International shipping item (Paprika)

52 posts in this topic

My sister sent me a parcel from South Korea last Tuesday which is by DHL after arriving this land.

The parcel has skin lotion and dry paprika power. I think skin lotion has no problem for international shipping, but not sure about paprika.

I checked with tracking number. It arrived Germany last Friday, and handed to DHL. Then there is no update ever since then.

In my previous experience, it should arrive yesterday. I started to worry if the paprika (dry powder) is causing any problem and the custom has to check.

Anyone any experiences? 

On 3/21/2019, 10:44:59, SmurfLee said:

I just realize that a lot of people working in those Hermes DHL receptions are from middle east.

Maybe you got stuck with a middle eastern DHL guy again. 

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

I started to worry if the paprika (dry powder) is causing any problem and the custom has to check.

Customs check all packages from outside the EU, no matter the content, which means - worst case - that your package could be stuck in customs for a few weeks:  https://www.google.com/search?q=customs+charges+site%3Atoytowngermany.com

I hope your sister remembered to stick a filled in and signed CN22 customs declaration on the package: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/12467085213_904db02a3d_b.jpg

If she forgot, you will be asked to go to the customs department and to open the package in front of them, so that they can see that its value was below the threshold for gifts of 45€:  https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-aus-einem-Nicht-EU-Staat/Zoll-und-Steuern/Geschenksendungen/geschenksendungen_node.html

If it arrived to Germany on Friday you are being impatient.  It is a non-EU package.

---

Completely off-topic:

@generalmartok ... DS9 was one of my favorite ST series.   

QAPLA'

27 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Customs check all packages from outside the EU, no matter the content, which means - worst case - that your package could be stuck in customs for a few weeks:  https://www.google.com/search?q=customs+charges+site%3Atoytowngermany.com

I hope your sister remembered to stick a filled in and signed CN22 customs declaration on the package: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/12467085213_904db02a3d_b.jpg

If she forgot, you will be asked to go to the customs department and to open the package in front of them, so that they can see that its value was below the threshold for gifts of 45€:  https://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen/Postsendungen-Internetbestellungen/Sendungen-aus-einem-Nicht-EU-Staat/Zoll-und-Steuern/Geschenksendungen/geschenksendungen_node.html

Yes, she wrote down the value as 35 euro.

I think I mistook.

The tracking information says:

Fr, 22.03.2019 07:38 --
Die Sendung wird ins Zielland transportiert und dort an die Zustellorganisation übergeben.

"wird" means "shall". But it is strange to understand. "Shall" has past time.

7 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

"wird" means "shall".

Not necessarily. When used as a helping verb, "werden" can also convey the present progressive (...is being transported...).

Customs will inspect the package in any case.

4 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Not necessarily. When used as a helping verb, "werden" can also convey the present progressive (...is being transported...).

Customs will inspect the package in any case.

It was sent out on Wed. afternoon last week from a small city. I think it arrived Seoul on Thursday, left South Korea the earliest on Friday.

Even non-EU parcels are checked by random sampling. Previously, parcels from my sister arrived, sometimes in less than a week.

Could anyone please tell me what the tracking information say about arrival time to Germany. I think it only says the parcel left South Korea on Friday.

Die Sendung wird ins Zielland transportiert und dort an die Zustellorganisation übergeben.
Fr, 22.03.2019 02:27 --
Die Sendung ist im Export-Paketzentrum eingetroffen.
Mi, 20.03.2019 15:29 --
Die Sendung ist im Start-Paketzentrum eingetroffen.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

It was sent out on Wed. afternoon last week from a small city. I think it arrived Seoul on Thursday, left South Korea the earliest on Friday.

Even non-EU parcels are checked by random sampling. Previously, parcels from my sister arrived, sometimes in less than a week.

Could anyone please tell me what the tracking information say about arrival time to Germany. I think it only says the parcel left South Korea on Friday.

Fr, 22.03.2019 02:27 --
Die Sendung ist im Export-Paketzentrum eingetroffen.
Mi, 20.03.2019 15:29 --
Die Sendung ist im Start-Paketzentrum eingetroffen.

Patience young grasshopper. It's just lotion and paprika. Or was the paprika for your hurty knee?

25 minutes ago, theGman said:

Patience young grasshopper. It's just lotion and paprika. Or was the paprika for your hurty knee?

It is just too much trouble to go to Zollamt. It is not near by, also they close so early. I have to take at least half day off.

If your sister declared the package value at €35, you may end up being over the €45 limit anyway, after postage is added (which it is when determining the customs value).

I had to go to the customs office a while back to pick up a single bottle of hot sauce that my brother sent me as a birthday present, because he put a return address label from his business, which led the officials to believe that I had ordered it commercially.

It's just a risk you take when you have people send you stuff from abroad. As others have noted, you can buy paprika powder for your hurty knee in Germany. too.

54 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

If your sister declared the package value at €35, you may end up being over the €45 limit anyway, after postage is added (which it is when determining the customs value).

I had to go to the customs office a while back to pick up a single bottle of hot sauce that my brother sent me as a birthday present, because he put a return address label from his business, which led the officials to believe that I had ordered it commercially.

It's just a risk you take when you have people send you stuff from abroad. As others have noted, you can buy paprika powder for your hurty knee in Germany. too.

How bad. She always wrote her residential address before. I do not know why she just told me this time she wrote her company address  :(

It will take very long time then this time!

I have to forget about this for a while until I receive letter notice.

This is so strange.

My sister went to their post office in Korea, and their record shows that the parcel is accepted at Frankfurt airport around 8pm on Friday 22 March.

But with tracking number on DHL website shows last update is 7am on Friday 22 March at export in Korea. I called DHL, DHL says according to their record, parcel is still in Korea! DHL says if it is at German custom, their record will show it.

My sister sent me lotions and clothes and some Korean food before several times, and usually arrive within a week. This time is so strange. The custom says there is no problem with lotion or hot spicy.

I do not know what I can do now. It seems like they lost.

Ok, I am not perfectly honest. Since over 40 euro parcel, I would have to go to custom and pay tax, my sister wrote only 35 euro, and what is in the parcel is over 40 euro.

It seems like the parcel is lost, and we would be able to get 35 euro.

On 3/26/2019, 12:10:58, RedMidge said:

That is so sweet of your sister, but inform her you can buy skin lotion and really good paprika powder here;)

You can get paprika powder here, but it doesn’t compare to Korean paprika, which I was lucky to have received as a gift once. 

16 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

You can get paprika powder here, but it doesn’t compare to Korean paprika, which I was lucky to have received as a gift once. 

Yes, but my sister already sent to me, and it would be pity if the parcel is lost. In fact, I feel quite angry.

2 hours ago, SmurfLee said:

Yes, but my sister already sent to me, and it would be pity if the parcel is lost. In fact, I feel quite angry.

It’s most likely stuck in customs. I got my VC oil from Hongkong really late too and it was opened and leaking. They probably needed to check if your paprika powder is not some colored illegal sniffing substance. 😁

2 hours ago, thegreatdivide said:

It’s most likely stuck in customs. I got my VC oil from Hongkong really late too and it was opened and leaking. They probably needed to check if your paprika powder is not some colored illegal sniffing substance. 😁

But DHL told me that if it is in custom, their system would show it. Their system does not show anything about custom. This is really frustrating.

34 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

But DHL told me that if it is in custom, their system would show it. Their system does not show anything about custom. This is really frustrating.

I agree, that can really be frustrating, this is why we will never order personal care products from outside Germany. Too much hassle. Although this can also happen to gadgets from Asia. My friend ordered a phone. It says it was already in Frankfurt. But it never arrived. After a long wait, nothing came. The product was allegedly “lost”. Too late to report to the seller as return date has alread passed. Hopefully you get your package soon. 

Ok, finally update on DHL. It says the item is picked up from custom.

I interpreted it as DHL delivery picked up the item, and either they will deliver it to me or Zollamt.

It was in Frankfurt airport/custom 22 March - 3 April, almost two weeks. Unbelievable.

I thought Germans are efficient. What happened this time?