Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Importing a New Car From the UK

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on importing a new car from the UK to Germany?

I have seen threads discussing bringing used cars over and bringing imports from the USA but not a NEW car from the UK.

Due to a discount I can get in the UK it might make financial sense for me to jump through the bureaucratic hoops required.

The car would already be LHD as it can be ordered like that from new.

So I was hoping someone could tell me how to go about it, and what the overall costs might be.

Thanks!

Peter.  

You can import any new car from any EU country without much hassle.  

You export the car without paying VAT in the country of purchase, then import it in Germany and have to pay the German VAT amount and register the car fully here.  There is paperwork to do but it is simple.

The problem of course is that in a few weeks the UK will not be an EU member.  Therefore it is not clear what happens and if you might have to pay import tax + German VAT or not and if you might have to get the car certified by TUV before it could be registered!   Nobody knows, so you would have to assume the worst.

7 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

The problem of course is that in a few weeks the UK will not be an EU member.

Really, is there something you know that nobody else does?

8 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

Really, is there something you know that nobody else does?

At the time of writing, that is the situation!

16 hours ago, Petedln said:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on importing a new car from the UK to Germany?

I have seen threads discussing bringing used cars over and bringing imports from the USA but not a NEW car from the UK.

Due to a discount I can get in the UK it might make financial sense for me to jump through the bureaucratic hoops required.

The car would already be LHD as it can be ordered like that from new.

So I was hoping someone could tell me how to go about it, and what the overall costs might be.

Thanks!

Peter.  

I wrote my response in a bit of a hurry, but here is some more information for you, it covers importing from inside or outside EU.  If you import from outside then you need to pay 10% import tax + VAT.  More details in the link.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/import-car.html