Gymnasiums/schools in Lorrach and surrounds

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

My family and I are moving to Basel (German side) in the middle of the year.  We would like to live in Lorrach, Grenzach Whylen or surrounds, however I am concerned about schooling options for our children. We have a 10 and 8 year old, both of whom speak very little German, despite having a German father.  We cannot afford an international school.  I am mainly concerned about our 10 year old, as she will be going into gymnasium. They are bright kids and I'm sure they will be fine in time, however I'm trying to make the transition as smooth for them as possible. It's our intention to stay long term.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and had either good or bad experiences integrating their children into the schools in that area? Does anyone know of any particular gymnasium in the area that is more English "friendly" than others?  Thanks in advance.

Hi,

when exactly are you moving?

School year in Germany ends at the of July and then restarts in September(at least for Baden-w)

Have you thought about having your kids redo a year. That is a pretty common recommendation from the Toytown families.

I have a ten year old who is currently in third grade. We held him back and he stayed an extra year in kindergarten.So having a ten year old in 4th grade is no big deal and quite common here.

This will give your kids some more time to adjust. Plus, without the language, getting into a gymnasium will be hard if not impossible. 

The 4th grade in Germany will be stressful enough.

What school they can go to will depend on where you live.

Unless you go the private route...

There are many families here that have gone through this process.

You won't be able to put a child into a gymnasium in Baden-Würtemberg with no German, especially since most are doing the 13-yr Abitur now in 12 years. There are lots of threads on that here.

Your oldest will in the the best case go to Realschule starting 5th Class (convince the school she can speak German) till end 10th, then switch to an Aufbau Gymnasium for years 11, 12, 13 for the bright kids. I know a family who did that with their daughter from England (German father), she repeated year 5 to start with the other newly-started yr 5s, now is good marks-wise for switching to the Gymnasium for yr 11.

School here is not like school in the English-speaking countries. Everything you read here on the threads is true (and happens also to the Germans).

Let the kids redo a year in order to learn German and then take it from there.

@ZA1234: Abitur either takes 8 or 9 years. You don't include primary school where all pupils are on the same level.

All three of my older children were placed down one grade when we came to Germany.  No big deal, and it was good for them.
In fact, my younger daughter spent 3 years in fifth grade, one in the US, one in the village school in Germany, and the final year in Gymnasium. She's the only one of my kids who made her Abitur, at almost 21.

6 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Abitur either takes 8 or 9 years.

True. G8 or G9 plus 4 years primary school = 12 or 13 years at school. Or 10 years Realschule + 3 years = 13 years at school.

7 minutes ago, katheliz said:

A She's the only one of my kids who made her Abitur, at almost 21.

The daughter of my friend will be 20. Perhaps better though- In the end more mature/get better marks than the 17 yr old who statred youngest in the class, and did the G8. Friend's child wants to study medicine, so holding thumbs for her.

Thankyou everyone for your replies. This process is becoming more complicated by the day!

My daughter is very bright (A+ student), however I know that this won't count for alot when learning in another language.  My intention was to enrol them in public school and hire a German tutor for 2-3 hours a day until they pick up the language.  We could look at enrolling her in grade 4 (she is 10, turning 11 in December), so at worst she will be 1.5 years older than the youngest student.

We are looking to move in August, with the intention of starting school in September.  I think the best thing for us to do is for my husband to ring a local school and talk to the enrolments officer.

From my experience I can recommend a Montessori school because as part of their system older kids have to explain things to younger ones (repeating things for themselves along the way) and because they mix several grades in one class. Therefore, peer-to-peer interaction will be more intense which will help a lot picking up the language and there is much less risk a bright child will be bored by repeating a year as they can choose what to work on (within limits, of course), so that your daughter could put a focus on learning German.

It would also not hurt to talk to the local "Schulberatungsstelle" (school carreer counselling place of the DoE) or whatever the equivalent is called in Baden-Württemberg. I found them helpful (that was in Bavaria though).

15 minutes ago, jeba said:

From my experience I can recommend a Montessori school because as part of their system older kids have to explain things to younger ones (repeating things for themselves along the way) and because they mix several grades in one class. Therefore, peer-to-peer interaction will be more intense which will help a lot picking up the language and there is much less risk a bright child will be bored by repeating a year as they can choose what to work on (within limits, of course), so that your daughter could put a focus on learning German.

It would also not hurt to talk to the local "Schulberatungsstelle" (school carreer counselling place of the DoE) or whatever the equivalent is called in Baden-Württemberg. I found them helpful (that was in Bavaria though).

Thanks for the advice! Would it be difficult after to transition to a gymnasium? My husband and I are quite academic and we have would like our children to follow the same path, so her going to gymnasium at some point in her near future is a priority for us.

Can I also confirm - the age that determines the school year is the age at the beginning of the school year? My son is 8 and my daughter 10, so normally they would go into grades 3 and 5 respectively?

59 minutes ago, Ozonthemove said:

Would it be difficult after to transition to a gymnasium?

I don´t know about the system in BW. In Bavaria it´s possible. Your local Schulberatungsstelle will know about BW.

35 minutes ago, Ozonthemove said:

Can I also confirm - the age that determines the school year is the age at the beginning of the school year? My son is 8 and my daughter 10, so normally they would go into grades 3 and 5 respectively?

Again, this may be different in BW. In Bavaria there is some flexibility. When my kids returned after having been abroad for 7 years they were given guest-status and I could negotiate with the principle what grade they´d go to (and change during the year). I´d guess it´s similiar in BW. But again, the Schulberatungsstelle will know details.

1 hour ago, Ozonthemove said:

Not necessarily.

In Germany, children start elementary school at age 6, or at age 7 (if their parents decide so), so there will be a spread if ages in every class.

Here's a thread relating to children of the same ages as your children...click on the blue title. Although the area is different, I believe that most educational principles are similar across Germany.  

As others have already said, without a good level of German, it's likely that schools will suggest that your children go back a year. As the ages in a class can vary by up to 2 years, this is in no way a negative.  Your children will be able to learn German with far less pressure.  When we were in the same situation some years ago when my daughter was 11, all teachers suggested that the best way to learn German is through play and general social activity.  

Private tuition will also be necessary.  This can cost around 10-20€ per hour for a private tutoring individual and around 45€ per hour for a tutor through one of the many after school help organizations...i.e. Schülerhilfe.  An 'hour' is generally 45 minutes.  https://www.schuelerhilfe.de/nachhilfe/loerrach/

I suggest that you contact the Schulamt in that area to ask for advice...http://schulamt-loerrach.de/,Lde/Startseite.  Generally,  children are required to attend a primary school close to their home.  

The school system in Germany is really complicated.

It is possible if your kids grades  are good enough to switch to a gymnasium later, or that they take a different route to do their Abitur. But they need the German language to do this.

This website will give you a basic overview.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/germanschools.html