Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Notice Period (shortly after Probezeit), how to approach?

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I have Probezeit ending end of April, and there is a chance I might not want to stay.

My contract has a (German language) requirement of "6 weeks notice before end of Calendar quarter", although I hear that the legal minimum is 4 weeks for a new employee (based on years of service), so this is significantly more notice (only 4 times per year, vs basically any month).

Ideally, I want to stay around till July 31, however based on my contract the only option would be to give notice for June 30 or September 30.

I have 2 questions:

1. is it common for employers to "negotiate" and agree on a more convenient notice period? If not, am I better off simply choosing the best calendar quarter for me, and give 6 weeks notice? or should I gamble (i.e. reach June and request July 31 departure)?

2. is accrued vacation time paid out? (i.e. 30 days per year (none taken), with a departure date of July 31, means (7/12)*30=~17 days, so would I give notice for 31.07.2019 (where my "last working day" would be 17 business days before 31.07), or would my "last working day" be 31.07.2019 (and I would receive cash payment upon severance)?

6 weeks is kind of long for the probation period. In most of the cases it is just 2 weeks. 

Are you sure that the 6 weeks applies for the probation period? 

Just now, Deezz said:

6 weeks is kind of long for the probation period. In most of the cases it is just 2 weeks. 

Are you sure that the 6 weeks applies for the probation period? 

No, it is the period after Probation. I mentioned probation since it is ending end of April (however I prefer to stay till July rather than leave now, causing great confusion given the limited options of notice periods).

2 hours ago, jonnypp said:

1. is it common for employers to "negotiate" and agree on a more convenient notice period?

Depends on the company, the position, and their satisfaction. 

2 hours ago, jonnypp said:

If not, am I better off simply choosing the best calendar quarter for me, and give 6 weeks notice? or should I gamble (i.e. reach June and request July 31 departure)?

Depends on how you feel about staying. If this place won't drive you out of your mind if you stay a couple of months longer, I will advice for that. Leaving a company after exactly 6 months does not look great on a CV. Other recruiters would think that you have been terminated. 

Just now, Deezz said:

Depends on the company, the position, and their satisfaction. 

Depends on how you feel about staying. If this place won't drive you out of your mind if you stay a couple of months longer, I will advice for that. Leaving a company after exactly 6 months does not look great on a CV. Other recruiters would think that you have been terminated. 

I am also considering staying longer (July) rather than later (for other personal reasons).

As for the 6 months (the short term stay), I am not sure how much extending it a bit more will help. So far I haven't had much to do and I fear if I start a large project (which is still unlikely by July given the speed here), I might be leaving "without finishing the job" (despite the notice).

Either way, how common are custom notice periods (where employee suggests a date outside the contract requirements, and the employer agrees on that, or a similar date).

I have another (past job) lined up in my home country, and came here to Germany to see if I liked it (I have basically decided to spend the rest of my career at home). I do not need the job by any means, I just want to end it smoothly and return home by July.