How much amount I get back if I buy laptop for working ?

2 posts in this topic

I work as Software Developer. I want to buy a new laptop for work. My question is, if I buy a laptop of cost 1500 Euros then how much I will get back in tax return ?

Second, if I buy laptop from foreign country e.g. USA, still I would be able to apply in tax return ?

Third, Do I have to get in writing from my employer that they do not provide laptop and I need it purely for work ?

These are related questions but do not address my query.
https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/26405-tax-deduction-for-buying-a-laptop-for-work/

and

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/374349-tax-deduction-from-buying-laptop-for-work/

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Hafiz said:

I work as Software Developer. I want to buy a new laptop for work. My question is, if I buy a laptop of cost 1500 Euros then how much I will get back in tax return ?

That will depend on your tax rate. You have to amortize the cost over 3 years (so 500 per year), which will reduce your net income by 500 per year. If your marginal tax rate is 40%, you'll get 200 back (assuming you can convince the FA that you use it only for business; see below). If you don't have any other expenses, however, it will be included in your blanket deduction (the Arbeitnehmerpauschale).

 

53 minutes ago, Hafiz said:

Second, if I buy laptop from foreign country e.g. USA, still I would be able to apply in tax return ?

Yes.

 

53 minutes ago, Hafiz said:

Third, Do I have to get in writing from my employer that they do not provide laptop and I need it purely for work ?

You could try. It might sound suspicious, however. Normally, if your employer requires you to have a laptop, they will provide it for you. If the FA doesn't buy that you're using it only for work, then they might not recognize the entire amortization amount as a business expense.

 

Please note that I'm not an accountant and the above does not represent proper tax advice.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now