However, check the : delivery terms for large items carefully.

Under "Großgeräteversand" it states "die Ware wird an der Bordsteinkante abgeladen und nicht ins Haus getragen".

Washing machines are often very heavy so that they don't move around during the spin cycle. Under Redcoon's delivery terms you will have to carry the machine from the roadside in to your own apartment yourself. I hope you have strong friend(s) and don't have to climb many stairs.

A quick update on my washing machine experience.

I decided to use Redcoon to buy a washing machine with a built in drier, and found it to be a good overall experience. I used their online chat and their phone number to clear up some questions about delivery times and costs, and got all my questions answered in English. There was some problem using a non-German credit card, but they also offer a Cash-on-delivery service (for about €10) which worked well.

After placing the order with Redcoon, the washing machine was sent off the next day and the delivery company gave me a call to organise a time & day. On the delivery day I couldn't actually receive the delivery so gave them a call at 7am and they postponed without any extra charges. Delivery was just to the inside of the door on the street, as usual for these kinds of things, so we just had to drag it into the washroom, unpack it and get the connections all sorted out.

So overall, I had no problems with Redcoon and was actually a little impressed with the pre-sales services they gave over the internet chat & phone, and also the flexibility in the delivery. It's been about 3 months now, and it's all working quite well. Looking forward to a winter without having to trudge through sleet and snow to the local laundromat :-)

Thanks folks for your advice in this forum... it's been priceless!

Hi Friends,

Im Residing in Harburg,Hamburg. I'm looking for a Second Hand dealer who is selling a Used WashingMaschine/Drier.

Since my assignment here is a Short term I'm looking for a Used stuff (I hand wash it now :( )..

Can Anyone suggest me a dealer who deals with these stuffs in Hamburg???

Looking forward for ur reply.