Built-in kitchens in rented accommodation

31 posts in this topic

Anyone had any experience of selling their built in kitchen when moving out?

We will be going back to Scotland in March and unless we get it sold before we go and live without a kitchen :o for a while, I can see untold hassle on the horizon or us being ripped off.

It may sound stupid but cant you sell it to the people moving in? When we rented our house the kitchen was only 6 months old and we dived at the chance to buy the fully fitted kitchen off the previous "chef"!!

Or are you leaving the apartment/house empty?

What's the kitchen like in your new house in Scotland ? - you could take the German kitchen with you .

When we looked at this house it was empty so there is no guarantee the landlady will have a new tenant lined up, and even then will they want to buy it? They may have got one to bring with them!!! What a crazy system this is!! :wacko:

The kitchen in my new house is lovely!! and it's a bigger room anyway so taking it with us is not an option.

I can just see us back in Scotland trying to sell a kitchen in Celle to a total stranger and being ripped off or losing out altogether. :huh:

If possible, try to sell the kitchen 2-3 weeks before you leave or to the new tenant.

Trust me, having had NO KITCHEN FOR A MONTH, it's not as bad at it seems, you really find ways to improvise (i.e. eating out/taking out often, washing dishes in the bathroom sink, storing food on the balcony).

Sandra,

I have no idea what the depreciation on kitchens is. Have you looked at second hand kitchen prices to get an idea?

If someone (such as a new tenant) knows you are desperate to sell they may drive a hard bargain so I agree that selling a few weeks before you leave may be worth it. Also, I would be clear that the buyer removes the kitchen themself.

Also, if the landlord had difficulty finding a tenant last time, would s/he be interested in buying the kitchen from you? It may be easier to find the next tenant as houses with kitchens are becoming increasingly popular.

Hi Sandra, when I moved back to Scotland a few months ago I sold mine on EBay, take a few photos and offer it to people at a starting price of 1 euro, you'll be surprised how many people buy kitchens these days on ebay, we did this after seeing a report on TV about it. The price shot up and we got a good deal (anything's better than letting the landlady get it for nada !)

Just make sure you state in the auction that it's "nur an selbstabholer" and that it needs to be taken apart by the winner (Saves you damaging it!)

Good luck in Scotland, I moved back 6 months ago and have never looked back, got a 300 year old fully modernised cottage on the banks of the Forth, in a lovely herritage village with a view of the Ochills ! Bliss !!!

:D

Good luck in Scotland, I moved back 6 months ago and have never looked back, got a 300 year old fully modernised cottage on the banks of the Forth, in a lovely herritage village with a view of the Ochills ! Bliss !!!

So there is a life after germanknee :D

I wouldn't mind being a postman in the Grampians :P

Thanks everyone! I never thought of eBay!!

We will ask the landlady first though but I won't hold my breath there! We will give her plenty notice and stress the need for us to flog the kitchen to someone...anyone!!! in the hope she'll get her finger out finding a new tenant.

We just had visions of having to leave it behind and seeing diddly squat for it...and we have just shelled out for a 4 bed semi in Acacia Avenue, Suburbia ( Milltimber on the outskirts of Aberdeen) so every penny will help initially no doubt! Graeme's looking forward to spending time in B&Q!! Not!!! :D and John Lewis here I come!! :P

We're moving to Germany next year and are going to be renting, and now I've started looking at flats on 'Wohnungen zu mieten' websites I see that the majority come without an Einbaukuche (at least the photos often suggest lack of one - but are photos often taken at time of building/Sanierung?). I wonder what people do re. kitchens. Does one usually have to buy one? And sell it when you move out? If the previous tenants bought one, did they take theirs with them? Why so few built-in kitchens?

You'll find the beginnings of an answer here: Kitchens and renting an unfurnished apartment. Unsurprisingly, the questions of kitchens or lack thereof comes up quite often. You'll find lots more threads on the subject on the forum, just do a search for "kitchens" and browse the various threads.

When you rent a flat, you rent the flat. Period.

Doesn't include a fitted kitchen.

You can either buy a new one and have it fitted (check the lead time!), buy off he old tenant (HUGE issues to watch out for then, espeically if you are comepteting for a flat) or put a kitchen together yourself through bits and pieces.

Or there's sometimes another option. My last apartment had a fitted kitchen which was owned by the landlord. We had the choice of either renting the place with the kitchen for a slightly higher monthly rent, or taking the place without a kitchen. He would remove it before we moved in. We chose to go with his since our last two apartments had come with built-in kitchens and we didn't have our own. Not common, but thought I'd mention it.

That happens only in weird places like the south. In normal places the kitchen is included.

I would not call Berlin a "normal place". I would call it a suburb of Moscow.

Don't expect appartments to have fitted kitchens. (Houses for rent mostly will have kitchens)

The cheapest solution would be to buy a kitchen at IKEA.

Call Berlin whatever you want, but the kitchen is normally included here.

Out of 18372 apartments available for rent in Berlin on immoscout24, 7476 have built-in kitchens. So more than half of renters in Berlin don't get a kitchen included. :P

You meant they have a fitted kitchens, most of the other ones have crappy not-fitted ones. Seriously, most apartments have kitchens here. There are actually too many apartments and it is not that easy to rent them (except in trendy areas), apartments with no kitchen are obviously more difficult.

The non-fitted kitchens are ugly and crappy, I know because the first apartment I rented when I came to Berlin had one. But at least it was something.

My apartment's landlord built a new kitchen for the apartment when I first moved in, and everyone that came by to look at the apartment now that I'm leaving were so excited about the kitchen already being built in. If it's up to standards it's a huge plus. Unless the person you want to take the apartment wants their kitchen inside!