Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

End Job - Leave Country during final vacation?

6 posts in this topic

The situation is, if the job contract (which was in Probezeit but that ended by the employer) ends 31.05.2019, and (which I hear is very common and the case here) the job requires me to take the accrued vacation days, I would be on "vacation" from 13.05.2019-31.05.2019 (basically the last 3 calendar weeks of May).

The question then is, after I notify the BFA (early May), can I leave the country (i.e. permanently, example: 16.05.2019) during this vacation? The obvious reason would be, to resume my life in my home country earlier (rather than wasting 3 weeks doing nothing here)? Or, do I have to be in the country till the end employment date (or even a few days after it) legally?

If I can leave during vacation, that would be quite convenient. However, please let me know if this isn't really possible (at this point I'm not asking the employer because it hasn't happened yet, but 50% possible).

If your employer (that is, the one with whom you will be employed up til your leaving date) is not taking your passport (that's the thing that you need to cross borders) then why shouldn't you be allowed to leave? (Assuming you are worried you won't qualify for the money?)  I have no idea.

43 minutes ago, silty1 said:

If your employer (that is, the one with whom you will be employed up til your leaving date) is not taking your passport (that's the thing that you need to cross borders) then why shouldn't you be allowed to leave? (Assuming you are worried you won't qualify for the money?)  I have no idea.

Not sure, ever since learning about Anmeldung and potential fines I'm doing things by the book here. I have my passport.

The main concerns are for the BFA and visa (or anyone who is concerned about my employment ending that needs to be reported to), including the employer themselves needing me to come in.

Is it common to leave during vacation leading up to the official ending date? Saving myself 2-3 calendar weeks at this stage will be huge (to return to old job and not waste any time)

47 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Also, it's not only about leaving, but I don't want to come back after the official end date for other paperwork (having mail forwarded already). Would cost too much.

As long as you have completed everything then needs to be done then it shouldn't be a problem.

Just be aware then when you do the Abmeldung then the tax office will change your tax class to 6.  As long as your company has already paid you every owed this should not be a problem.  But you might want to check when exactly is the "cut off" date for processing your final salary actually is, as ideally you don't want you tax class to change before this date (maybe add a a few working days to be sure).  Some companies might have this as late as the 2nd or 3rd week of the month!

If it does change then you can still get the money back when you do the tax return, as you will anyway probably be owed money for not working a full year in Germany then you should anyway do this.  It just takes longer to get the money back.

56 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

As long as you have completed everything then needs to be done then it shouldn't be a problem.

Just be aware then when you do the Abmeldung then the tax office will change your tax class to 6.  As long as your company has already paid you every owed this should not be a problem.  But you might want to check when exactly is the "cut off" date for processing your final salary actually is, as ideally you don't want you tax class to change before this date (maybe add a a few working days to be sure).  Some companies might have this as late as the 2nd or 3rd week of the month!

If it does change then you can still get the money back when you do the tax return, as you will anyway probably be owed money for not working a full year in Germany then you should anyway do this.  It just takes longer to get the money back.

Yes tax is a concern, say I left 15.06 (with Abmeldung) but contract ended 30.06, would potentially be tax issue, even the Lohn Bescheinigung has "Dauer des Dienstverhältnisses", which would state the last official date of work term.